Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1

If I plan to get the Sony A100 dSLR later on, I will be concerned whether could I use Tamron or Tokina lenses for it without any problems? I read that that they support Minolta dSLRs, will it be the same for the new Alpha mount as well? Thanks.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/355/cat/23
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Absolutely.

Any lens designed for Minolta Autofocus Cameras will also work on the new Sony DSLR-A100, and the new Sony lenses for the Sony DSLR-A100 will also work on Konica Minolta DSLR models.

It's the same camera mount and protocol (the way the camera and lens communicate with each other).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Alright, now it is settled. I am relieved to hear that. (I really like that Tamron F2.8 zoom). :|
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:07 PM   #4
Administrator

I haven't heard from anyone that's used this lens yet. If you go that route, let us know how you like it.

I've seen mixed reviews of the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8; and Tamron's new f/2.8 lens in this focal range may be a better choice.

Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Make sure you buy the correct lens. The link you posted with prices went to this Tamron in Canon mount.

You'll need the lens for Konica Minolta DSLR models (and I'm unaware of anyone that has it in stock right now in the U.S.).

This lens is available for Nikon, Konica Minolta, and Canon DSLR models.

You'll need the one with the Minolta mount to work on the Sony DSLR-A100. The mount is different for each camera brand (you can't use a Canon mount lens on a Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR). ;-)

http://www.tamron.com/news/35mm/1750di2_2006.asp

Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:03 AM   #6

The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 is not as good as the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 one according to reviews. :-)Maybe the MTF isn't as great on the Sigma, incidentally the lens is also slightly cheaperthan the Tamron one according toSLR gear.com.

So can I use the new Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 on the A100 since it was designed for Minolta mounts as well? (Ihavethecertainty that the Alpha A100 also has the same lens mount as theMinolta dSLRs right?).

Regards.

EDIT: Oh, got it!

I should be getting the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 zoomwith the Minolta mount isn't it? :-)

Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:19 AM   #7
Administrator

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I should be getting the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 zoomwith the Minolta mount isn't it? :-)
Right. You posted a link to it in Canon mount (which won't work). Get the one that says it's for Konica Minolta or Minolta DSLR models. There is only one Minolta Autofocus Mount (and this is an Autofocus Lens).

So, make sure it says it's for Minolta or Konica Minolta cameras and it should work on a Sony DSLR-A100.

Now, with older lenses, make sure you're buying an Autofocus Lens designed for Minolta cameras (since there was a different mount for Minolta manual focus cameras, and these lenses will not mount on a Sony or Konica Minolta DSLR.

Any AF lens designed for Minolta AF, Maxxum, Dynax or Minolta A Mount should work. They're all the same mount, referred to in slightly different ways in some of the descriptions. But, there is only one Minolta Autofocus mount, and that's the one the new Sony DSLR-A100 is using.