Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:07 PM   #11
Administrator

Another option you may want to look at is using the camera's built in flash as a trigger (using a piece of a milk carton or similar material as diffuser over it -- but, you'd need to make sure it's got enough "juice" to trigger the slaves that way).

Wein makes a "Digital Aware" slave trigger that is designed to ignore a preflash if your existing strobes can be triggered via a PC Sync Port connection. They run $79.95 a 3 pack at B&H (or $34.95 each).

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Triggers

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:03 AM   #12

JimC wrote
Quote:
Wein makes a "Digital Aware" slave trigger that is designed to ignore a preflash if your existing strobes can be triggered via a PC Sync Port connection. They run $79.95 a 3 pack at B&H (or $34.95 each).

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Triggers
Ah, good to know! I didnt realize such a thing existed.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:23 PM   #13

About the EF-500 'dumb' slave mode... Have you tried it?
I've found the following setup works perfectly (I was a bit surprised when I first tried it):

I frequently use two flashes, a minolta 5600 hs (d) and a sigma ef-500 super. I trigger the minolta using minolta proprietary (optical) wireless, and the sigma is in the dumb-slave-mode. I'm not sure if it's the 5600 or the built-in that triggers the sigma, but it works fine :-) I'm using both in manual - strobist style ;-) Oh, and sync maxes out at 1/125.

I recently got some ebay radiotriggers as well, but so far I have been unable to get it to work with the minolta 5600 - it's just not triggering. I have a sb-24 that's working fine though.

(using 7D, btw)

//marc
marc.englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:30 PM   #14

I never figured out how to trigger the ef500 optically AND set its power level manually with the 5d. Too much trouble, too expensive of a flash to putz with like that.

I sold both, now I use a 7d, nikon sb24, and the ebay trigger. I also employ an old vivitar 2800 for a second light but cant seem to set its power manually....
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote