Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1

I'm looking for a CHEAP shoe-mount manual-only flash for my 5D, primarily I want to use it with an omni-bounce for a little fill and to trigger my slave.

WHY? I cant control the power level of my sigma ef500dg super manually in wireless mode. I cant trigger it as a 'dumb slave' with the camera's popup flash because of the TTL preflash. So I need a manual flash in the shoe, besides a little fill from camera position would be desireable. Buying a 7D for this one feature is not economical.

Whats out there thats compatible? Perhaps its time to get a standard ISO shoe adapter? I have an old vivitar flash for my konica TC and a quantary that works with a minolta 5000 but both have different shoe styles, I have no idea if they would work with a standard iso shoe adapter. Where would I get such an adapter?

Please start your own thread if you want to talk about things which cost more than $50. If I had the wherewithal for alien bees or a pocket wizard, I wouldnt ask this question.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP shoe-mount manual-only flash for my 5D, primarily I want to use it with an omni-bounce for a little fill and to trigger my slave.

WHY? I cant control the power level of my sigma ef500dg super manually in wireless mode. I cant trigger it as a 'dumb slave' with the camera's popup flash because of the TTL preflash. So I need a manual flash in the shoe, besides a little fill from camera position would be desireable. Buying a 7D for this one feature is not economical.

Whats out there thats compatible? Perhaps its time to get a standard ISO shoe adapter? I have an old vivitar flash for my konica TC and a quantary that works with a minolta 5000 but both have different shoe styles, I have no idea if they would work with a standard iso shoe adapter. Where would I get such an adapter?

Please start your own thread if you want to talk about things which cost more than $50. If I had the wherewithal for alien bees, I wouldnt ask this question.
I think JimC uses a real inexpensive Sunpakfor under 50 bucks with a Minolta hotshoe adaptor, but I'm sure he'll be along anytime soon to fill in allthe details to a solution for your dilema.

BTW, There are several other compelling reasons to get the 7D, but it is certainly cost prohibitive to buy one just as a second camera. Now if you had bought the 7D first, you then could have gotten a real bargain on the 5D as a second camera like I did.

[align=center][/align]

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:45 PM   #3

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

Please start your own thread if you want to talk about things which cost more than $50. If I had the wherewithal for alien bees, I wouldnt ask this question.
Not sure how well this works, but here's a cheap trigger on EBAY that mounts a transmitter on the camera and a receiver on your flash.You would have to get a shoe adaptor to make it fit the 5D shoe. It also comes with a PC synch cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180004343585

Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:06 PM   #4

i just got a sunpak 333 D, for around 35 dollars, and got a third party flash adapter for around 15. my friend has an eos 20d with a canon speedlite, and he pretty much uses it for the same reason i use my sunpak, only i spent 200 dollars less. it swivels and all that jazz too.

i even got it to do some high speed flashes, a bit tricky to use considering there is no manual, but theres fun in finding out things yourself

... who reads a manual anyway???

oh and my sunpak 333 was meant for the minolta xd series, i think this is the same stuff jimc uses, anyway i got the idea from him, i'm seure he'll post somethin about it too.

one more thing, the minolta made flash adapter is around 35 to 50 on ebay, and the one i got has pretty much the same things, the pc flash sync port i think (well i dont use it). only thing different is the 3rd party one has a weird shape but heck i dont care.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:21 PM   #5

Sunpak 383, 433D or 422 workall well. I got lucky and got a Sunpak 36DX for about $10 from ebay. Just make sure you don't pick up the 433AF versionbecause it is dedicated and cannot be controlled manually.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:40 PM   #6
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
oh and my sunpak 333 was meant for the minolta xd series, i think this is the same stuff jimc uses, anyway i got the idea from him, i'm seure he'll post somethin about it too.
I wouldn't be too sure. I just now noticed this thread (I don't read every post). lol

tmoreau:

The trigger voltage is likely too high to use some of the older Vivitar strobes via the Minolta FS1100 or third party equivalent (an adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe).

Depending on the strobe, you'd risk frying your camera.without voltage protection (and the FS1100 does not have voltage protection).

Here is a page discussing trigger voltages from common strobes, with links to pages on how to measure trigger voltage:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

AFAIK, KM has never published the specs for max trigger voltage for the hotshoe in the 5D or 7D. So, you really don't want to go much over 6 volts. I'm personally comfortable with anthing under about 9 volts (and the ISO spec is supposed to be 24 volts).

For PC Sync Cord attached strobes, you can use the Minolta PCT-100.

Unlike the FS1100 (which is only a mechanical adapter), the PCT-100 has voltage protection built in for PC Sync cord attached strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts.
The PC Sync port in a 7D also has voltage protection built in.

I've got an old Vivitar with trigger voltages that would be too high for use via an FS1100. Heck, I just gave one away to my brother-in-law because it was not of any use to me (an older Vivitar 273).

Get yourself a Minolta FS1100 or a third party equivalent and you can find cheap flashes with relatively low trigger voltages for triggering strobes.

I've got a 3rd party adapter that does the same thing (only mine also includes a PC Sync Port but no voltage protection).

If you search for FS-1100 (with the -) on Ebay, you'll see a vendor in Hong Kong selling them for about $14.95 plus shipping. BTW, this third party adapter also has a PC Sync Port (but, it offers no protection). Look at the photos carefully and you'll see it.

I spent a total of $48 for a flash system to use with my 5D (and that included two flash units). I had to buy new "used" flash units, since the ones I've got have trigger voltages that are too high. LOL

* $16 for a third party adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe.

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7.00 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16).

GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Total Flash System Investment: $48

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:48 AM   #7

Thanks, I think my sigma ef500 super is going to ebay. Its too expensive to use it manually and thats where my intrests are now. It works great as a wireless ttl bounce flash though.

I might get that chinese fs-1100 adapter, thier wireless trigger, and a couple cheap flashes. I'll still have money left over from the sigma, even after buying an umbrella!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:50 AM   #8

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, I think my sigma ef500 super is going to ebay. Its too expensive to use it manually and thats where my intrests are now. It works great as a wireless ttl bounce flash though.

I might get that chinese fs-1100 adapter, thier wireless trigger, and a couple cheap flashes. I'll still have money left over from the sigma, even after buying an umbrella!
The hell with theflash... just light a few candles. :|

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9

I purchased a used Sunpak 333 and a Minolta FS-1100 and just love the results. I have even brought the 18-70mm kits lens out of the bag with use of the 333 flash and it is great. Took the recommendation from Jim and bought the Sunpak and saved a load of money for something that only gets occasional use.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:15 PM   #10

This is more what I have in mind:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02...-strobist.html

Its not just "cheap flash" that I'm going for, its "cheap trigger". Pocket wizards run almost $400 a set, so its $20 chinese radios or optical. Optical is losing fast in this comparison, and no way I'm using cords!