Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:07 AM   #11

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's the "standard" symptom for this issue (locks on first photo only after camera has been sitting unused for a while, requires a power cycle to use it again, frame taken is very dark).

You'll also see "ERR" in the viewfinder if you look for it.

KM's diagnostics show something about roller pressure in the shutter mechanism or some such thing.

Cleaning the contacts solved it for me (I haven't seen this issue in months, when it was occuring every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before cleaning the contacts).

Here's a thread with the same problem and there seems to be a mix of opinions on fixes.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=202158

Thanks, I hope it's still under warranty...
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:19 AM   #12
Administrator

Unless you want to get rid of your camera, I wouldn't send it in for service in the U.S.

Chances are, they'll offer a buyback instead of trying to fix it.

I'd clean the contacts and see if that solves it (including the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment) first.

BTW, I saw another recent post where someone changed batteries and it fixed theirs (again, making me think it's more likely to be a voltage/current issue).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:57 AM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Unless you want to get rid of your camera, I wouldn't send it in for service in the U.S.

Chances are, they'll offer a buyback instead of trying to fix it.

I'd clean the contacts and see if that solves it (including the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment) first.

BTW, I saw another recent post where someone changed batteries and it fixed theirs (again, making me think it's more likely to be a voltage/current issue).

I agree, I would try all possible fixes first, since it has worked for others. There seems to be many possible resolves to this issue. Some might just be coincedence and not actual soultions, but I have heard of it being resolvedby cleaning contacts, changing batteries,reformatting theCF card, switching from AF to MF,resetting the camera, "seasoning" the shutter, etc., etc.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:21 AM   #14
Administrator

My camera had started doing this *every* single time I let it sit for a day or two (lock on first photo requiring a power cycle, with the resulting frame dark).

It has not reoccured in *months* now (since February), and all I did to fix mine was clean *all* contacts.

I've seen others say it didn't work for them. But, I'm wondering if they really got all of their contacts clean, too.

I've also seen other people say that it worked for them.

Sure, the shutter mechanism may be binding a bit and causing it to pull more current or something (prompting the diagnostics error that KM is seeing). But, I doubt the shutter mechanism is really *bad*. After a cameras has been sitting, it's more likely to bind a little bit on the first shot, and temperature could also play a role (expansion and contraction of parts).

So, I think it's likely that this problem would go away on it's own anyway over time if you use the camera more in a greater variety of conditions (temperature), since the parts would probably loosen up more with use, sort of like breaking in a new firearm.

I think KM was just a bit too careful with their monitoring, and if you have any electrical problem impacting voltage/current, it can trigger the issue (speculation, but I know what worked for me).

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:
My camera had started doing this *every* single time I let it sit for a day or two (lock on first photo requiring a power cycle, with the resulting frame dark).

It has not reoccured in *months* now (since February), and all I did to fix mine was clean *all* contacts.

I've seen others say it didn't work for them. But, I'm wondering if they really got all of their contacts clean, too.

I've also seen other people say that it worked for them.

Sure, the shutter mechanism may be binding a bit and causing it to pull more current or something (prompting the diagnostics error that KM is seeing). But, I doubt the shutter mechanism is really *bad*. After a cameras has been sitting, it's more likely to bind a little bit on the first shot, and temperature could also play a role (expansion and contraction of parts).

So, I think it's likely that this problem would go away on it's own anyway over time if you use the camera more in a greater variety of conditions (temperature), since the parts would probably loosen up more with use, sort of like breaking in a new firearm.

I think KM was just a bit too careful with their monitoring, and if you have any electrical problem impacting voltage/current, it can trigger the issue (speculation, but I know what worked for me).

I agree and the usersthat got there shutter replaced probably didn't need to have them replaced. In fact some of them that had the shutter replaced ended up with the same symptoms.

One thing that confuses me is one user suggested "seasoning" the shutter in bulb mode to loosen it up. I don't understand why seasoning in bulb mode is differnt from seasoning in any other mode. The other odd part about having to loosen it up is that many including RDUVE experiance it after the camera is fairly broken in, so I'm beginning to think it can be a variety of contributing factors. One thing is certain... this problem has been around since the 7D and though KM bably didn't have enough time to fix it prior the realease of the 5D, Sony has no excuse not to have corrected it in the Alpha.

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
The other odd part about having to loosen it up is that many including RDUVE experiance it after the camera is fairly broken in, so I'm beginning to think it can be a variety of contributing factors.
Mine didn't start doing it until I had thousands of shots on it either. But, after cleaning all of the contacts, it has not reoccured.

Why did it start only after using it for months? My theory -- oxidation on contacts. ;-)

Heck, sometimes oxidation is not obvious.

For example, my wife has a mobile phone that will quit taking a charge from time to time. My fix? Take out the battery, rub the contacts on a pair of jeans, reinsert the battery. No more problems for months (and the contacts don't appear to be oxidized from visual inspection).

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:52 AM   #17
Administrator

P.S.

Years ago when I was in the military, I can remember troubleshooting a piece of relatively sophisticated gear.

I had went through a 6 or 7 week class on it where we had pages and pages of schematics, and used an oscilloscope while troubleshooting to try and figure out what was wrong (with the instructors deliberately putting in bad boards for us to try and find the problems on).

Well, when I first tried to fix a "real" problem in the field, I troubleshooted the same way I was trained, and the symptoms kept changing on me.

Well, a wise and seasoned old Master Chief asked me if I had tried reseating all of the circuit boards. I told him no. Sure enough, simply removing and reinserting the boards fixed the problem. lol

After that, I figured out that *most* problems with this particular piece of gear were related to a simple bad connection (probably due to oxidation of contacts over time), and that can fool diagnostics routines, too.

That kind of thing can cause more issues than most people think. The simple solution is often the right one.

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Heck, sometimes oxidation is not obvious.
My Fluke 83 VOM sometimes seems to be losing the display, so I pull it, wipe the contacts, and it's as good as new.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:22 PM   #19

Thanks for all the tips. Honestly, I have been so busy with work since my return, I have not even had a chance to really examine the issue, clean the contacts or do anything else with the camera. Just come home late from work, have dinner, play with the kids and go to bed. I'll get back to you this weekend on my findings. I really don't feel like sending the camera in, with or without warranty. I think my warranty is expired anyway since I got a "refurbished" camera with only a 6-monthhs warranty. Will keep you posted.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:41 PM   #20

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. Honestly, I have been so busy with work since my return, I have not even had a chance to really examine the issue, clean the contacts or do anything else with the camera. Just come home late from work, have dinner, play with the kids and go to bed. I'll get back to you this weekend on my findings. I really don't feel like sending the camera in, with or without warranty. I think my warranty is expired anyway since I got a "refurbished" camera with only a 6-monthhs warranty. Will keep you posted.
I thought I bought my 7D shortly after you bought the 5D. I bought the 7D on April 30th so 6 months for me would be Oct 30th