Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:50 AM   #21

JimC wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
The other odd part about having to loosen it up is that many including RDUVE experiance it after the camera is fairly broken in, so I'm beginning to think it can be a variety of contributing factors.
Mine didn't start doing it until I had thousands of shots on it either. But, after cleaning all of the contacts, it has not reoccured.

Why did it start only after using it for months? My theory -- oxidation on contacts. ;-)

Heck, sometimes oxidation is not obvious.

For example, my wife has a mobile phone that will quit taking a charge from time to time. My fix? Take out the battery, rub the contacts on a pair of jeans, reinsert the battery. No more problems for months (and the contacts don't appear to be oxidized from visual inspection).
Makes perfect sense and often we don't realize who delicate and unforgiving these circuits in modern digital equipmetwhen it comes voltage drops. I'll bet those battery contacts don't have a lot of tension to make a good connection. I would go one step further and clean the lens contacts too, just in case.

My cordless phone at home recommends cleaning the contacts once a month. That reminds me.... latelyon occasion I have found my cell phone off and I don'tturning it off. I'll bet the contacts are dirty.

I work for a major utility and resistance due to dirty contacts is one of our biggest problems when it comes to relay contacts. For stuff like that we use an industrial spray that works like magic, but it would melt and fuse the plastic on the inside of camera. I've used a pencil eraser on light duty stuff and that works just fine for most of my needs.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:01 PM   #22

Naw, I got mine early January... way past six months by now. But I think I can make a good case that this is a defect which showed up a lot earlier than the warranty expired. I am pretty good at dealing with customer service people. First I will try all the other options, such as contact cleaning, and reset, etc.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:59 AM   #23

This problem reminds of the VW MAF(mass airflow sensor)problem, They would changes expensive turbos and MAF sensors, The cure was putting dielectric grease on the connectors of MAF sensor. Problem solve.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:17 PM   #24

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
This problem reminds of the VW MAF (mass airflow sensor)problem, They would changes expensive turbos and MAF sensors, The cure was putting dielectric grease on the connectors of MAF sensor. Problem solve.

Great idea. I tried it. Unfortunately, I didn't have dialectic grease handy, so I used Crisco and smeared it on the sensor. However, now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas???

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:51 PM   #25

"I didn't have dialectic grease handy, so I used Crisco and smeared it on the sensor. However, now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas???"

I think you may have fried the sensor. :blah:
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:28 PM   #26

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"I didn't have dialectic grease handy, so I used Crisco and smeared it on the sensor. However, now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas???"

I think you may have fried the sensor. :blah:

Oh...

:?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:30 PM   #27

But seriously, Icleaned all the contacts,however they seemed very clean to start with. Then I did a reset. I'll see tomorrow after not using it for 24 hours if that handles the problem.

Rainer
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:26 PM   #28

rduve wrote:
Quote:
But seriously, Icleaned all the contacts,however they seemed very clean to start with. Then I did a reset. I'll see tomorrow after not using it for 24 hours if that handles the problem.

Rainer
It's normal for dirty contacts of those type to look clean but yet create a poor connection. The slightest bit of oxidation causes a problem because the connection is not made up witha lot of tension and the second part is that the slightest bit of resistance causes enough voltage to drop to reak havoc with digital circuits. I have a cordless phone at home that sometimes doesn't charge because of dirty contacts. Of course it may not fix your problem, but it's worth a shot. (no pun intended)

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:06 AM   #29

"I'll see tomorrow after not using it for 24 hours if that handles the problem."

Good luck to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:19 AM   #30

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"I'll see tomorrow after not using it for 24 hours if that handles the problem."

Good luck to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I tried it this morning, and IT WORKED! I think the Reset did the trick.