Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:02 PM   #31

rduve wrote:
Quote:
lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"I'll see tomorrow after not using it for 24 hours if that handles the problem."

Good luck to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I tried it this morning, and IT WORKED! I think the Reset did the trick.

How do you know it wasn't the contact cleaning? By reset, are you reffering to where you set the camera back to default settings?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:25 PM   #32

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
How do you know it wasn't the contact cleaning? By reset, are you reffering to where you set the camera back to default settings?

I wasn't very thorough with the contact cleaning, just kind of wiped them since they seemed flawless. I think the Reset did the trick, and yes, I am referring to where you set the camera back to default settings. I hopethe issuecontinues to be handled. Thanks for all your tips again.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:02 PM   #33
Administrator

Nah... It's voltage related.

Resetting back to factory defaults was the very first thing I tried. That didn't work. Cleaning all contacts thoroughly did work.

If/when it starts doing it again, make sure to get the contacts in the bottom of battery compartment, too. Be careful with them, as you don't want to reduce the amount of tension and they can be a bit delicate.

If you're uncomfortable with q-tips and alcohol, pencil erasers, etc., Radio Shack used to sell a contact cleaning pen (wick at the end of a pen like device with a special contact cleaner on it). It's no longer listed on their web site. But, a number of local Radio Shack stores probably still have it in stock.

Here is one vendor that still sells them (although the claims for it are exaggerated a bit). lol

Contact Cleaning Pen at Edmund Scientific

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:27 PM   #34

rduve wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't very thorough with the contact cleaning, just kind of wiped them since they seemed flawless. I think the Reset did the trick, and yes, I am referring to where you set the camera back to default settings. I hopethe issuecontinues to be handled. Thanks for all your tips again.

Rainer
Actually it was the chicken I killed alongwith the ancient ritualistic dance I performed to expell the evil spirits you photographed inadvertantly in Germany.

Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:41 PM   #35

I've cleaned every contact I can think of and reset it, and the problem remains. I think it's shutter related and I'm sending it in for warranty service before it expires. Maybe they'll give me a refund and I can buy a new (different) camera. Lots of new models look very appealing and the market for my lenses is hot right now.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:02 PM   #36
Administrator

Have you tried a different battery? I've seen two KM DSLR owners say that a different battery solved it.

Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:29 PM   #37

Yeah. Two batteries and every lens. I think the anti-shake maybe at the root of the problem. I like the camera, but with lack of parts and the A100 noise issues plus the high cost and limited availability of SSM lenses, I'm thinking of moving on. If Precicion and Sony can't repair it, I'll be happy to take the money and change to a different system with more options and a more definite future.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:37 PM   #38
Administrator

I think it's more likely that KM was a bit too cautious with it's internal monitoring.

I've seen another poster say cleaning their contacts fixed their camera (and that fixed mine).

I've seen two posters say that changing batteries solved it.

I've seen more than one poster say that KM only "cleaned" their shutter mechanism to fix it, and I've seen more than one poster say that KM replaced their shutter mechanism.

Personally, I suspect that changing whatever value the hardware is looking at for how much resistance the shutter mechanism has before it shuts down would solve it (it's probably just a value stored in EEPROM somewhere, and something as small as dirty contacts or a weak battery could probably cause it to exceed the allowable threshold due to more or less current being pulled by the mechanism).

Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:09 PM   #39

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Yeah. Two batteries and every lens. I think the anti-shake maybe at the root of the problem. I like the camera, but with lack of parts and the A100 noise issues plus the high cost and limited availability of SSM lenses, I'm thinking of moving on. If Precicion and Sony can't repair it, I'll be happy to take the money and change to a different system with more options and a more definite future.
It's a shame that Sony is taking the easy way out and just buying out the consumers with warranty problems. I guess they figure a good percentage of people will go with the A100. I don't know what I would do if and when the time comes for me to upgrade my equipment. I'm not crazy about what I have been hearing about the Sony noise, but I don't know that it is bad enough to be an issue that would make me say no to the Alpha. I'm hoping they come out with a 7D version and address the noise issue if it is a big problem.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:59 PM   #40

" Actually it was the chicken I killed alongwith the ancient ritualistic dance I performed to expell the evil spirits..."

The powers of the funky chicken were first used by a fair maiden named Tina to expel the evil Ike.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote