Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:12 PM   #41

Well, it would have been too easy to be true. On Day 2 of my experiment, the camera again blacked out the first shot. So the problem has not been solved. Does anybody have the 800-number for Sony handy, so I can see if they can fix it and cover it? I am at work now and can't do the research. thanks.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:22 PM   #42
Administrator

Try this one:

1-877-462-4464

But, I doubt you'll get anyone to say anything about whether or not they can fix a camera without it being looked at. ;-)

Did you give the contacts a thorough cleaning (including the ones in the bottom of the battery compartment)?

That fixed mine. I've had no lockups since February, when it had started doing it on the first shot every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before I cleaned all contacts (lens contacts, lens mount contacts on camera, battery contacts on battery, contacts in the bottom of the camera's battery compartment).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:55 PM   #43

Thanks. I'll clean the contacts thoroughly tonight before calling Sony.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:43 PM   #44

Mine does the same thing after cleaning everything twice. I'm sending it in for warranty service. I don't expect to see it again, but if they'll buy it back for what I paid for it I'll be happy.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:33 PM   #45

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'll clean the contacts thoroughly tonight before calling Sony.
Just a thought, but if you paid by credit card, you mave have double the warranty. I don't know if all cards have that feature, but Amex does. Some of the high end Visa/MC also have those programs. I'm not sure how that applies to you since you said yours is refurbished. I remember you saying you only had six months warranty. Was that from the Sony or from the retailer? I would have thought factory refurbished carry the same warranty as new, but maybe I'm thinking of remanufactured. I also thought Sony was prorating the ones out of warranty for 7 years, but I don't know that to be fact. If that is true, even out of warranty, you shouldn't lose much.

I find this whole lack of parts issue a little disappointing and there really was no reason for Sony to discontinue the parts. I'll bet some of it is just bullshit because I have to imagine some of the parts are interchangeable between the KM and Sony, especially the 5D. Maybe it is more profitable for them to give a refund than to continue manfacturing and warehousing parts, and they are probably counting on selling more Alphas, thereby increasing sales and getting them out on the market.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:45 AM   #46
Administrator

One other thing you guys may want to try.

Set your camera to continuous mode, use manual exposure to make sure the shutter time isn't too long indoors without a flash, and fire off a card full of jpeg images with it.

I remember doing this at the same time I cleaned my camera's contacts (battery contacts, contacts in battery compartment, lens contacts, lens mount contacts on camera).

At the time, I was thinking that it might just need some more breaking in (sort of like you'd want to do with a new firearm to smooth out the action to help reduce the chance of it jamming on you), and I figured that some shots in continuous mode would heat it up some and help to do that.

I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not (I've always assumed that the contacts were the most likely issue after cleaning them).

I can only tell you that my camera hasn't had a lockup since Februrary, and it was doing it on the first shot every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before then.

Heck, I just used my camera today for the first time in over a week. No lockup (and none since February).

Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:05 PM   #47

Thanks for trying to help Jim but I think you were lucky. My camera is going tommorrow. My warranty is up 9/15 and the camera has no resale value as is. I never intended on keeping it for a long time amd this is a good time to see what happens. This problem is such that I would be afraid of it happening again out of warranty and be screwed. If they fix I'll sell it and if they refund I'll be even more happy. I see a lot of good cameras out there with a bright future instead of worrying about a camera with no repair parts.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:58 PM   #48

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for trying to help Jim but I think you were lucky. My camera is going tommorrow. My warranty is up 9/15 and the camera has no resale value as is. I never intended on keeping it for a long time amd this is a good time to see what happens. This problem is such that I would be afraid of it happening again out of warranty and be screwed. If they fix I'll sell it and if they refund I'll be even more happy. I see a lot of good cameras out there with a bright future instead of worrying about a camera with no repair parts.

Funny but someone on Ebay is selling his 7D with the vertical grip and two batteriesand in the description he states he states that it has thecommonly known bug in it, where every once in a while the camera records a black image, or freezes. He indicates that you just pull the battery and reinsert and you are up and running again. The current bid is 810. They must want the vertical grip real bad or didn't read the description.

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 PM   #49
Administrator

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I can remember when it happened to me the first time. I had a scare when it locked up. lol

Then, when it started happening frequently on the first shot, finally getting to where it always did it when I let the camera sit for a day or two, I figured it would probably need a trip back to KM. I tried all sorts of stuff (resetting everything, moving up the date to see if it was related to any kind of failure of a remap routine, trying different driive modes in case it was related to continuous versus single shot, trying a diffeent lens, CF Card, etc.). None of that worked.

But, after I cleaned the contacts and it quit doing it, I haven't worried about it since. 6 Months later and no lockups. Now, I did fiire off some images in continuous mode, too. So, that could have something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm relatively convinced it's a very minor issue if I could fix it that easily. I think it's got to be related to how the camera is monitoring the shutter assembly (probably monitoring current or voltage being pulled by it in some manner, which is why diirty contacts is what I figured caused it after trying so many things).

I doubt the shuttter mechanims are actually bad. Binding a little bit after sittting for a while with expansion and contraction from temperature changes? Maybe. But, mine is sure working fine now. No trip to KM required, and I'm not even a little bit worried about it failing. If it starts doing it again at some point, I'll just repeat my previous steps.

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 PM   #50

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I'm relatively convinced it's a very minor issue if I could fix it that easily. I think it's got to be related to how the camera is monitoring the shutter assembly (probably monitoring current or voltage being pulled by it in some manner, which is why dirty contacts is what I figured caused it after trying so many things).

I doubt the shutter mechanism are actually bad. Binding a little bit after sittings for a while with expansion and contraction from temperature changes? Maybe. But, mine is sure working fine now. No trip to KM required, and I'm not even a little bit worried about it failing. If it starts doing it again at some point, I'll just repeat my previous steps.

The interesting thing is I have read some posts in the other forums where a KM owner said he wasn't gonna bother sending it back because it was such a minor issue and they way he lives it is by just turning it on once prior to to actually needing to take a shot. I'm not making light of the problem and I certainly don't welcome it to happen to one of my cameras, but when I think about it, the problem doesn't interfere with taking pictures if it only happens once after sitting idle. I can also understand the fear of it getting worse, but I don't recall one post ever stating that someone has had it get progressively worseor had a complete failure after the problem appears. Based on the symptoms and some reports of it clearing up in some cases, I too doubt its a shutter problem. In fact some of the units that have had shutters replaced had the problem again shortly after replacement. Wish there was a KM tech out there amongst us who could shed some light on the KM's aberrant behavior.

On the lighter side, this problem reminds me of my knee, which is still recovering from a massive injury and surgery almost ayear ago.When I get up in the morning or ifI sitor lay around without moving it, my knee becomes so stiff I can hardly bend it or walk. Then throughout the day it gets better as I useit.... some day the problem will go away.