Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:45 PM   #51
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I can also understand the fear of it getting worse, but I don't recall one post ever stating that someone has had it get progressively worseor had a complete failure after the problem appears.
I remember one poster that said it started doing it even more often than just on the first shot of a day. That was the first person that I recall having their shutter mechanism replaced.

Mine got progressively worse. It started happening more and more often, until it was doing it every time I let it sit for day or two without using it (never more than once in a day though, and only on the first shot).

Now, no lockups at all, even if I let it sit a week without using it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:10 AM   #52

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I remember one poster that said it started doing it even more often than just on the first shot of a day. That was the first person that I recall having their shutter mechanism replaced.

Mine got progressively worse. It started happening more and more often, until it was doing it every time I let it sit for day or two without using it (never more than once in a day though, and only on the first shot).

Now, no lockups at all, even if I let it sit a week without using it.
Quote:
I should have elaborated what I meant by worse was more than once a day. I have heard of someone stating that the amount of time it had to sit idle was getting shorter.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:02 PM   #53

Any updates?
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:36 PM   #54

The camera still does the same, even after the reset and the contact cleaning. It's not such a big deal. I frankly have not had much time dealing with photography lately, so I think I'll just live with it, and I will probably hold on to my KM5D for a couple of more years, by which time one should be able to buyaSony DSLR with a3-layer 16MP CCD for about $500. In the meantime, I'll be fine with my setup and drop the lens affliction and won't sweat the small stuff.

PS: I am going through some personal changes right now, and got a lot of other thing on my mind.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:21 AM   #55

Interesting post at Dyxum about a 7D that had the first shot black problem and another issue. The unit was repaired by Sony and the shutter was not replaced. In fact, as far as the customer could tell from the repair ticket, there was no indication that anyparts were replaced.

Here is the verbage from the post and a link at the bottom to the thread.

"The Original problem with my 7D was the infamous "First Blank Picture" syndrom...this finally progressed to my camera shutting off after pressing the shutter button once. Nothing,(Tried new battery, changing the lens, different CF card, and a lot of cuss words)except turning the power switch off and back on again would bring my camera back to life. My camera never took an actual photo (Just the BLACK FRAME). I'm no Pro, but it appeared to me that the mirror was not flipping up and allowing the picture to be exposed on the CCD. I'm happy to say my 7D is once again fully functional. The Repair description is fairly vauge...so I'll quote directly, "SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD, TEST, CHECK AND COMPLETE RECALIBRATION, AUTO FOCUS TEST, CHECK, RECALIBRATION AND REALIGNMENT GENERAL TEST, CHECK, CLEAN AND REPAIR ALL FUNCTIONS AND SYSTEMS" There is no mention of any repair parts. I also received a separate sheet of paper (Photocopy) from PRECISION CAMERA REPAIR, that basically said "they were pleased to have been of service and that SONY has established the following website for FAQ's concerning their products (http://www.esupport.sony.com)". They also claimed to have included a SURVEY CARD in the shipment of my camera, but I am unable to locate the said card. If however, I am unable to rate thier service as "Excellent", please contact them @ 1-800-665-6515. There is also no mention that the repairs they completed were warranted for "Six Months". Hope this answers everyone's questions "

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...ID=48259#48259
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:29 AM   #56

rduve wrote:
Quote:
The camera still does the same, even after the reset and the contact cleaning. It's not such a big deal. I frankly have not had much time dealing with photography lately, so I think I'll just live with it, and I will probably hold on to my KM5D for a couple of more years, by which time one should be able to buyaSony DSLR with a3-layer 16MP CCD for about $500. In the meantime, I'll be fine with my setup and drop the lens affliction and won't sweat the small stuff.

PS: I am going through some personal changes right now, and got a lot of other thing on my mind.

Rainer
Stay in touch pal, your presence here or lack of certainly makes a difference.... at least tome.Unfortunately sometimes we have to re-focus our priorities. (no pun intended)

Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:54 AM   #57
Administrator

Ranier:

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep your chin up and remember that everything always works out for the best, even if we don't think so at the time.

If you get a chance, try what I mentioned in a previous post and see if that solves it.

Good Luck with Everything.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
One other thing you guys may want to try.

Set your camera to continuous mode, use manual exposure to make sure the shutter time isn't too long indoors without a flash, and fire off a card full of jpeg images with it.

I remember doing this at the same time I cleaned my camera's contacts (battery contacts, contacts in battery compartment, lens contacts, lens mount contacts on camera).

At the time, I was thinking that it might just need some more breaking in (sort of like you'd want to do with a new firearm to smooth out the action to help reduce the chance of it jamming on you), and I figured that some shots in continuous mode would heat it up some and help to do that.

I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not (I've always assumed that the contacts were the most likely issue after cleaning them).

I can only tell you that my camera hasn't had a lockup since Februrary, and it was doing it on the first shot every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before then.

Heck, I just used my camera today for the first time in over a week. No lockup (and none since February).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:03 PM   #58

ok I have to ask.

Has anyone elses gotten to where it does it almost everytime that you turn it on?

Mine started out with this blue/green grainy pics and then went to the black screen. When it first started I chalked it up to the very HEAVY humidity we were having that day. But now it is has gotten to where it will have the black screen for the first 2-4 shots every 2 our of 3 times I use it. It doesn't matter if it sits for weeks, days or just minutes it still does it. Should I still try cleaning the contacts and if so where are all of them lol. I know about the battery contacts but try not to "look" into the rest of the camera too much in fear of dust. (new residential area with TONS of construction) Or should I just send it back to Sony. My warranty expires on Dec 1st.

TIA for your help. This thread has certainly shed some light on the situation
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:42 PM   #59

Breezy wrote:
Quote:
ok I have to ask.

Has anyone elses gotten to where it does it almost everytime that you turn it on?

Mine started out with this blue/green grainy pics and then went to the black screen. When it first started I chalked it up to the very HEAVY humidity we were having that day. But now it is has gotten to where it will have the black screen for the first 2-4 shots every 2 our of 3 times I use it. It doesn't matter if it sits for weeks, days or just minutes it still does it. Should I still try cleaning the contacts and if so where are all of them lol. I know about the battery contacts but try not to "look" into the rest of the camera too much in fear of dust. (new residential area with TONS of construction) Or should I just send it back to Sony. My warranty expires on Dec 1st.

TIA for your help. This thread has certainly shed some light on the situation
Your problem seems more extreme than the usual.... in fact I don't recall anyone mentioning blue/green grainy pictures. You can try cleaning since it doesn't take much and anything is possible with delicate electronics in the way of erractic behavior.

The contacts are inside the battery compartment andthe lens mount contacts inside the camera.I would not wait too long since your warranty is about to expire.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:26 PM   #60

OK thanks alot

and now I feel like an idiot cause I know what contacts you are talking about now that you stated them I was thinking it was something physically inside the camera.
I will try it thanks again

Breezy
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote