Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:27 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I am back from vacation in Germany where I shot about 2000 pictures with my KM 5D. Still have to sort through them and will post a few at another time.

Here is a problem I have been having with my 5D. At first intermittently, but now consistently, I am losing the first shot after switching the camera on after ithad beenoff for a little while. What I mean is that I when I start the camera and release the shutter for the first time, the viewfinder goes black and locks up. I then have to switch the camera back off and on again, and it then works fine. The picture that I was trying to shoot shows up as a black image. This would happen once in a while but is now always the case after I have not used the camera for a few hours or so. Any ideas?

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:44 PM   #2

A similar thing happens when the battery runs out. Perhaps cleaning the contacts or trying a different battery is a good first place to start. ( or even reseating the CF card)

What have you already tried?
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:47 PM   #3

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am back from vacation in Germany where I shot about 2000 pictures with my KM 5D. Still have to sort through them and will post a few at another time.

Here is a problem I have been having with my 5D. At first intermittently, but now consistently, I am losing the first shot after switching the camera on after ithad beenoff for a little while. What I mean is that I when I start the camera and release the shutter for the first time, the viewfinder goes black and locks up. I then have to switch the camera back off and on again, and it then works fine. The picture that I was trying to shoot shows up as a black image. This would happen once in a while but is now always the case after I have not used the camera for a few hours or so. Any ideas?

Rainer
Same behaviour as "Clean CCD Mode". Obviously if you removed the lens you would then find the mirror up and the sensor exposed, but you probably know that. I suppose as Mecury suggests it could be a battery contact issue and not the mirror locking up due to binding issue or failing to cycle. I suppose oxidized contacts can cause erractic behaviour, but strange it only does it once on a cold start. One logical explanation is that after the first attempt the heat from the resistance is enough to expand the metal or burn off enoughoxidation to restore normal operation. Hopefully it is something as simple as Mercury's suggestion. If cleaning the contacts doesn't work, also try a different battery.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Administrator

I had the same problem a while back.

I cleaned *all* contacts (lens contacts, camera lens mount contacts, battery contacts (including those in the camera by using a q-tip with a bit of alcohol on it).

The problem was occuring every time I let the camera sit for a few days. But, it hasn't happened in months now (since cleaning all of the contacts).

Although some users have reported KM replaced their shutter mechanism to solve it, I think a big part of it is electrical.

I suspect that the camera is monitoring current/voltage, and when it sees something pulling too much, it shuts down.

So, a shutter that isn't as "loose" as it should be probably contributes to the issue. But, cleaning all contacts fixed mine (probably allowing better current flow).

My suggestion - clean *all* contacts, including those inside of the battery compartment (a q-tip with a touch of alcohol can reach the ones in the bottom).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5

JimC wrote:

I had the same problem a while back.

I cleaned *all* contacts (lens contacts, camera lens mount contacts, battery contacts (including those in the camera by using a q-tip with a bit of alcohol on it).

The problem was occuring every time I let the camera sit for a few days. But, it hasn't happened in months now (since cleaning all of the contacts).

Although some users have reported KM replaced their shutter mechanism to solve it, I think a big part of it is electrical.

I suspect that the camera is monitoring current/voltage, and when it sees something pulling too much, it shuts down.

So, a shutter that isn't as "loose" as it should be probably contributes to the issue. But, cleaning all contacts fixed mine (probably allowing better current flow).

My suggestion - clean *all* contacts, including those inside of the battery compartment (a q-tip with a touch of alcohol can reach the ones in the bottom).

Jim, at first I thought you were speechless in the face of my unusual problem, but then I realized that your font was invisible on my screen. I made it aqua for all to see. I will try the contact cleaning. Too tired right now.I think the problem occurs with either one of the batteries. But it's actually different from what I said earlier. I wrote the original post at work when I did not have the camera with me, but wrote the problem from my recollection. When I tested it at home, this is actually what happened. I switch it on, release the shutter, the camera seems to expose for a csecond or so, and then shuts off. I then need to switch it off and on again, and its working fine. The mirror is not up when the camera shuts off, but it goes back into position after about a 1-second exposure (regardless of available lighting.) In view mode it shows only a black screen for the image taken before it shut off. Weird, and hopefully no harbinger of worse things to come.

I'll clean the contacts tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 AM   #6
Administrator

Don't feel bad. I can't read your fonts either. ;-)

I don't know what happened. But, I can't get it back to readable text using the normal colors now for that post. So, I changed it to green instead (which seems to be visible under more than one theme).

I keep my theme (under preferences) set to "Default", and I usually don't try to change text color (because that can make text unreadable in other themes). But, I was copying and pasting from another post that time. So, maybe that caused the issue.

The same thing happens when someone else changes their text from defaults. For example, your text is almost unreadable to me using the default theme now. But, I'm used to that. lol

My vote would be to get rid of the "Shades" theme that matches the colors of the main site. That's a custom theme that we default users to (versus the real "Default" theme of the WowBB software), and a number of colors don't translate well between themes. But, most people like the Shades theme (and Steve wants the forums to match the main site colors, too).

So, the safest way to type text is to not change anything from defaults. I think my copying of text from another post caused the issue that time in my post.

Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:33 AM   #7

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I think the problem occurs with either one of the batteries. But it's actually different from what I said earlier. I wrote the original post at work when I did not have the camera with me, but wrote the problem from my recollection. When I tested it at home, this is actually what happened. I switch it on, release the shutter, the camera seems to expose for a csecond or so, and then shuts off. I then need to switch it off and on again, and its working fine. The mirror is not up when the camera shuts off, but it goes back into position after about a 1-second exposure (regardless of available lighting.) In view mode it shows only a black screen for the image taken before it shut off. Weird, and hopefully no harbinger of worse things to come.

I'll clean the contacts tomorrow and see what happens.

It's weird that you end up with a black image.

Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:37 AM   #8
Administrator

That's the "standard" symptom for this issue (locks on first photo only after camera has been sitting unused for a while, requires a power cycle to use it again, frame taken is very dark).

You'll also see "ERR" in the viewfinder if you look for it.

KM's diagnostics show something about roller pressure in the shutter mechanism (or something like that if memory serves) when owners with this issue have sent them in.

Cleaning the contacts solved it for me (I haven't seen this issue in months, when it was occuring every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before cleaning the contacts).

So, I think it's voltage or current related, with the camera shutting down when some kind of built in safeguard thinks that it's seeing binding in the shutter mechanism from current/voltage monitoring. That's speculation. But, I've seen one other poster say that cleaning all contacts fixed their camera, too.

The simplest solution is sometimes the right one ;-)

Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:40 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's the "standard" symptom for this issue (locks on first photo only after camera has been sitting unused for a while, requires a power cycle to use it again, frame taken is very dark).

You'll also see "ERR" in the viewfinder if you look for it.

KM's diagnostics show something about roller pressure in the shutter mechanism or some such thing.

Cleaning the contacts solved it for me (I haven't seen this issue in months, when it was occuring every time I let the camera sit for a day or two before cleaning the contacts).

Here's a thread with the same problem and there seems to be a mix of opinions on fixes.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=202158

Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:11 AM   #10

I cant stand the "default" BLACK theme, I fixed that as soon as I could find the setting! Every time someone gets fancy with fonts I see a 'blank' post and have to select the text to read it. Usually I just skip the post instead, though.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote