Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:50 AM   #1

i'm looking for the last leg of my lens collection, an ultra-wide, something maybe under $300?? i've been looking at sigma's 10-20,15-30, tamron's 11-18, tokina's 12-24, 17-35, 17 prime, i dont know much about the other primes, maybe the primes are cheaper, and they usually are better image quality right?
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:26 AM   #2

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i'm looking for the last leg of my lens collection, an ultra-wide, something maybe under $300?? i've been looking at sigma's 10-20,15-30, tamron's 11-18, tokina's 12-24, 17-35, 17 prime, i dont know much about the other primes, maybe the primes are cheaper, and they usually are better image quality right?
For under 300 you can eliminiate most if not all of the one's your list above. The Sigma 10-20mm and the KM 11-18mmlast I lookedare between 4 and 5 hundred. I'm not sure about the others on your list, but the Tokina 12-24 probably isn't cheap either.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

The only way I can see of getting one of those lenses for $300 involves buying a firearm and committing a felony. It would be far smarter to wait until you've got $500 to spend. ( no mag light shaped scars, and you can blissfully maintain your ignorance of bubba's 'package')

It may not be impossible to find the Tamron 11-18 used (or Minolta 11-18 for somewhere near that price, depending on your definition of 'near'). There is the Tamron 20-40, which should fit into your budget, but itn's quite as wide as you're looking for.

For those lenses,I'm afraid you're in for either a $$$ price adjustment or a poster down at the Post Office.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:38 PM   #4

Tokina dosent support sony/minolta at this time, thier new lenses arent availible to us.

The ultrawide zooms are all $400-500+

You can find (if your patient) a tokina 17mm ATX Pro prime for $250. Older versions availible too, for about the same price. I have one and love it.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
The only way I can see of getting one of those lenses for $300 involves buying a firearm and committing a felony. It would be far smarter to wait until you've got $500 to spend. ( no mag light shaped scars, and you can blissfully maintain your ignorance of bubba's 'package')

It may not be impossible to find the Tamron 11-18 used (or Minolta 11-18 for somewhere near that price, depending on your definition of 'near'). There is the Tamron 20-40, which should fit into your budget, but itn's quite as wide as you're looking for.

For those lenses,I'm afraid you're in for either a $$$ price adjustment or a poster down at the Post Office.
I actually like the 20-40 Tamron and I got it brand new for dirt cheap. I paid a little over 160 dollars for it. That is less than the average used price. KEH has it from 159 to 189 used. It's not super wide but with the 1.5 crop factor it puts you in the 30-60 35 mm equivalent range, which isn't too bad since back in the day that would have been considered a good wide angle. I think a good compromise would be 14 or 15mm as a starting point, just to get me below 18mm.Truthfully if I get something bright in the range of the kit lens but brighter, I would more than likely stop looking. The 10-20mm is on my list until then, but I have a tough time thinking about shelling out close to 500 dollarsfor such a small range.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i dont know much about the other primes, maybe the primes are cheaper, and they usually are better image quality right?
Usually.

Interestingly though, according to MTF charts at photodo.com (and you can find the old layout at http://old.photodo.com now), the Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 that meanstreak mentioned tests sharper compared to both the Minolta 20mm and 24mm f/2.8 primes, even wide open at f/2.8 (although they're very close there).

I'm not sure I buy that it's better than the primes. But, I don't have a Minolta 20mm or 24mm to compare it to.

Reports on this lens are also mixed. But, my copy of this Tamron seems to work fine.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:03 PM   #7

Another thing, I bought a minolta 24mm f/2.8 after the 17mm and find that I use 24mm much more. I had skipped over this range with my kit lens when I had it, I really didnt use the zoom well (mostly at either extreme). Now that I have 17/24 lenses I find the view of 24mm is much easier to use well.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:10 PM   #8

i think those photo review sites drive me insane!!! one like fredmiranda says one thing, then photozone.de says another.

i'd like to stick to tokina, especially since the 17mm also has a 72 mm thread (i think). but it is NOWHERE to be found. not ebay, nor froogle, or resellerratings...

anyone know where this is??? maybe somewhere in new york city or the tri-state area.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:57 PM   #9

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i think those photo review sites drive me insane!!! one like fredmiranda says one thing, then photozone.de says another.
I trust opinions such as theones shared onthis forum ahead of Fred Miranda or any other review site.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:01 AM   #10

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i'd like to stick to tokina, especially since the 17mm also has a 72 mm thread (i think). but it is NOWHERE to be found. not ebay, nor froogle, or resellerratings...

anyone know where this is??? maybe somewhere in new york city or the tri-state area.
The Tokina 17mm? There are two Ø72mm versions and one Ø77mm (the atx pro). I got mine from keh but thier inventory has been pretty thin lately. Adorama and b&h dont seem to have one either (I'll never again buy used from adorama anyway...). You might be able to raise one from the depths of the dyxum forums, I'm convinced that at least 30% of all minolta gear on the planet gets traded trough there every month. This lens was discontinued, so you'll have to find a used one. I do see them from time to time.