Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:13 PM   #11

hey rusty, I purchased the same filter that you have and played with the same setup. Works wonders and thanks for sharing samples.

btw, i borrowed my friends 50mm MD mount lens and it works just like the AF 50. So if you dont want to take the risk of exposing your primes, might want to invest on a very cheap MD/MC lens. Also, with this non-AF lens, you can control how wide you want to shutter. I am getting one now on ebay, my budget? $10-15 shipped.

The cheapest macro set up ever. Thanks again and Good Luck.

Venn

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?

It does leave the contacts exposed. I'm not walking around outside with this setup (yet), so i don't see much of a problem at this point.

Or you can just buy any cheapo 50mm lens on ebay with a 49mm thread, and just reverse it.The effect should be the same.
vclipse3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:34 AM   #12

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?

It does leave the contacts exposed. I'm not walking around outside with this setup (yet), so i don't see much of a problem at this point.

Or you can just buy any cheapo 50mm lens on ebay with a 49mm thread, and just reverse it.The effect should be the same.
What is the advantage to this setup over usining a lens with macro capability?
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13

because it's cool!...and oh, yeah...the price.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #14

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
because it's cool!...and oh, yeah...the price.
It looks more cumbersome than cool andprice doesn't matter if you already have a macro lens. If there is a real adavantage I might beinterested since I already own a beercan and a 50mm.

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:47 PM   #15

I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:05 PM   #16

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.

Also, doesn't adding the 50mm diminish the light a bit?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:26 PM   #17

It sure does Gozinta, but once you add a light source, you're all set. Some kind of added low light or diffused flash works for me. Also, you're not just limited to your beercan and a 50mm, you can mix and match any lenses.

Also, I agree with DrChris, I'd rather have a single better quality macro lens, but this works too.

Here are some of my samples combining a 75-300 /4.5-5.6 with an MD 50/1.4

my 19" Benq LCD screen - at around 150mm w/ 50prime

a 27" Sanyo (Old School) TV - at 300mm w/ 50prime

18-70 kit lens:

75mm w/ 50prime

300mm w/ 50 prime

18-70 kit

300mm w/ 50prime

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:

vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:57 PM   #18

DrChris wrote:
Quote:

Agreed, a dedicated macro will always outperform in terms of sharpness and DOF.

However, one benefit of this set-up is that you can get an extreme macro effect...like for the $20 bill, my cousin used his 100mm macro and he wasn't able to zoom in on the eye as much as my set-up could. But in general his pic was much sharper b/c of wider DOF, since my set-up suffers from extremely shallow DOF.
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:59 PM   #19

vclipse wrote:
Quote:
It sure does Gozinta, but once you add a light source, you're all set. Some kind of added low light or diffused flash works for me. Also, you're not just limited to your beercan and a 50mm, you can mix and match any lenses.

Also, I agree with DrChris, I'd rather have a single better quality macro lens, but this works too.

Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:

Venn,

Thanks for sharing the pics, and I'm glad that you are having fun with this set-up.

So which lens combo works the best so far?
I also have a 75-300mm but I haven't used the reverse 50mm on that yet.

Rusty
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:37 AM   #20

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
vclipse wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:

Venn,

Thanks for sharing the pics, and I'm glad that you are having fun with this set-up.

So which lens combo works the best so far?
I also have a 75-300mm but I haven't used the reverse 50mm on that yet.

Rusty
Is there anything out there that's discussesthe relationship between focal lengths in terms of the extreme macro effect?