Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:13 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Default

hey rusty, I purchased the same filter that you have and played with the same setup. Works wonders and thanks for sharing samples.

btw, i borrowed my friends 50mm MD mount lens and it works just like the AF 50. So if you dont want to take the risk of exposing your primes, might want to invest on a very cheap MD/MC lens. Also, with this non-AF lens, you can control how wide you want to shutter. I am getting one now on ebay, my budget? $10-15 shipped.

The cheapest macro set up ever. Thanks again and Good Luck.

Venn


Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?

It does leave the contacts exposed. I'm not walking around outside with this setup (yet), so i don't see much of a problem at this point.

Or you can just buy any cheapo 50mm lens on ebay with a 49mm thread, and just reverse it.The effect should be the same.
vclipse3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Default

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?

It does leave the contacts exposed. I'm not walking around outside with this setup (yet), so i don't see much of a problem at this point.

Or you can just buy any cheapo 50mm lens on ebay with a 49mm thread, and just reverse it.The effect should be the same.
What is the advantage to this setup over usining a lens with macro capability?
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
Default

because it's cool!...and oh, yeah...the price.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Default

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
because it's cool!...and oh, yeah...the price.
It looks more cumbersome than cool andprice doesn't matter if you already have a macro lens. If there is a real adavantage I might beinterested since I already own a beercan and a 50mm.


Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:47 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
Default

I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Default

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.

Also, doesn't adding the 50mm diminish the light a bit?
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:26 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23
Default

It sure does Gozinta, but once you add a light source, you're all set. Some kind of added low light or diffused flash works for me. Also, you're not just limited to your beercan and a 50mm, you can mix and match any lenses.

Also, I agree with DrChris, I'd rather have a single better quality macro lens, but this works too.

Here are some of my samples combining a 75-300 /4.5-5.6 with an MD 50/1.4



my 19" Benq LCD screen - at around 150mm w/ 50prime


a 27" Sanyo (Old School) TV - at 300mm w/ 50prime


18-70 kit lens:


75mm w/ 50prime


300mm w/ 50 prime


18-70 kit


300mm w/ 50prime


Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.

Also, doesn't adding the 50mm diminish the light a bit?
vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:57 PM   #18
Member
 
Ru5tY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 38
Default

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.


Agreed, a dedicated macro will always outperform in terms of sharpness and DOF.

However, one benefit of this set-up is that you can get an extreme macro effect...like for the $20 bill, my cousin used his 100mm macro and he wasn't able to zoom in on the eye as much as my set-up could. But in general his pic was much sharper b/c of wider DOF, since my set-up suffers from extremely shallow DOF.
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:59 PM   #19
Member
 
Ru5tY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 38
Default

vclipse wrote:
Quote:
It sure does Gozinta, but once you add a light source, you're all set. Some kind of added low light or diffused flash works for me. Also, you're not just limited to your beercan and a 50mm, you can mix and match any lenses.

Also, I agree with DrChris, I'd rather have a single better quality macro lens, but this works too.

Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.

Also, doesn't adding the 50mm diminish the light a bit?


Venn,

Thanks for sharing the pics, and I'm glad that you are having fun with this set-up.

So which lens combo works the best so far?
I also have a 75-300mm but I haven't used the reverse 50mm on that yet.

Rusty
Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:37 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Default

Ru5tY wrote:
Quote:
vclipse wrote:
Quote:
It sure does Gozinta, but once you add a light source, you're all set. Some kind of added low light or diffused flash works for me. Also, you're not just limited to your beercan and a 50mm, you can mix and match any lenses.

Also, I agree with DrChris, I'd rather have a single better quality macro lens, but this works too.

Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a real advantage, especially over a good quality 1:1 macro.

Also, doesn't adding the 50mm diminish the light a bit?


Venn,

Thanks for sharing the pics, and I'm glad that you are having fun with this set-up.

So which lens combo works the best so far?
I also have a 75-300mm but I haven't used the reverse 50mm on that yet.

Rusty
Is there anything out there that's discussesthe relationship between focal lengths in terms of the extreme macro effect?
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:45 PM.