Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1

what do you guys think? i used a beercan and a reversed 50mm prime lens...check this out...(original pics, no crop, no post processing, jpeg mode)

btw, i hand-held the 50mm prime, but i have already ordered a macro coupler for 49mm - 55mm so I can mount it on a tripod...costs only $13 shipped
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/macroring.html

macro mode using 70-210mm F/4, at 210mm

70-210mm, set at 70mm....plus a reversed 50mm prime lens

70-210mm, set at 210mm....plus a reversed 50mm prime lens...you can clearly see the red/green/blue portions of each pixel...

a few others

$20 Canadian bill, queen elizabeth's eye

tag watch backface

minolta lens cap

Ru5tY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

coooooooool !

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:56 PM   #3

Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:28 PM   #4

Hmm, interesting. I have both of those lenses, do you mind posting a photo of the coupler by itself and/or both lenses coupled together?

Dr Chris, people affectionately call it a 'beercan' because the lens is the approximate size of the large can of beer (so they say).
bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:54 PM   #5

I think the name Beercan started circulating starting with the photo.net article: http://www.photo.net/equipment/minolta/lenses
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why it's called a "beercan"? And reversing the 50mm prime with a coupler...will that effect the back of the lens or contacts by leaving them exposed?
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:14 PM   #6

bluntman wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, interesting. I have both of those lenses, do you mind posting a photo of the coupler by itself and/or both lenses coupled together?

Dr Chris, people affectionately call it a 'beercan' because the lens is the approximate size of the large can of beer (so they say).

The coupler is just a ring that has 1 side for 49mm thread, and 1 side with 55mm thread.

You have to set the 50mm to infinity focus, and use a piece of paper to wedge the shutter open. Then set the beer can at any focal range to determine what magnification you want (keep in mind that at 70mm there is alot of vignetting, but as you increase the focal length to 210mm, the DOF becomes extremely shallow at an exponential level). Oh yeah, you need to set the camera on aperture priority, and up to around F/22 to maximize the little DOF that is available.

I've also tried pairing this with the 28-85mm lens, and at 85mm, there is minimal vignetting

Here are some pics of the setup: (sorry for blurry pics, they were handheld using a p&s)

Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

It does leave the contacts exposed. I'm not walking around outside with this setup (yet), so i don't see much of a problem at this point.

Or you can just buy any cheapo 50mm lens on ebay with a 49mm thread, and just reverse it.The effect should be the same.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:26 PM   #8

nice setup. i just got my 72 mm reversing ring and set up my 80-400 with 28-70 tokinas with it.

i can get amazing magnification, such as seeing just the edge of a letter in the whole photo, from instructions on a small pill box. aperture is tricky as it can turn the photo into a circle and even fully open lighting is extremely difficult, as is focusing.

it is however, incredibly amazing, and much cheaper than the 1x-3x minolta lens, which i havent seen anyone else post anything about, it might just be a myth.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:30 PM   #9

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
nice setup. i just got my 72 mm reversing ring and set up my 80-400 with 28-70 tokinas with it.

i can get amazing magnification, such as seeing just the edge of a letter in the whole photo, from instructions on a small pill box. aperture is tricky as it can turn the photo into a circle and even fully open lighting is extremely difficult, as is focusing.

it is however, incredibly amazing, and much cheaper than the 1x-3x minolta lens, which i havent seen anyone else post anything about, it might just be a myth.

The Minolta 3x-1x actually exists. I've seen two on ebay over the past year or so but I've yet to see someone comment on actually using one.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:55 PM   #10

Found this review on the Minolta 3x-1x Macro. Looks pricey!

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/mzoom.php
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote