Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:28 AM   #1

Hi,*I've been what's known as a lurker of these forums for awhile, doing hours upon hours of countless research before taking the jump into the land of minolta mount photography. I started my research a while ago and was thinking about getting a 5d, but with the walmart deal I decided, with the help of our wonderful forum members, to get a 7d (loved all the buttons btw) for $699. * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Long story short, the 7d starting having some problems so I returned it to walmart (rather reluctantly) and I now have the a100 (funny how I always end up buying sony electronics)* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Right now I am considering buying a lens (or a few). I have : * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *75-210 beercan,*28 f2.8,*50 f1.7,*75-300 f3.5-5.6, sony 18-70 kit, and I just won a 50 f1.4 from ebay* * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *I do a ton of my shooting indoors and in low light, but I wanted to get people's opinions on a few lenses I was considering buying: * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *sigma 24-60 or sigma 24-70 (what's the best coating to buy?) and how does this compare to the KM 28-75 (only in terms of quality, and not range);* * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *sigma 10-20 or similar wide angle (what's the best one?); * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *one of the 17 or 18- 50 f2.8 (any recommendations?);* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *tamron 28-300* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** finally, I really want to get the unreleased zeiss 16-80 (only wish it were faster because then I wouldn't have to buy some of these other lenses)* * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *what do you guys (and gals) think? am I covering the same range too much? Are these lenses even fast enough or do I have to just go primes and sell my soul?* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Believe it or not, I've read a lot of these forums. In fact, probably too much* because I've hard about each of these lenses here and there, but I can't remember where or exactly what was said anymore so I wanted to consolidate this information before I started acquiring more lenses. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *One last thing, how do you format these posts? mine show up as one big blob which is why it looks like a mess* the enter doesn't stay in formatting for me strangely
NeoHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:09 AM   #2

NeoHC wrote:
Quote:
Hi,?I've been what's known as a lurker of these forums for awhile, doing hours upon hours of countless research before taking the jump into the land of minolta mount photography. I started my research a while ago and was thinking about getting a 5d, but with the walmart deal I decided, with the help of our wonderful forum members, to get a 7d (loved all the buttons btw) for $699. Long story short, the 7d starting having some problems so I returned it to walmart (rather reluctantly) and I now have the a100 (funny how I always end up buying sony electronics).
Quote:
Right now I am considering buying a lens (or a few). I have : 75-210 beercan,?28 f2.8,?50 f1.7,?75-300 f3.5-5.6, sony 18-70 kit, and I just won a 50 f1.4 from ebay. I do a ton of my shooting indoors and in low light, but I wanted to get people's opinions on a few lenses I was considering buying: sigma 24-60 or sigma 24-70 (what's the best coating to buy?) and how does this compare to the KM 28-75 (only in terms of quality, and not range);sigma 10-20 or similar wide angle (what's the best one?); one of the 17 or 18- 50 f2.8 (any recommendations?);tamron 28-300 finally, I really want to get the unreleased zeiss 16-80 (only wish it were faster because then I wouldn't have to buy some of these other lenses). what do you guys (and gals) think? am I covering the same range too much? Are these lenses even fast enough or do I have to just go primes and sell my soul? Believe it or not, I've read a lot of these forums. In fact, probably too much? because I've hard about each of these lenses here and there, but I can't remember where or exactly what was said anymore so I wanted to consolidate this information before I started acquiring more lenses. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
One last thing, how do you format these posts? mine show up as one big blob which is why it looks like a mess? the enter doesn't stay in formatting for me strangely

I had to reformat that, couldn't bear to read it.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:19 AM   #3

There are some good lens review sites, Dyxum.com is one of my favorites.

I'm with you on the 16-80 CZ glass- it's going to be too dim for the price.

I enjoy the Tamron 28-300 XR, at $150 it's a steal.

I don't have many short lenses yet, so I can't comment on them but I am starting to look at short primes. (and 1 good short zoom)

I hope your posting gets easier, I have no idea what the issue there is.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:22 AM   #4

I second the 28-300 Tamron, but I also recommend either the Minolta 24-85 or 24-105. The 24-85 is availqable on the used market from KEH, and the 24-105 may still be available from B&H or Adorama.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

I spent a lot of time considering lenses, and the bottom line for me was that I would switch lenses LESS with primes, and they will be smaller, lighter, better, more featured, and cheaper.

There just arent any good zooms. (range/speed mostly)

Closest thing is the tamron 17-50 f/2.8, that could be a 'one lens' solution. All the other zooms leave you needing more than one lens from 17-70mm anyway, so why bother?

I have 17/24/50/90mm primes which you should be able to get for around $800 (used, of course). Considering the prices of some of the decent zooms, and the weight (!), its not such a bad deal. Of course you have to find the compromise that works best for you. Maybe something like that ziess 16-80 and one prime, say the sigma 30mm f/1.4 for your low light situations. I also like the 28-300, but dont use it indoors.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:47 AM   #6

cope wrote:
Quote:
I second the 28-300 Tamron, but I also recommend either the Minolta 24-85 or 24-105. The 24-85 is availqable on the used market from KEH, and the 24-105 may still be available from B&H or Adorama.
Thanks to you and Jim KEH is out of the 24-85mm.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:32 PM   #7

Ok, now I should be receiving a Tamron 28-300 (the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't pass up that range for that price)Now I need to figure out how I handle all my indoor lowlight shooting*
NeoHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:39 PM   #8

You will not regret buying the28-300. Sorry Jim and I over-sold the 24-85; there were a couple listed at KEH the other day. You have to look harder; they sometimes don't have their inventory in the correct order. They must be down, I can't log onto their site. There is a clean one on eBay, auction # 200019586902, but it is BIN at $178. I can vouch for the dealer, I have bought several items from him, and his ratings are as conservative as KEH.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:36 PM   #9

cope wrote:
Quote:
You will not regret buying the28-300. Sorry Jim and I over-sold the 24-85; there were a couple listed at KEH the other day. You have to look harder; they sometimes don't have their inventory in the correct order. They must be down, I can't log onto their site. There is a clean one on eBay, auction # 200019586902, but it is BIN at $178. I can vouch for the dealer, I have bought several items from him, and his ratings are as conservative as KEH.

No need to apoligize... you saved me money!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote