Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:27 PM   #11

Prestige Camera has them in stock: http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~mnmax7-dig.htm
Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:50 PM   #12
Administrator

Steve101 wrote:
Quote:
Prestige Camera has them in stock: http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~mnmax7-dig.htm
Suggested Reading (customer reviews for this Brooklyn Based Vendor). They no longer show up in the database, since they were caught trying to pad their ratings. But, they left most of the existing reviews in. See this admin note:

Quote:
We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006.
See the pattern in the remaining reviews (you'll get the picture pretty fast).

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

The Better Business Bureau has some nice things to say, too:

Quote:
Complaints to the Bureau indicate that this firm uses high pressures sales tactics after consumers place their orders. After ordering merchandise consumers report receiving a phone call from the firm's customer representatives attempting to sell additional items. Representatives allegedly try to persuade consumers to buy the U.S. warranty, as well as accessories like cables, peripherals, and software, or lead consumers to believe the product will not work if additional merchandise is not purchased. In some cases, if the consumers declined, an email was sent advising them to cancel their orders because the item was on back-order despite being listed as available on the firm's website. Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company's staff.
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=68047

More suggested reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:05 PM   #13

Wow...good to know...I was already looking in to some cheap P&S Canons for my family:idea:
Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:59 PM   #14
Administrator

Steve101 wrote:
Quote:
Wow...good to know...I was already looking in to some cheap P&S Canons for my family
The industry is pretty competitive, with relatively low profit margins. So, if a price looks too good to be true, and it's not a well known vendor, it probably is. ;-)

These guys all use the same tactics (great apparent price, followup e-mails and phone calls to "confirm" the order, and then the pitch for the "extras" begins (and some of it is usually what's included with the camera from the factory anyway) lol

Reasd through Bryan Biggers article on How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

Then, read through the customer reviews for some of these vendors at http://www.resellerratings.com and you'll see customers reporting the same tactics Bryan discusses in his article (push to buy extras, gray market cameras without warranties, known defectitve merchadise, unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, cancelling your order if you refuse to buy the extras, etc.).

These vendors can't actually sell you a camera for the prices being quoted and make a profit at it in many cases, and people that *think* they can play the game better because they understand it, often get burned even worse than the uneducated connsumer (sometimes not finding out until later that the manufacturer won't service it because it wasn't inteneded for sale in the country they live in). Don't be their next victim. ;-)

Most of the well known scammers are located in Brooklyn. For some reason, they seem to be able to get away with it there.

Always use http://www.resllerratings.com to check out any vendor you consider, reading the customer reviews carefully to look for any kind of pattern that matches the tactics you see in Bryan's article. If they are not listed, or have a small number of customer reviews (since vendors have been caught trying to pad their own ratings), I'd avoid them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:25 PM   #15

RJR wrote:
Quote:
When anybody who has purchased this dealreceives notification that the camera has shipped or they actually receive one it would be nice if they could post the status here to verify they actually had stock.
They have had thesein stock for quite some time and have been shipping them all along for 699 and 724. If you are interested in one I would not wait because I have seen at least 5 or 6 people order between this forum and Dyxum.com justthis afternoonand that is only based on the forum members that have admitted to ordering one. I'm sure that across the country many orders are being placed for this camera, in fact I am sure quite a few of the EBay resellers will be jumping on these. Personally,I don't think the profit potential is there because they are not commanding as high a price on EBay as they have been. No telling how many Walmart has purchased,has left or when they will run out. At the unbelievable 599 price many are buying these as 2nd and 3rd bodies to use as a backup camera.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:18 AM   #16

It is out of stock now on Walmart website...
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:23 AM   #17

discovery wrote:
Quote:
It is out of stock now on Walmart website...
Yes it is.... at 599 I thought I was witnessing piranhas in a feeding frenzy due to the amount of posts about buying one mostly by people who already have at least 1 or more 5D or 7Ds.I don't recall it ever going out of stock at 699 or 724, if it did, I didn't notice. Might be an indication that it is the end of Walmart's supply, but you never know. I'll bet a lot of them end up on EBay. I just hope all the people whoplaced an order will get one.

A 7D for599is a very small investment for someone to get into a relatively high end system with great performance. Not a bad investment, even if you only get two or three years out of it. It is also a minor investment for those who plan to step up to a 7D version of the Alpha should that ever surface.At 599, the lack of repair support is a little easier to swallow.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:03 AM   #18

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I just hope all the people whoplaced an order will get one.

A 7D for599is a very small investment for someone to get into a relatively high end system with great performance. Not a bad investment, even if you only get two or three years out of it. It is also a minor investment for those who plan to step up to a 7D version of the Alpha should that ever surface.At 599, the lack of repair support is a little easier to swallow.
My order still shows being processed. I will post when I get more information. They must have been subsidizing the low 7D price with their inflated closeout price on the 24-105.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:43 AM   #19

RJR wrote:
Quote:
When anybody who has purchased this dealreceives notification that the camera has shipped or they actually receive one it would be nice if they could post the status here to verify they actually had stock.
Well there's an absolutely guaranteed way to miss out on a good deal!!!!!

The site shows out of stock now as expected, but who knows, they might have a few order cancelations or whatnot.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:42 AM   #20

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
RJR wrote:
Quote:
Well there's an absolutely guaranteed way to miss out on a good deal!!!!!

The site shows out of stock now as expected, but who knows, they might have a few order cancelations or whatnot.
Actually, RJR had already ordered one according to a prior post. I think he was just looking to see if anyone had a confirmed order to put his mind at ease that inventory actually existed. I believe they had stock at the prior prices, because that more than likely lowered the price to move inventory. I no people received them at the prior price and also recall delays from order to processing confirmation. I'm sure the availability of the recently introducedAlpha was a factor in deciding to lower price to move inventory.

The only question is how real-time is their website and if it is real-time, how accurate is the inventory. I would assume that a company like Walmart, probably has a much more sophisticated web order system than places like KEH and B&H where more than one person can order the same item,but it is probably not real-time.I could my order in fairly early once the info was posted, so I am confident that I will get the goods, but if I don't, no biggy since I really don't need it. Itry to avoid buying things when I need them, because it sometimes forces me to overpay. They might actually be doing me a favour if they are out of stock since I already have more KMs than arms. I just like the 7D so much, I thought a back-up7D would be nice.