Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:29 AM   #11

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Not only that, but how did you get it in there upside down ? on second look, trees and windows too!

That's a sweet shot, make sure you forward it to the Bride and Groom.

Critical judgement of a lens is often too harsh IMO. But then if you were taking photos where straight lines mattered or absolute optical quality was necessary you'd opt for a better lens. I just think most of the time I don't need pro level glass (which is good because I have very little of it).
Mahalo for the kind words. yes, it did take me a while to get that cake to fit in the glass without messing up the fondant and flowers and stuff :?.

Instead of making a whole bunch of prints or just burning the photos on a disc for them, I made them a DVD montage they can watch - I think it'll be more fun for them (and plus they've spent $$$ on a professional who is putting together a professional album). I'll be giving them a disc of JPEGs too.

About the lens - I really really like it. For the price, it's hard to beat. I did finally break down and buy that 24-135 f/2.8-4.5 (did I get that right?) from cameta camera on e-bay. I hope it comes in Monday or Tuesday.
I had my eye on that for a while.. let me know how you like it. Guys who have rated it over at Dyxum bought it not too long ago for less, but I haven't seen it go for cheap lately.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:01 PM   #12

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Not only that, but how did you get it in there upside down ? on second look, trees and windows too!

Critical judgement of a lens is often too harsh IMO. But then if you were taking photos where straight lines mattered or absolute optical quality was necessary you'd opt for a better lens. I just think most of the time I don't need pro level glass (which is good because I have very little of it).
Mahalo for the kind words. yes, it did take me a while to get that cake to fit in the glass without messing up the fondant and flowers and stuff :?.

Instead of making a whole bunch of prints or just burning the photos on a disc for them, I made them a DVD montage they can watch - I think it'll be more fun for them (and plus they've spent $$$ on a professional who is putting together a professional album). I'll be giving them a disc of JPEGs too.

About the lens - I really really like it. For the price, it's hard to beat. I did finally break down and buy that 24-135 f/2.8-4.5 (did I get that right?) from cameta camera on e-bay. I hope it comes in Monday or Tuesday.
I had my eye on that for a while.. let me know how you like it. Guys who have rated it over at Dyxum bought it not too long ago for less, but I haven't seen it go for cheap lately.
yes, i regret not picking one up earlier... when i saw the price go up, i wanted to kick myself in the pants. really looking forward to playing with my new toy! reviews over at dyxum rated it as pretty good.

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:56 AM   #13

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
yes, i regret not picking one up earlier... when i saw the price go up, i wanted to kick myself in the pants. really looking forward to playing with my new toy! reviews over at dyxum rated it as pretty good.
Let me know how you like it. I've always hesitatated on Sigma because of the common issues people complain about. I believe some of the newer lenses are OK.

Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:26 PM   #14

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:

Have you tried that Sigma yet?

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:52 PM   #15

no dude, not yet. sadly, new york is a LONG way from hawaii. believe me, i'm anxiously awaiting this lens. i was hoping it'd be here for this long weekend as i'm flying out to o'ahu to cruise around. it would've been sweet having it for this trip.

ah well...

~Aloha~
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:01 PM   #16

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
no dude, not yet. sadly, new york is a LONG way from hawaii. believe me, i'm anxiously awaiting this lens. i was hoping it'd be here for this long weekend as i'm flying out to o'ahu to cruise around. it would've been sweet having it for this trip.

ah well...

~Aloha~
Now, I don't even see it listed.

They got wind that I want it and are trying to boost my interest.

BTW.... regarding the orginal thread topic "kit lens ain't so bad". While it is true that it is not so bad, like other inexpensive zooms it is what it is. The minute youneed a little bit of light these things just suffer.Indoors it is still hard to beat the luxury of a zoom like the28-75mm 2.8 D, the beercan, 35-70 F4 macro or the sharpness and lowlight capabilities ofprimes like the50 1.7or any of the other well knownstandard Minolta Gems. The more I use quality lenses, the harder it is for me to throw on a multi-purpose lens. Don't get me wrong, I still love lenses like the 28-300 Tamron for all purpose shooting outdoors, but when I need something to really perform, I find I just can't ignore the difference between what is often called junk lenses and the quality stuff. I can only imagine what it would be like to own a "G" or similiar lens. They are just out of reach for me.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:03 PM   #17

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

BTW.... regarding the orginal thread topic "kit lens ain't so bad". While it is true that it is not so bad, like other inexpensive zooms it is what it is. The minute youneed a little bit of light these things just suffer.Indoors it is still hard to beat the luxury of a zoom like the28-75mm 2.8 D, the beercan, 35-70 F4 macro or the sharpness and lowlight capabilities ofprimes like the50 1.7or any of the other well knownstandard Minolta Gems. The more I use quality lenses, the harder it is for me to throw on a multi-purpose lens. Don't get me wrong, I still love lenses like the 28-300 Tamron for all purpose shooting outdoors, but when I need something to really perform, I find I just can't ignore the difference between what is often called junk lenses and the quality stuff. I can only imagine what it would be like to own a "G" or similiar lens. They are just out of reach for me.
Yeah, posters up on DPReview were in a panic this weekend as it seems like Cameta stopped listing this lens. Apparently, they had it up on Amazon for 279 (or something like that)... looks like word really got out - I'm really glad that I got my bid in when I did.... I went to pickup a filter for this lens and WOW! I had no idea how much $ 77mm filters costs!

I hear you about the inesxpensive zooms. I'd love to get my hands on a 28-75 f/2.8 (my local camera shop has one of 'um in stock and is asking $383). I'd also love to jump on a beercan but the prices of them are pretty stupid. For now, my kit lens does what it's meant to do... my 3600hs D does a good job in compensating for the lack of low light performance, and myCC close out 75-300 is nice to have in my bag although admitedly, I've only strapped it on once or twice. The one thing I really like about this camera is the ability to "grow into it". I guess this is just another term for "throwing money at it" :sad:... Primes, Beercan, f/2.8 zooms.... hope santa visits these forums.

~Aloha~
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:18 PM   #18

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, posters up on DPReview were in a panic this weekend as it seems like Cameta stopped listing this lens. Apparently, they had it up on Amazon for 279 (or something like that)... looks like word really got out - I'm really glad that I got my bid in when I did.... I went to pickup a filter for this lens and WOW! I had no idea how much $ 77mm filters costs!

I hear you about the inesxpensive zooms. I'd love to get my hands on a 28-75 f/2.8 (my local camera shop has one of 'um in stock and is asking $383). I'd also love to jump on a beercan but the prices of them are pretty stupid. For now, my kit lens does what it's meant to do... my 3600hs D does a good job in compensating for the lack of low light performance, and myCC close out 75-300 is nice to have in my bag although admitedly, I've only strapped it on once or twice. The one thing I really like about this camera is the ability to "grow into it". I guess this is just another term for "throwing money at it" :sad:... Primes, Beercan, f/2.8 zooms.... hope santa visits these forums.

~Aloha~
Adorama gets 339.00 plus shipping for the 28-75mm. A while back they had it for 299.00. Mine came as the kit for the 7D back when 949 with the lens was about 50 dollars more than they were getting without it. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have shelled out the cash so easily. It is my favorite zoomdespite starting out at 28MM.

The beercans on EBay I thought were pretty reasonable. You can usually getone in decent shapefor about 150.00. Right now I'm looking to hook a 90mm 2.8 Tamron... I see Sigma also hasonelike that, but I'm not sure how well the Sigma works. Some of the Sigmas have focusing issues,so unlessI see positive reviews on a particular model I back away from Sigma. I would like to check out there 10-20mm, but I hat paying over 300 for a lens and that baby is over 400.00