Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

I had lots and lots of fun this past weekend at a friend's wedding. The 200 clams my 3600HS costed me was worth every cent :G. I kinda wish that I had a brighter lens to play with, but with the flash bouncing light off the ceiling, the kit lens handled itself very well. I took this picture towards the end of the reception thinking that if this cool trick worked well for a tall building, it would work just as well on a tall wedding cake. I had a little trouble with the composition of the whole thing, so just ended up cropping it up to post.

~aloha~

Attached Images

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Administrator

That lens has *way* too much barrel distortion (I'm just kidding of course). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3

For its price its definitely not a bad lens. I do have issues with it. Usually the edges of objects come out looking unreal (too sharp or CA?).
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Administrator

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
For its price its definitely not a bad lens. I do have issues with it. Usually the edges of objects come out looking unreal (too sharp or CA?).
I'm not sure you what you mean.

But, a camera's sharpening algorithms are designed to increase the contrast at any detected high contrast transitions in an image. So, that can cause halos around sharp edges and magnify other problems, too. The sharpening algorithms being applied are just an illusion, and you have to be careful not to apply too much.

So, if you've got sharpness bumped up in the camera settings (or using an editor to increase sharpness), that might be your issue.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

If you take two pictures with 18-70mm and 28-75mm f/2.8 at same aperture and shutter speed you'll see a difference between the two lenses.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
I had lots and lots of fun this past weekend at a friend's wedding. The 200 clams my 3600HS costed me was worth every cent :G. I kinda wish that I had a brighter lens to play with, but with the flash bouncing light off the ceiling, the kit lens handled itself very well. I took this picture towards the end of the reception thinking that if this cool trick worked well for a tall building, it would work just as well on a tall wedding cake. I had a little trouble with the composition of the whole thing, so just ended up cropping it up to post.

~aloha~

How were you able to shrink the cake to get it inside the glass?:?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:03 PM   #7

Not only that, but how did you get it in there upside down ? on second look, trees and windows too!

That's a sweet shot, make sure you forward it to the Bride and Groom.

Critical judgement of a lens is often too harsh IMO. But then if you were taking photos where straight lines mattered or absolute optical quality was necessary you'd opt for a better lens. I just think most of the time I don't need pro level glass (which is good because I have very little of it).
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:27 PM   #8

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
If you take two pictures with 18-70mm and 28-75mm f/2.8 at same aperture and shutter speed you'll see a difference between the two lenses.
For the differene in price, there should be. The SS lens mount on the 28-75is worth something too.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:22 PM   #9

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Not only that, but how did you get it in there upside down ? on second look, trees and windows too!

That's a sweet shot, make sure you forward it to the Bride and Groom.

Critical judgement of a lens is often too harsh IMO. But then if you were taking photos where straight lines mattered or absolute optical quality was necessary you'd opt for a better lens. I just think most of the time I don't need pro level glass (which is good because I have very little of it).
Mahalo for the kind words. yes, it did take me a while to get that cake to fit in the glass without messing up the fondant and flowers and stuff :?.

Instead of making a whole bunch of prints or just burning the photos on a disc for them, I made them a DVD montage they can watch - I think it'll be more fun for them (and plus they've spent $$$ on a professional who is putting together a professional album). I'll be giving them a disc of JPEGs too.

About the lens - I really really like it. For the price, it's hard to beat. I did finally break down and buy that 24-135 f/2.8-4.5 (did I get that right?) from cameta camera on e-bay. I hope it comes in Monday or Tuesday.
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:58 PM   #10

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:

You'll really see a difference trying to take pictures with both lenses at 2.8.

[align=center]:|[/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote