Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:11 PM   #1

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 5600HS which I use with my 5d, but I've been looking for a cheap second flash that I can use with the 5600 for portraiture. I see the 5400HS can be had for a reasonable sum. Is there any way that I could use this as part of my setup?

thanks in advance.
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:01 PM   #2

The 5400 will work on camera, but with no control over flash level.Best to either get another 5600 orget a Sony when the price drops a little.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:55 AM   #3

Can't you set the flash power manually and still use wireless??
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:11 AM   #4

No, I even tried my 5400 & 5600 together in wireless, and the 5600 would flash but not the 5400.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:34 AM   #5

Problem is minolta wireless ONLY works in TTL with a preflash, a standard optical slave will not work because it fires too early (during the preflash when the shutter is still closed).

Now, if you can set your 5600 on cameraand in manual mode, it wont preflash. Then you can trigger ANY flash with an optical slave, such as a nikon sb-26, a studio light, or an antique with an add-on optical slave.

Another other option is to get a special optical slave that knows to ignore preflash. Usually called digital slaves.

Yet another option is to go for a radio slave setup (which I'm currently doing).
Where each flash is set up with a radio reciever and you put a transmitter on your camera, via a hot-shoe adapter (since the minolta shoe is non-standard). These get around the shortcomings of optical triggers (ttl or otherwise), but the good stuff (pocket wizards) cost $350. There is an ebay seller in hong kong that sells a kit similar in function for $30 though.

All options require manual flash settings except the 5600 and possibly 3600 minolta flashes, or a sigma ef500dg super ($230 from cameta on ebay).

Standard optical slaves or ebay radio triggers plus a cheaper obsolete used flash is probably less expensive than any minolta ttl setup. http://strobist.blogspot.com has some interesting flash info along these lines.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote