Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1

I just got my 7D yesterday and I tested it indoors. On AWB it seems to be inaccurate. I had to manually switch it to tungsten. Then outdoors I had to manually set it at cloudy -2 because the AWB was recording the scene too warm. Any suggestions?
RC8015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:47 PM   #2

AWB is made for use when you are outdoors under sunny conditions with partial cloudiness. It's not designed to be an all-purpose setting to be used under all conditions. It works pretty much the same no matter what digital camera I've ever used.

That"s why you have the other WB choices (if it's cloudy, set it there, if it's sunny set it there, etc). All WB settings are going to have their limitations (depending on how cloudy, time of day, etc. You may need to use your custom setting & a gray card under certain conditions). Play with your camera under all conditions...it doesn't cost anything and will help you make faster & better decisions when you really need too.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

hmm..ok...do you know where I can get a good gray card?

I think I may be slightly spoiled by Kodak's Z7590 P&S. The AWB it has is good for any situation, indoors and outdoors alike. There is pretty much no color cast and the whites looks "pure" white

thanks
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:44 PM   #4

The 7D sure aint a point-n-shoot!

Auto white balance seems to work acceptably in my 5d EXCEPT under indoor lighting (where no camera works well unless you blast the whole scene with flash) and shade, where it seems rather colorless and cool. I set white balance often in these situations, but generally shoot raw so I dont worry too much. I can tweak it just right in post.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

Auto white balance seems to work acceptably in my 5d EXCEPT under indoor lighting (where no camera works well unless you blast the whole scene with flash) and shade, where it seems rather colorless and cool. I set white balance often in these situations, but generally shoot raw so I dont worry too much. I can tweak it just right in post.
All of my KMs AWB work well in all conditions except indoors under tungsten or flourescent.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

All of my KMs AWB work well in all conditions except indoors under tungsten or flourescent.

Yes, the 7D is much better than a point and shoot.

So I guess the KMs are just like that; i.e. they have a hard time with WB indoors and under cloudy skies (which is exactly the problems I have).