Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 23, 2007, 11:05 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks again Jim. I think I will now try and find some reviews on the A100.
See the links in my first post (the darker text in one place is really links to our reviews here). Here they are again:

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D

Sony DSLR-A100

Only the Sony is a current model.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:15 PM   #12

Thanks again Jim,

The review looked pretty good, very few negatives and I was impressed overall.
Would you recommend in my case the body only, or the kit package with the small lens?

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:28 PM   #13
Administrator

It seems to be a well liked camera. It's 10MP sensor has a bit higher noise levels than the 6MP KM DSLR models it replaced.

But, if you don't use higher ISO speeds (i.e., 1600) very often (or don't mind the noise levels shooting it that way), it would be a great way to move into a DSLR, while still being able to use your existing lenses (and the higher resolution sensor in the newer model might come in handy for cropping and/or larger prints).

Unless you use 1600 speed film on a regular basis, it's probably a non-issue (and even then, the film might lose). lol Note that the Sony is a bit more sensitive than it's rated ISO speed anyway (which is one reason it's noise levels are a tad higher than some of it's competitors). I mentioned some of that part in this thread a while back:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

I'd probably go for the kit (especially since it doesn't add a lot to the price compared to buying it separately).

That way, you'd have a lens that starts out a bit wider (since your 35-70mm would behave more like a 52-105mm lens would on a 35mm camera).

Old May 23, 2007, 10:39 PM   #14

I also saw somewhere a reference to a remote control. Is there an option to add a remote to this camera?

I have a friend with the new digital Sony H9 and the wireless remote on it is pretty slick.

Old May 24, 2007, 6:23 AM   #15
Administrator

You can get a remote cable release. But, I have not seen a wireless shutter release setup for one.

Old May 25, 2007, 10:47 AM   #16

I am very tempted to just "do it"

I'm comparing pricing on a few web sites and also local retailers.

Since the camera does not come with a memory card, what would you recommend? I am looking at the compact flash SanDisk 2gb Ultra ll and Ultra lll and also the Lexar 2gb 80x and 133x cards.
I believe the A100 review stated that the Sony Pro cards were on the slow side.

I do not know what the camera will support.

Any thoughts on cards?

I will be shooting the grandkids playing soccer, swim meets, and some rapid fire action shots of wildlife in motion or trying to anyway.

Thanks again for all your help Jim.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:07 AM   #17
Administrator

The Sony has a very fast interface to media.

Memory manufacturers do tend to change components within the same model card from time to time. So, without comparing the exact edge stamps of a card (where you can find different codes for different card generations), it's difficult to know if it will perform as well as another one.

But, the faster Sandisk and Lexar cards appear to be a pretty good bet. I'd probably go with an Extreme III or Lexar 133x if budget permits, or an Ultra II as a next choice.

I'd shop around and see if any of the better cards were on sale somewhere.

http://www.newegg.com usually has pretty good deals on flash media.

You can see some user reported speeds here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=a100

Old May 25, 2007, 11:20 AM   #18
Administrator

Here's a bundle that I'd take a look at (name brand Ultra II card versus no name junk you sometimes see) if you want to go with a kit lens to have something a bit wider than your current lenses have available.

Sony DSLR-A100 with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT Lens, 2GB Sandisk Ultra II at B&H for $724.95

B&H is a very reputable vendor, and I'd suggest using them as a first choice over other internet vendors if they are close to having the lowest price (and they usually are).

Be careful of scam artists with nice looking web sites and misleading prices, and make sure to check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

If you don't find them there, ask about them. If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. ;-)

Here are some more listings with different options:

Sony DSLR-A100 Listings at B&H

I'd check out their used department, too. They stock used Maxxum mount lenses, camera bodfies and more.

Old May 25, 2007, 7:42 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You can get a remote cable release. But, I have not seen a wireless shutter release setup for one.
Maybe this?

http://jeecha.eu/wireless/

The picture seems to show quite a bit of wire for a wireless system!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 8:47 PM   #20

I agree Frank. Doesn't appear to be very wireless to me, no clue on the range of the unit.

Also, my friend with the digital sony h9 is having issues with the distance that the unit will funtion.