Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

I have had the camera for over a year and it takes great shots, love it to death, but just started doing something really weird. Everytime I take a picture the camera fires off 10 times. Only one picture is recorded. After it fires 10 times the camera is dead (locked up) and has to be powered down and repowered and then everything looks good. But this happens everytime. So I reinstalled V1.1 firmware hoping it was corrupted, but same thing. I have reset all recording modes and checked every setting. I have confirmed that it only records one of the 10 shots. But looking through the viwfinder I have also confirmed the shutter is also moving the ten times. The shots are in very fast cycles, probably 1/125 second or faster as all ten happen in a second or so.
canadianshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

Just a wild guess, but did you accidentally set it for bracketing?
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

NOT bracketing !

Sounds like you set the dial to 'continuous' shooting mode - in this mode it will shoot continuously as long as you hold the release button down !

It then takes 9-20 seconds to record to the card - during recording it is not 'locked' but inactive (light will be red)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
NOT bracketing !

Sounds like you set the dial to 'continuous' shooting mode - in this mode it will shoot continuously as long as you hold the release button down !

It then takes 9-20 seconds to record to the card - during recording it is not 'locked' but inactive (light will be red)
Thanks, I forgot about that.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

cope wrote:
Quote:
bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
NOT bracketing !

Sounds like you set the dial to 'continuous' shooting mode - in this mode it will shoot continuously as long as you hold the release button down !

It then takes 9-20 seconds to record to the card - during recording it is not 'locked' but inactive (light will be red)
Thanks, I forgot about that.
It sounds like continous mode but I'm sure he is holding the button, plus he said it only records one photo. Of course he may be describing it wrong. My Buffer will only get 9 shots till it bogs down and records to camera.


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

The camera is NOT in continuos mode. It doesn't matter where I set any of the controls, like interval timer, single, continious, I have reset ALL modes to factory default. I am still thinking it is the firmware. I had the camera die from the battery going dead in the middle of a picture, so maybe the firmware became corupt? I took it back to the camera store yesterday and all of the staff were amazed. I tried all of my lenes in the remote case that was the problem. I even formated a new flash card and loaded the firmware. Still same thing. A question I have is....When trying to install the firmware. If the version that is in the camera is V1.1 and the one that I am trying to install is the same V1.1, will the camera not take the firmware thinking it already has the latest. When I did the firmware install it installed just like the manual said it should and the display showed the installation went well and still the same. Maybe a silly question.

The weird thing is that even though the multiple firing is happening only the first picture is recorded. I tested this by moving the camera as it was shootiing and alsways the first picture and only that one is recorded. It is taking a great picture still, which is great news.

Anyway I will wait to see if anyone has anymore ideas and then I quess its off to the factory depot for repair.
canadianshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

canadianshooter wrote:
Quote:
The camera is NOT in continuos mode. It doesn't matter where I set any of the controls, like interval timer, single, continious, I have reset ALL modes to factory default. I am still thinking it is the firmware. I had the camera die from the battery going dead in the middle of a picture, so maybe the firmware became corupt? I took it back to the camera store yesterday and all of the staff were amazed. I tried all of my lenes in the remote case that was the problem. I even formated a new flash card and loaded the firmware. Still same thing. A question I have is....When trying to install the firmware. If the version that is in the camera is V1.1 and the one that I am trying to install is the same V1.1, will the camera not take the firmware thinking it already has the latest. When I did the firmware install it installed just like the manual said it should and the display showed the installation went well and still the same. Maybe a silly question.

The weird thing is that even though the multiple firing is happening only the first picture is recorded. I tested this by moving the camera as it was shootiing and alsways the first picture and only that one is recorded. It is taking a great picture still, which is great news.

Anyway I will wait to see if anyone has anymore ideas and then I quess its off to the factory depot for repair.
This is just my opinion, but Idon't think the issue is firmware related. I would imagine that it would overwrite the firmware even if the rev numbers are the and if it didn't it would indicate as such. Someone over at KM/Sony would beable to answer that question.

Sounds like something is triggering whatever cause the shutter to cycle after the first shot but not actually taking pictures. If it is not returnable, it sounds like it needs repair.




meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Default

GREAT NEWS.......just got the camera back from Sony service ZOOMTRON here in Canada. It only took two weeks and works perfectly again. Great service, highly recommended.



D
canadianshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.