Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:09 AM   #21

I suppose it would have been a little different if I'd been an A100 owner instead of a 5D owner. The would have surely offered a new camera. But then what would they have done once the A100 had been replaced by a 12mp or full frame A101. Would I have been told they no longer had an equivalent camera to offer? Its one thing to say you can't repair a camera that is no longer under warranty. But is really not good when the unit is still under warranty. Oh yeah and your receiving department lost the camera.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:45 AM   #22

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I agree. It's not likely that you're going to buy an entry level body and then go get that $7,000 APO lens (especially when there is no upgrade path available in bodies). Sure-Sony may make a pro level body, but when and will I want it?

My point on equivalents was not for a 5d, which an arguement could be made that the a100 is equivalent to a 5d (I don't think it is though) but for a 7d, where sony doesn't have an equivalent body.

It's not just that though, their whole concept of customer service is on parade, and to me it doesn't look promising. Sending money to repurchase a new KM body only works if it can actually be replaced. Otherwise, you've just got a stack of expensive glass and a entry level camera with questionable warranty coverage as your system.

I also agree that they should have offered you another KM body with a warranty- at least give you the option. Then you'd be here bragging about their service instead of bemoaning it.
Like I've said somewhere before in this and possibly other forums. I have long term history or experiance with Sony when it comes to parts and service for Sony television. They were notorius forwaiting forever for parts or service. They used to also pull shanaigans like designingequipment so that resistors used in the manufacturing process were of uncommon vales. They did this so repairmen couldn't use a generic resistor. Of course a good repairmen could take several resistors and come up with a value that was close, but most weren't willing to risk doing thatThis is back one they were undoubtley the best television on the market. I can't speak for them today since I am no longer in the business. It is obvious though with most of their products that they still tend to make things of a proprietery nature.... perfect example ismemory cards. All I can say to Sony is... long live beta!!!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:45 PM   #23

Yeah, that kind of customer service is unacceptable. I've sent Minolta cameras into Minolta (and then to K-M) DECADES after they ceased manufacture, never once did I get a notice that it couldn't be repaired.

I'm willing to giveSony a little while (probably until I need a new body) to get their act together, perhaps this is only a short term issue due to transition. I kinda hope so, but since my camera manufacturer is dead my loyalties are also. I will no doubt shop the others before my next body.

@Meanstreak, I've never heard that about Sony's engineering, but it doesn't surprise me. It may not be totally by design, it almost seems like Sony just does all engineering in house, and completely shuns the conventional. This could prove groundbreaking, or (as seems evident ) just obscure. Some of Sony's stuff is actually pretty cool. I stopped shopping Sony a while back when some Cordless phones I got (and quite expensive) failed 3 times with no real warranty support. This is how Circuit City got my ongoing business though, they stepped up and made it right. I now shop there almost exclusively when I'm buying electronics. Sure it cost them $300 in the short term, but it's made them many times that since.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:48 PM   #24

Okay so I thought I'd follow up now that I've got the 7D just in case some one else runs across this thread. Got the camera yesterday. Its refurbed and the body shows a little but nothing major. One scratch and a good amount of dust in the nooks and cranies on the top and back of the body. So far it is functioning perfectly. Looking at the camera yes I can tell it is bigger, but I have no idea exactly how much bigger since I don't have a 5D to put next to it. I like the controls and the extra weight. It balances much better with the 28-70 2.8 than the 5D did.

Jury is still out as to whether or not I'll get the Warantech extended warranty on it or not. $60 bucks for a 2 year warranty and they have me send it to Precision wich is the same place Sony/KM send them.

Still have a bad taste in my mouth over them loosing my 5D, but looks like I made out for the better in the end.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:04 AM   #25

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote: Like I've said somewhere before in this and possibly other forums. I have long term history or experiance with Sony when it comes to parts and service for Sony television. They were notorius forwaiting forever for parts or service. They used to also pull shanaigans like designingequipment so that resistors used in the manufacturing process were of uncommon vales. They did this so repairmen couldn't use a generic resistor. Of course a good repairmen could take several resistors and come up with a value that was close, but most weren't willing to risk doing thatThis is back one they were undoubtley the best television on the market. I can't speak for them today since I am no longer in the business. It is obvious though with most of their products that they still tend to make things of a proprietery nature.... perfect example ismemory cards. All I can say to Sony is... long live beta!!!
I have owned Sony TV sets since 1973, and the only repairs needed was the UHF tuner on my original set (after 12 years) and one on my 2nd Tv purchased in 1987. In both cases, a refurbished tuner was installed because the shop recommended the refurb for better quality. I still have the 1987 vintage 20" and bought a 27" last year. IMO, Sony is still tops in CRT tv, but other marques are better when you go LCD, plasma, etc.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:10 PM   #26

Cope,you've attributed me a quote that isn't mine. Not a huge deal, just wanted to make sure nobody thinks I understand the inner workings of televisions ( I've alwaysbelieved thereis a little movie projector and a gnome in there making magic).
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:09 PM   #27

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Cope,you've attributed me a quote that isn't mine. Not a huge deal, just wanted to make sure nobody thinks I understand the inner workings of televisions ( I've alwaysbelieved thereis a little movie projector and a gnome in there making magic).
Sorry about that, I deleted part of the original post and it looks like you are a TV wizard. Should have given credit to Meanstreak. To tell the truth, I sometimes wonder if anyone understands the inner workings of them.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:44 PM   #28

cope wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about that, I deleted part of the original post and it looks like you are a TV wizard. Should have given credit to Meanstreak. To tell the truth, I sometimes wonder if anyone understands the inner workings of them.
No matter how much I understand electricity or electronics, the stuff is still voodoo to me.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:08 PM   #29

Okay here's the update.

Friday night the 5D body showed up on my door step. Today the check from Sony showed up.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:42 PM   #30

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Okay here's the update.

Friday night the 5D body showed up on my door step. Today the check from Sony showed up.
Was the 5D repaired? Does this mean you get to keep the camera and the check? LOL