Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/)
-   -   Sony Lost My Camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt/99458-sony-lost-my-camera.html)

kberntsen Aug 29, 2006 1:38 PM

Okay so Sony managed to loose my Maxxum 5D. I can't find a new 5D body any where, but I can find some 7Ds with kit lense for about what I paid for the 5D a few months back.

Can any one tell me how much bigger and heavier the 7D is vs the 5D. I would probably enjoy having the speed and some of the other functions the 7D has. But is it so heavy that I'll won't want to carry it around?

meanstreak Aug 29, 2006 2:00 PM

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:

Okay so Sony managed to loose my Maxxum 5D. I can't find a new 5D body any where, but I can find some 7Ds with kit lense for about what I paid for the 5D a few months back.

Can any one tell me how much bigger and heavier the 7D is vs the 5D. I would probably enjoy having the speed and some of the other functions the 7D has. But is it so heavy that I'll won't want to carry it around?
You can look at the specs on the website for actual size and weight. I have both and in terms ofphysical size thought larger doesn't feel much different.Both cameras have a similar grip, but because I have small hands the grip is comfortable on both for me. The 5D in someone with large hands might feel smaller because the height seems shorter. I had my 7D first so it is not an issue for me but it is heavier and the difference is noticeable. I don't find it a problem and actually like the 7D with heavier lenses because it feels more balanced. With heavy lenses on the 5D, the camera feels like it wants to tilt forward. I do like the higher resolution screen of the 7D and the viewfinder seems better. I love all the extra buttons and the front and rear dial to change aperture and shutter speed. I also like the larger buffer. I can snap off 9 shots on the 7D as opposed to 3 on the 5D before the camera bogs down. Once the buffers are full though the 5D write to the cardfaster, but I still prefer the larger buffer of the 7D.

The 7D's extra weight and size don't bother me, but I had the 7D first. I do find the 5D easier to carry around, but that is only because I have both and able to compare. The 5D is less conspicuous but not by much as far as size, if that is an issue and you are trying to be discreet.

kberntsen Aug 29, 2006 2:06 PM

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I don't find it a problem and actually like the 7D with heavier lenses because it feels more balanced. With heavy lenses on the 5D, the camera feels like it wants to tilt forward.
I've got the 28-70 f/2.8 and it does feel a little out of balance. Plus it would be nice to have the Sync Port. Also, don't I get to set 3 modes instead of them being pre-programmed?

cope Aug 29, 2006 2:22 PM

Ken, I have held a 7D and had no problem with it. I also have several Minolta film bodies including the 9, and although they are bigger, they are no problem. My 7D should be here tomorrow or Thursday. We can meet for lunch if you want a hands on before buying. I too have the 28-75 f2.8, and it is heavy compared to anything else I have.

kberntsen Aug 29, 2006 2:25 PM

cope wrote:
Quote:

Ken, I have held a 7D and had no problem with it. I also have several Minolta film bodies including the 9, and although they are bigger, they are no problem. My 7D should be here tomorrow or Thursday. We can meet for lunch if you want a hands on before buying. I too have the 28-75 f2.8, and it is heavy compared to anything else I have.
I'll probably be pulling the trigger later today. I can still find them new vs. Refurb if I look for the 5D. So I want to get one new while I can.

tmoreau Aug 29, 2006 7:57 PM

I've had a 5D since january and just got a 7D yesterday, I love it. At first I didnt think it was bigger or heavier but then I picked up the 5D again and was surprised how small it really is! The 7D fits my hand much, much better, and is easier to hold with a slightly heavier lens like my tamron 90mm macro. With that lens the 5d feels a little unwieldy and I really notice having no place for my little finger.

Aside from that, I'm REALLY liking the upgrade. Its the little things, like:
-10s timer dosent reset every frame
-5D iso/drive mode buttons were hard for me to reach
-7D AF/MF button is AWESOME! I like manual focus but can ask the camera to do it one time, anytime I wish (or other way around)
-All the buttons and switches are just great!
-Viewfinder is bigger
-Separate dedicated control wheels for shutter and aperture (This started to get on my nerves!)
-Lock af-point switch (I always seemed to bump the focus point with my nose)
-7D fits all my fingers, my pinky dosent feel all left out anymore
-Manual control of the built in flash allows triggering optical slaves
-3 stop meter scale on lcd instead of 2-stop
-More customizable settings like +/- half stops or third stops, your choice

The 5d had some advantages too though:
-Quieter/ more refined shutter shound
-Integrated hard cover over lcd (meh, could be a bad point)
-LCD is brighter (much brighter)
-Faster write time
-White balance hue shift in a more logical place
-Image review zooms more and is easier to zoom
-Iso menu more clear and hi/low key readily availible



meanstreak Aug 29, 2006 8:41 PM

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I don't find it a problem and actually like the 7D with heavier lenses because it feels more balanced. With heavy lenses on the 5D, the camera feels like it wants to tilt forward.
I've got the 28-70 f/2.8 and it does feel a little out of balance. Plus it would be nice to have the Sync Port. Also, don't I get to set 3 modes instead of them being pre-programmed?
It does come with 3 customizable modes

meanstreak Aug 29, 2006 8:54 PM

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

I've had a 5D since january and just got a 7D yesterday, I love it. At first I didnt think it was bigger or heavier but then I picked up the 5D again and was surprised how small it really is! The 7D fits my hand much, much better, and is easier to hold with a slightly heavier lens like my tamron 90mm macro. With that lens the 5d feels a little unwieldy and I really notice having no place for my little finger.

Aside from that, I'm REALLY liking the upgrade. Its the little things, like:
-10s timer dosent reset every frame
-5D iso/drive mode buttons were hard for me to reach
-7D AF/MF button is AWESOME! I like manual focus but can ask the camera to do it one time, anytime I wish (or other way around)
-All the buttons and switches are just great!
-Viewfinder is bigger
-Separate dedicated control wheels for shutter and aperture (This started to get on my nerves!)
Quote:

Quote:

OK... Why is having seperate dedicated wheels a bad thing? Not saying you are wrong and obviously it is a personal preference, but I just don't see how that could be a disadvantage. Plus you can reverse them if I recall.

Quote:

-Lock af-point switch (I always seemed to bump the focus point with my nose)
-7D fits all my fingers, my pinky dosent feel all left out anymore
-Manual control of the built in flash allows triggering optical slaves
-3 stop meter scale on lcd instead of 2-stop
-More customizable settings like +/- half stops or third stops, your choice

The 5d had some advantages too though:
-Quieter/ more refined shutter shound
-Integrated hard cover over lcd (meh, could be a bad point)
-LCD is brighter (much brighter)
-Faster write time
Quote:

Quote:

Yes the 5D has faster write time to the card, but I hate that the buffer only takes 3 shots before relying on the card. I can snap 9 shots on the 7D before the buffer is full. The difference inwrite speeds is less noticable on quality cards by the way... though the 7D is slower on faster cards, I don't care as much.On slower cards the 7D is a dog.

Quote:

-White balance hue shift in a more logical place
-Image review zooms more and is easier to zoom
-Iso menu more clear and hi/low key readily availible
Quote:

Quote:

I hate how the 7D handles the hi/lo ISO access and they should have fixed that in the firmware. Luckily I don't need that feature much.


Gobs Aug 29, 2006 9:59 PM

in terms of image quality? are they both the same?

meanstreak Aug 29, 2006 10:29 PM

Gobs wrote:
Quote:

in terms of image quality? are they both the same?
Short answer... yes. One tends to underexpose and the other tends to overexpose, but other than that image quality is the same.




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2