Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:40 AM   #1

does a polarizing filter alter a picture different in digital as compared to film
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:48 AM   #2

No it does not alter. If you are shooting the kit lens or another digital lens i would buy the digital filters but if you are shooting a lens from a 35mm camera i would use the 35mm filters. reason why is that the sensor is not only smaller than 35mm negative it is also shaped a little differently. If you want you can also rotate your white balance dial to the thing that looks like the sun and step your sunlight setting down.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:02 PM   #3

What the heck is a digital filter? A "digital lens" as you describe is just one that does not project an image circle large enough to cover a full frame piece of film.

The two types of polarizers are linear and circular. A linear polarizer can interfere with autofocus and metering, and not just in digital cameras. Best bet is to use a circular polarizer.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:07 AM   #4

the reason i asked this is that i did use a circular polarizing filter, and i remembered in film this filter took out glear and gave snap to photos, i recentlly decided to use in on my D5 and found that the photos came out blah!!! and the photos i did not use it in came out good:?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5

There are digital filters and in case you are interested in more info go to thkphoto.com select the digital photo tab, then hoya, and read about why digital filters are reccommended with digital bodies. also ritzcamera.com and the quantaray digital filters under the features section it will tell you reduces more ghost reflection and glare. those are the first and only two sites i checked sure there is more info out there if youre interested.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:46 PM   #6

have you seen that price tag, is it really worth it
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:05 PM   #7

Oh, you mean multicoated filters! Yes, of course, thats a good idea. I see no reason to call them "digital", thats rediculous marketing slang.

I use a B+W MRC circular polarizer, tried a plain hoya before but could plainly see degredation from flare. Same goes for UV, ND, and other filters.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:20 PM   #8

i agree with both of you they are expensive and jsut crafty marketing but none the less they do exist. me personally i shoot lens' from my 35mm on my digital so i use the regular filters. i guess after buying my two lens 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8 my senses are kind of deadened to the price of the filters. my usual lens is 28-200 sigma cause i do alot of hiking and would rather die than damage one of those 2.8 lens'.

although either filter would work a regular 55mm circular polarizer is in the $30s and a "digital circ. polarizer" is about $50 if you look in the right place not a huge difference if you have to buy one, considering the investment you have already made in equip. with the kit price of $599.if you already have 35mm filters shoot them.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:52 AM   #9

something wrong, cause i checked out that filter thru B&H photo and they listed a price of $150.00+ ,
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:57 AM   #10

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
something wrong, cause i checked out that filter thru B&H photo and they listed a price of $150.00+ ,
B&H and Adorama arre high on filters. For quick delivery, I use The Filter Connection, http://www.2filters.com./.

Iif I can wait, I have a couple of eBay dealers.c-store, and duracom 133. 3c is in Hong Kong, charges around $7.95 s&h and gets the filters to you in about 10 days. He sells genuine Hoya, as does Duracom.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote