Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:34 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
when I mean work right with A-mounts, I meant AF and aperture control. Currently if you mount an A-mount onto the nex. You just do not have those option. And they have not come out with the electronic adapter for the A-mounts in the states.
The only adapter that Sony has released so far supports Aperture Control using Minolta A Mount (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha) lenses with the NEX models. They've never released one without aperture control, and the pre-release adapters even supported Autofocus with some lenses (although AF is not available with the production adapters wiith the current NEX firmware, Aperture Control is).

The production Sony adapter is in short supply in the U.S. But, if you do some digging around, some dealers have them now.

Here's one example: http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_LAEA1/

More dealers should have them in stock soon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:36 PM   #12

But it does not work with all lenses. But you can get it still. So they are still trying to debug the system. But I expect that when they release a final product. It will work just like the ones for the m4/3 camera, with full functions.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:44 PM   #13
Administrator

Aperture control works with all Minolta A mount lenses and always has (wiith both pre-production and production adapters).

AF is the issue (you need to use manual focus with all A mount lenses for now).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:45 PM   #14

To me it makes no sense to get an electronic adapter that does not off full feature. JMHO
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:57 PM   #15
Administrator

So, that you can use lenses that don't have an aperture ring (no Minolta AF mount lenses have one). ;-)

AF would be nice to have. But, given a nice LCD with magnified live view for manual focus purposes, that would be a secondary consideration compared to Aperture Control for many users.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:59 PM   #16

If you buy an AF lens, you should have that feature especially if you spend the money for an electronic adapter. It really should have full features.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:07 PM   #17
Administrator

The NEX models are not meant to be an upgrade for existinig A Mount users. That's one reason Sony went with a new lens mount.. But, the adapter does give A mount users a solution if they do want to use their existinig lenses with a smaller camera model wth video ability, only you'll be limited to manual focus for now.

If you want full functionality including Autofocus with A mount lenses, buy a Sony dSLR instead (and they've already announced they'll be releasiing new models with the ability to record video this year). ;-)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:14 PM   #18

I have said to each their own. I am from the school of thought that if you buy and electronic adapter, you should have full features like what panny and oly did. But with the softness of the 2 kit lens, some of the A-mount lenses would be a better option. But buying a digital camera and mounting a AF lens on it and having MF only is not really something the vast majority of buyers want. Now most of the target market, the kit lenses will be a vast improvement from what they are uses too. So if you were serious into photography, and want some sharper images with the nex you are just limited to MF currently.

I really hope they can get all the AF issue resolved. That way sony owner that want a small compact body with sharper images can mount some of the good minolta and sony G,CZ lenses on it.