Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:39 PM   #1

Default First humble beggining with a NEX-5

Hi All

Well Ive had a NEX-5 for about a two months now, and ok ive played with it but never got chance to go out and see what it could really do. Work kept getting in the way , so anyway last week i was in the Peak district (uk) and took a fair few shots.

In general Im v happy with what i captured, ok so the kit lens 18-55 may not be the best in the world according to some , but i have to say that i am more than pleased with it, i think sometimes its case of knowing how to use a camera than just point and shoot and complain if its not as good as you want.

Ive attached a few shots , all are taken with 18-55 lens, handheld, only PP has been done with Sony's supplied RAW editing software again not the greatest but it works, until i get PSE 8.

Just so you know my starting point, I initially had a Fuji 9500 bridge camera, then moved onto a Pentax K10, moved onto the Sony Nex-5 as i wanted something more pocketable yet with the same ability to catch great detail.

My Wife bought a Canon 7D at the same time, she has a sigma pro lens , but im happy to report that in most cases when reviewing our shots together it was sometimes difficault to guage whos camera had taken which shot.

Any comments welcome, i know some of the shots are not perfect, but these were more in the line of what can the camera do.

Regards
Goth
Attached Images

gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Nice shots. I'm curious as to why the camera chose ISO 400 for some of the shots (unless you had forced the ISO to 400) like the rocks with an f8 and 1/1250.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Super Moderator

these look good. looks like you are off to a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Nice shots. I'm curious as to why the camera chose ISO 400 for some of the shots (unless you had forced the ISO to 400) like the rocks with an f8 and 1/1250.
Tullio- yea, my guess is it was set to 400, then in manual he just matched a shutter speed to f8
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:21 AM   #4
Administrator

Congrats on the NEX-5. BTW, I can't tell what firmware version you're using. But, if you're not aware of it, Sony recently released newer version 03 firmware, with some improvements over the older version 01 and 02 firmware. See this article about it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...sed_in_us.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:55 PM   #5

Default iso and settings

Hi All

Thanks for the comments

I should have mentioned i am using firmware 3, a great improvement for quickly changing settings on the fly.

Was in full manual mode for all shots, ramped up to 400 to get good speed versus focal distance.

Think i did ok in most of the shots.
Was a little dissapointed with the fly agaric shot as i had the focul point set off center and didnt realise till id walked aquite a way away from them. Oh well always next time !!

Most impressed with waterfall shot

Initial shot looked awful to be honest, very over exposed, but a bit of tweaking using the sony raw software and , wow a much better shot

unedited shot (top picture) and final tweaked version(lower shot) , a bit larger too.

Thanks for the comments always nice to know im not totally inept.

Regards

Goth
Attached Images

gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:31 PM   #6

hi, im wondering if you can post more shots, and more comments about this camera? my wife loves it and wants it badly.........im trying to get her to wait till CES thinking maybe a NEX-7 will show.......so them maybe prices will drop LOL
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote