Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Question is the Nex-5 in my future?

well i have been throwing around the idea of the Nex-5. after buying the canon T2i and "trying to use it" for a week, i returned it. its just too much camera for me. i could not get any decent pics, i tried and tried, but its size and difficultly were not for me.

which leads me back to the Nex-5......i LOVE how it feels in my hands...i like it better than the Nex-3 because its got more of a "grip" to hold onto. its small, and really seems a lot easier to use!! almost point and shoot easy really....

NOW ill basically be using this camera to shoot pics around the house of our kitties, the dog, our girls, trips to the zoo, local car shows, trips to the park, random creatures that appear in the open-space behind our house...etc...

are there any reasons to convince me not to get this little camera?
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:10 AM   #2

the only zoom lens for is is the 18-200HD lens that is 800 dollars. And the 2 kit lenses 16mm and the 18-55 are kinda poor lenses very soft. But it is a point and shoot upgrade, so the softness is not apparent from a point and shoot user when upgrading. They did aim it at the point and shooter, not the dslr user looking for a travel camera.

But the samsung nx100 is a better setup then the sony. And samsung has very good lenses for it, and it is really small as well. The samsung uses the same size sensor as the sony nex. So both will be a real upgrade form a point and shoot because of the dslr size sensor.

My personal compact travel camera is the olympus epl-1 since it is micro 4/3 it can use all the olympus micro 4/3 lenses as well as the panasonic micro 4/3 lenses. A great zoo lens for it is the panasonic 45-200mm and the kit lens work really well for photos. And the zoom lens is not to expensive at 270 dollars.

All three camera has full auto mode, and screen modes, with makes them very easy to uses.

Here is an example of what the olympus can do at a zoo with the 45-200mm lens
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:29 PM   #3

I've heard of and seen decent results from both the kit lenses, so don't automatically diss them. They are better than most kit lenses and you can get great results from them.
It really depends on how you see yourself going. Will you be sticking with just the 18-55mm? Does it then really matter if you have a wide range of lens selection? These are important.
If you plan to buy new lenses (and the current lineup is not to your liking) I would say go with the Samsung.
However, the Nex's are extremely slick, and Sony plans to come out with more lenses (including third party ones) in the future (and possibly a higher spec model) as they are quite popular.
Personally, I would love to have one as a backup camera (not as primary because I want specific lenses not Nexified yet). They are very cool.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4

well............im about $100.00 away from getting this nex-5 dual lens kit, i had the money before, but an unexpected hospital visit for one of my daughters left my wallet in an empty stooper for a while................
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
I've heard of and seen decent results from both the kit lenses, so don't automatically diss them. They are better than most kit lenses and you can get great results from them.
It really depends on how you see yourself going. Will you be sticking with just the 18-55mm? Does it then really matter if you have a wide range of lens selection? These are important.
If you plan to buy new lenses (and the current lineup is not to your liking) I would say go with the Samsung.
However, the Nex's are extremely slick, and Sony plans to come out with more lenses (including third party ones) in the future (and possibly a higher spec model) as they are quite popular.
Personally, I would love to have one as a backup camera (not as primary because I want specific lenses not Nexified yet). They are very cool.

I have seen large scale photos of the nex kit lenses. And I am not dissing them, they are just soft. When you view them on a 36" monitor you can really see the difference in what the samsung lenses and the sony lenses can do. And the samsung lenses are allot sharper.