Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Help with possible metering fault

Hello folks. I recently in vested in an Nex5 and love it. Apart form the fact that it seems to have an issue with underexposing when used in Multi metering mode. With spot and centre it's fine. I filled the viewfinder/screen totally with an evenly lit plain cream carpet and both centre and spot are fine, but the second I switch to Multi it visibly dims and the shots themselves ocme out noticeably underexposed. Sony are clueless. As are Jessops. Can anyone help before I have to send it off for warranty repair please?
lfc1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It sounds strange. If you are shooting exactly the same subject and it's a single colour then they should expose the same. If it is a light carpet though then it should all be under exposed as the camera assumes you are trying to make everything to a medium exposure. For example if you shoot a black wall and a white wall they will both come out a medium grey.

Have you got some examples you can post? What does it do in the different metering modes when shooting a normal outdoor scene.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:51 PM   #3

I can't explain it at all. I expect it to adjust everything to zone 5 on the old a Adams system but if all three systems have sensors receiving the same light intensity I expected them to be equal so like you said its strange. I
will definitely take your advice and try some outdoor shots as maybe its the incandescent light that's catching it out. I will try it tomorrow or the day after as soon as I am home. thanks for the quick response.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:23 PM   #4

Tried it inside tonight and found that with bright even sources it's fine. Against a plain cream wall with plenty of light all three modes of metering gave the same outcome. Against a more dull carpet, it varied, and again in other situations under poorer light it varied greatly. Which is a shame as it's peformance in low light is one of the main reasons I wanted this particular camera. I'll try it outside and if it's ok there then I guess it's just a low light thing or maybe the metering just isn't all that great on this camera. I'm used to a D5000 and never get an issue with metering at all. I'llpost back tomorrow once I've tried it outside.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:07 PM   #5

Try exchanging it for a new one. If the new one is the same, then you know it is operator error.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:22 PM   #6

I will try taking the demo model from the store tomorrow to see if it gives the same problem. It's very disappointing as it's a great little camera otherwise.

Will post back and let you know folks.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:58 PM   #7

Tried the demo model in store and it does the exact same thing. Really weird. Must be an issue that affects the model as opposed to just my sample. When I try my Nikon slr and a Canon compact it's just fine. Seen a few sample shots online in reviews and it exhibits the same thing but to a lesser degree. Just have to stick to centre metering indoors.

Thanks anyway folks.