Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:41 PM   #1

Question Nex-5 with Sony DT 55 - 200mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens

will this Sony DT 55-200mm lens work with the Nex-5? i ask because im seriously thinking of getting the Nex-5....so serious in fact that im about $73.00 away from my goal of getting it.

anyway with the lens adapter will this lens work well? a friend of mine is upgrading some of his sony lenses along with getting a new sony DSLR and said he would sell me this lens for $50.00 if i want it.....ive seen it and it looks like its never been used.......so i figure if it will work and work like the Nex 18-200mm maybe i should get it then?

EDIT.........ok im not 100% sure, it might be this lens......i know it was a max of 200mm or 250mm, and he isint answering his phone for me to ask.......

Last edited by bryman; Jan 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:03 PM   #2

nope, the nex will not use alpha lenses currently. They use a E mount lens vs A mount on their dslrs
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:09 PM   #3

even with the LA-EA1 adapter?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:14 PM   #4

yup the had the adapter, but they still need to push out the firmware to get it to work. Not sure if that is out yet.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:15 PM   #5

currently only the nex camcorder can use alpha lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1011/10...10firmware.asp
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:17 PM   #6

so its a camera firmware update? not a adapter update?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:19 PM   #7

yup, they had the adapter for a while, the nex 3 and nex 5 just did not AF with the alpha lenses. All you could do is set aperture. Supposely they will work on the next gen nex, and they might push a firmware to fix the nex 3 and nex 5. The AF problem with Alpha lenses was a concern to some sony users when they were launched.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:20 PM   #8

But with the alpha lenses, you will not have IS, and on longer ranges, it might be an issue when trying to frame on only a lcd. I had that problem with my epl-1 with a 45-200mm lens until I added the EVF.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:42 AM   #9

Both the camera firmware update and the adapter firmware update are out.

However, neither the camera nor the adapter have a built-in AF motor, so only lenses that have their own AF motor will AF. The current Sony 55-200 has a SAM motor, but the earlier version didn't. I suspect that your friend's 55-200 is the older version which doesn't have the SAM motor, and so won't AF on a NEX body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:19 AM   #10
Administrator

Yep.... the firmware giving you the ability to AF via the adapter with SAM or SSM lenses has been available for for months (released in October for the NEX-5 and NEX-3).

It was out before we even published our NEX-5 review in November. Note the second paragraph of the review conclusion.

Quote:
Sony also offers an optional LA-EA1 adapter to allow mounting of Minolta and Sony A mount lenses, while giving you Aperture Control based on camera settings. The latest Adapter firmware also allows Minolta or Sony SSM (Supersonic Motor) or Sony SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) lenses to Autofocus on the NEX-5.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...usion-105.html

The adapter firmware to allow AF with the NEX-VG10 didn't come out until November (but, the NEX-3 and NEX-5 got the new adapter firmware in October).

We also published a news article about the new firmware on October 22nd. See my post with a link to it in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...rmware-v3.html

Here's the news article (published on October 22):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...sed_in_us.html

But, as TCav mentioned, AF will only work with lenses that have built in focus motors (for example, SAM or SSM lenses in the Sony lineup). With other Alpha mount lenses (without built in motors), you will have aperture control via camera settings, but they will be manual focus only.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote