Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:29 PM   #11
Administrator

Probably not. I didn't try the NEX-5 that way (although I have used the A500 and A550 that way before and would want a faster MS Pro HG Duo card for that purpose).

That's also why I said this:

"I wouldn't expect most buyers of the NEX-5 to be using one for sports."

But, that's not to say you couldn't use one for that kind of thing if you're just capturing a fixed spot and taking short bursts. Speed Priority at 7fps shooting RAW would eat through the buffer in about a second, and you'd get much faster full buffer frame rates using MS Pro HG duo cards.

Most users would probably not benefit from a card that fast in one though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:33 PM   #12

at 2.7fps, a race car burst would be gone in less then 2 sec. Do not really need anything faster then a class 6 to shoot that in reality. But as the transcend is as cheap as many class 6. I would just save the money and get the transcend over the duo card. Paper spec do have caveats at times.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:44 PM   #13
Administrator

If you're trying to capture most of the cars coming out of corners, you're taking lots of consecutive bursts, and when you have slower buffer flush times, your camera will slow down very quickly shooting that kind of action (especially given the very slow full buffer frame rates you get with SDHC cards).

You have to take flush times into consideration, too. Flush times with MS Pro HG Duo cards are much faster, whereas when using a slower SDHC card, you'd have to wait much longer in between bursts before being able to take another full speed burst.

That's probably one reason why most higher end dSLR models still support Compactflash cards. SDHC cards are just not very fast in comparison to the latest UDMA CF cards.

That is slowly changing with newer SDHC and SDXC card types now though (which should allow for much faster speeds in the future).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:44 PM   #14

luckily my girls are only 4 and 1 so sports is not here yet, by that time im sure ill be advanced enough to get a better camera.........but thats not to say i wont be using speed priority often........and yes the pano feature is sweet, ill definatley be using it frequently!!
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:47 PM   #15

I go to F1 races and superbikes races. At 2.7fps you will not have to worry about the flush. They are gone by the time you hit 4 shots. Specs are nice, but the reality the nex will not need the duo performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you're trying to capture most of the cars coming out of corners, you're taking lots of consecutive bursts, and when you have slower buffer flush times, your camera will slow down very quickly shooting that kind of action (especially given the very slow full buffer frame rates you get with SDHC cards).

You have to take flush times into consideration, too. Flush times with MS Pro HG Duo cards are much faster, whereas when using a slower SDHC card, you'd have to wait much longer in between bursts before being able to take another full speed burst.

That's probably one reason why most higher end dSLR models still support Compactflash cards. SDHC cards are just not very fast in comparison to the latest UDMA CF cards.

That is slowly changing with newer SDHC and SDXC card types now though (which should allow for much faster speeds in the future).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:47 PM   #16
Administrator

Try the short ovals (dirt tracks) around here. ;-)

If you're using a camera with a 7 frame RAW buffer (like the NEX-5 has), you'll fill it up very fast.

I've taken many thousands of photos at the tracks around here using a variety of dSLR models (with Pit access BTW, shooting with the Track Photogs), and if you want a higher percentage of good shots of more cars, you're taking bursts almost constantly as groups of cars exit the corners. It wears you out you're panning back and forth so much.

So, if you want to shoot RAW (which I do), a fast card is a must using a camera with a smaller buffer if you don't want to be waiting on the camera. ;-)

Buffer flush time is a big issue, as is full buffer frame rate for that type of shooting (where you're taking lots of consecutive bursts with very little time between them). You want a fast card for that kind of thing.

Now, again, I doubt most NEX-5 users would be using it for that kind of shooting (as you say, the AF probably wouldn't keep up). But, if they wanted to try it (and keep in mind it can do 7fps if they wanted to focus on a spot and fire off bursts), I'd suggest a faster Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card so that they're not slowing down to 1 frame every couple of seconds with a full buffer (which is what you'd have using one with an SDHC card) or waiting 10 seconds between full speed bursts for the buffer to finish flushing (which is what you'd have using an SDHC card with one).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:51 PM   #17

well on a shot track, I doubt the AF will be able to keep up. Specs are nice reality is different.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:08 PM   #18

what about the SDXC cards?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:29 PM   #19

They are just higher capacity SDHC cards starting at 64gb going up to 128gb. They are class 10 as well. Very expensive.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:15 PM   #20

yeah i just didnt know if they were faster as well as higher storage