Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Exclamation what card do you use in your Nex?

im going this week to pick up a Nex-5.........i have my older Lexar class 4 sdhc 4gb card.....but ill probably use that as a backup card.

what card do you guys use for your Nex? Sandisk is awfully expensive....a lot of people seem to use Transcend....id like a larger size card that's fast cause i have kids on the move all the time, so ill be taking video often i believe.

im thinking at least a 16gb class 10 but which one?

lots of feedback is VERY much appreciated...........
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:58 PM   #2
Administrator

The Transcend Class 10 cards are good performers if you want to stick with SDHC. They're priced very reasonable at vendors like newegg.com now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ass+10&x=0&y=0

If you want even faster, go for a 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card. See this post for more info on how they compare to SDHC cards.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ml#post1181325
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:29 PM   #3

you really will not need faster then the transcend really.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:05 PM   #4
Administrator

I wouldn't expect most buyers of the NEX-5 to be using one for sports....

But, there is a substantial difference in performance with one by using a 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card (as compared to a fast SDHC card) from what I can see from test results.

For example, we tested the NEX-5 using a Sandisk 30MB/Second Pro HG Duo card and the camera was able to maintain 2.7 fps for an unlimited number of frames. Shooting RAW, we saw 15 frames at 2.7 fps before the camera slowed down to approx. 1.6 frames per second.

Yet, if you look at the NEX-5 review at dpreview.com, they only got 35 frames before a slowdown shooting JPEG, and only got 8 frames before a slowdown shooting RAW before the camera slowed down to 0.6fps (taking almost 2 seconds per frame after 8 frames).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page5.asp

IOW, the Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card we used allowed you to get almost twice as many RAW shots before a slowdown compared to the cards dpreview.com used; with "full buffer" write speeds that were more than twice as fast.

See our test results in the NEX-5 review conclusion here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...usion-105.html

That's not the first time I've seen that kind of thing. You'll see the same types of differences in their A550 review, because they used slow cards (not bothering to try testing the camera with Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards, which are *much* faster than older Memory Stick card types). The HG is the important part (allowing 8 bit parallel transfers at higher clock speeds compared to the older Memory Stick cards available, which used 4 bit parallel transfer modes). They haven't tested any Sony models that way yet (with faster Memory Stick Pro HG Cards) from what I can see from their reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...550/page11.asp

We tested the A550 both ways (using the latest Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SDHC, as well as a Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro Duo Card). The Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card is much faster. See our tests of the camera's performance in our conclusion for it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-43.html

If you're not shooting sports using RAW and taking lots of bursts. Then, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

But, if you do plan on taking lots of bursts using RAW, I'd consider going with a 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card instead of an SDHC card.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:33 PM   #5

wow thanks JimC that's some really great info!! i keep forgetting that the Nex used both cards........

how bout this Memory Stick.........actually a great price for the capacity especially since its from sandisk LOL
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:53 PM   #6
Administrator

That's what I'd probably get if buying a Memory Stick versus SDHC Card. It's a Sandisk 30MB/Second MS Pro HG Duo card, and those test quite fast compared to the Sandisk 30MB/Second SDHC cards.

That 16GB Sandisk MS Pro HG Duo card is also less expensive compared to one of the Sandisk 16GB 30MB/Second SDHC cards the last time I checked prices for both (but, I haven't looked lately).

But, again, if you're not planning on taking lots of consecutive bursts shooting RAW (and there would be very little need for that with most subject types), then there are less expensive options (for example, a 16GB Class 10 Transcend SDHC Card is only $28.99 delivered right now):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-535-_-Product
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:03 PM   #7

yeah mostly like i said itll be video here and there.......probably some speed shots of the girls running at the park, (that nex take some fast as heck 7 shots per-second lol.) and a lot of our animals......we back up to an Open Space area plus have a large sod/corn farm beside us, so there is a lot of coyote, fox etc to shoot as well
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:07 PM   #8

just bear in mine, all those numbers are just numbers. You will not be shooting super long burst with the nex for action, at 2.7 fps, the action will pass after 2 sec. As it really does not do that to well. And how many sweep panos are you planning to take in a roll to be honest that the longer duration is something you will need. As the camera will need to do a dump after each sweep.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:21 PM   #9
Administrator

Flush times are also much faster using MS Pro HG Duo. ;-)

But, for most uses, you probably wouldn't need a card that fast.

Where I have problems with a full buffer is when taking lots of short bursts of something like car races. For example, trying to catch bursts of each group of cars coming out of a corner. The buffer on cameras tends to fill up very fast that way when taking lots of consecutive bursts shooting RAW (and I tend to shoot most everything using RAW anymore). So, full buffer write speeds come into the equation (where MS Pro HG Duo cards allow full buffer frame rates that are more than twice as fast compared to SDHC cards in a model like the NEX-5). Ditto for buffer flush times (the MS Pro HG Duo cards allow the camera to flush a full buffer much faster so you can recover and get faster burst speeds again).

But, for most purposes, a slower Class 10 SDHC card would work fine.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:23 PM   #10

short bust of race cars is really not something this little camera was really design to shoot. The AF will not be able to keep up. You really need a dslr for that.