Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Camera Firmware Issue

I just received my NEX-3 on Friday. On Saturday I had an event where I was really looking forward to using the camera.

In the morning, I decided to install Firmware V3 using my Windows7 Dell Netbook. However, something happened and the process would fail intermitently between 5-15% and then the camera would not turn on, it could only be recognized by the update software.

Before getting desperate, I asked my sister to borrow me her older laptop with Windows XP. It installed the firmware without any issues.

So, just to leave some experience for other users, if you have trouble with the firmware, just try another computer (maybe some issue with Win7)?

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2

Was the Netbook plugged in, or was it operating on battery power?

You received a brand-spanking-new NEX-3, and it didn't have the latest firmware?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Well,

I'm pretty sure I tried with battery power first, and probably with AC adapter later, but I'm sure battery was over 80% all the times, why should this be a difference?

And with XP, it was connected as it's battery only lasts a few minutes (older laptop)

And yes, it is new (sealed box) and came with firmware V2... That happens often in Mexico, products come here late and often are older lots... The advantage is that I got it for under 550USD including the 18-55 lense, I think it was a great price for Latin America.

Regards
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:46 AM   #4

most nex 3 have been in the supply chain for a while. And are not updated to the latest software once they leave the factory. So that is a very common thing. Even newer camera still in production have that happen normally.

The 60D had 2 firmware since it's release, and most in the supply chain is on the original or the first firmware. So the the olympus epl-2. And these are still in production camera. So it is not likely the discontinue models will have updated firmware.

Sounds like a window 7 issue actually.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:56 AM   #5
Administrator

I've updated an NEX-5 to the V3 firmware using a Dell Desktop running 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium with no issues, and I doubt there would be much difference in the update process for an NEX-3.

What Win 7 OS was your Netbook running? I don't think Sony's software is compatible with "Starter" versions of Windows, like you find on some inexpensive netbooks.

If you were running Win 7 Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate and it didn't work, then my guess is that something running on your laptop was interfering with communications over the USB port (virus protection, firewall, etc.), or another USB device you had plugged in was interfering in some way.

I have not seen any reports of problems running the updates from other Sony NEX users. But, I'll keep an eye out for anyone else reporting problems, just in case there is a problem.

One thing I don't like about the firmware update process is that it requires running Sony software to perform the update, and this software is only compatible with certain OS X and Windows operating systems. Olympus is doing the same type of thing anymore.

I prefer firmware updates that do not require running software that communicates with a camera during an update process.

Most other camera models with firmware updates available allow installation of the update by copying a file to a memory card that the camera will recognize as a firmware update when powered up.

That way, a specific operating system is not required (since you can use any Operating System with a card reader and copy the firmware update to a memory card); and you're not reliant on software running and communicating with the camera to perform an update. I don't even have Windows installed on two of the computers I use now (Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop, Asus Eee PC 900 16G netbook), as I run Linux on these instead.

In fact, I'm typing this post with the Dell laptop, using Firefox 4.01 under SimplyMEPIS 11.

So, Sony's firmware update procedure for the NEX models gets a "thumbs down" from me, since it requires running software under Windows or OS X to perform the update.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:07 PM   #6

Well, it's just strange, my Netbook is a newer Dell and it comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, so that shouldn't be an issue. I often use my Android Phone for developing (debugging) on this PC, no USB issues at all, even the Sony camera copies files perfectly, but the update software just failed.

Seems like next week Sony will be releasing a new FW version. If so, i will be seeing if I can get it working on my PC, I just can't believe it worked on an older XP computer and not on mine, specially because both computers had exactly the same antivirus software active...

Anyway, thank you for your comments, I was afraid that it was Win7 related which would make me worry a bit as XP computers are harder to find every day...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:53 AM   #7

Just as a last update, just downloaded version 04. Had the same issue with my computer. I restarted the PC in "Safe Mode" and then it updated without any issues.

Not sure yet if I should have run the upgrade as Admin since I disabled Antivirus and anything I thought could interfere. Maybe version 05 will give me another chance to check...

So, it might be helpful for people that have trouble to apply the update in "Safe Mode"...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:53 PM   #8

My guess is that Win7 had some power management doohickey kick in, and cause the operation to fail.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote