Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Default Rokinon 8mm

These are some images and Q&A from Rokinon 8mm on Sony nex.
Not saying the images are that exciting, just experimentation, to help you decide if you need this lens.
First some standard shots:
Name:  Flowers1.JPG
Views: 1527
Size:  188.7 KB
Name:  Flowers2.JPG
Views: 3022
Size:  180.5 KB
Then a pano:
Name:  PoolPano.JPG
Views: 1380
Size:  104.5 KB
The a crop from that pano:
Name:  PoolCrop.JPG
Views: 1585
Size:  188.9 KB
What I can say so far is that I have at least a 270 deg pano from this lens.
Also: The "pano stitch" seems to include some magic fisheye correction!
So: You can use the pano mode OK with this lens, and use it to create a great wide angle group shot (I think).
The expanded shot of the pool, cut from the pano is great progress in that direction.
However, you do loose some "megapixels" in the process.
I hope to add some better shots, when I have time. The lens just arrived today.
SnapCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:24 AM   #2

Samyang 8mm is an excellent lens - three pictures
first made with $ 50 "fisheye"
second with Samyang=Rokinon 8mm
third pano from 2 pictures with Samyang 8mm

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:51 AM   #3

Thanks. A slight difference is that this is the e mount version, so no adapter is needed.
Name:  rokinon8mmnex.JPG
Views: 1900
Size:  177.9 KB
It looks like you did "out of camera" stitching of your pano?
Do you have any comments on the in camera pano, and the way it seems to do "fisheye correction". I found that very interesting, in that they must have a "correction" algorithm built in to cope with slight curves from their standard lenses, which handles the big curves from this lens. Or: Is it just taking more shots and taking thin strips from the center of each shot?

Last edited by SnapCrazy; Aug 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:27 AM   #4

Duc: I guess your first image was a C mount? I hunted around these, and never ended up buying any. There are some very wide angles and zooms out there, but it's hard to find any for 1/2 in sensor. All the 1/3 inch would be a tiny image circle. I searched the web many times, and found some ideas at 35mm, but not much useful for wide angle. Also the glass has to be "5MP quality". Is there a thread somewhere dicussing "C mount on NEX" or has anyone compiled an image database? To some reading this, that $50 fisheye would be a "good price" to experiment at, instead of the $199 which this lens cost me.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:31 AM   #5

Another (sad) note is they obviously could not afford to reformat the optics for the Nex, so the lens has a very deep mount, the same size as an adapter. Ideally an E version would be smaller, though I suspect we will wait a long time for that, and it will cost a lot more! This is also a "dead mount" lens, with no aperture feedback.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:46 AM   #6

First pictures was made with such a lens:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fis....c0.m270.l1313

It makes NO DIFFERENCE if you use e-mount or adapter - depth (to photo plane) must always be the same!

My Samyangs have Canon mount - they fit Canon, m4/3, NEX, NX ... such a mount is better /more universal than E-mount! :-)

Sense makes mount for m4/3 - but not usable for other cameras:

Samyang 8mm ... Samyang 7.5mm for m4/3

Samyang 35mm mounted with diff. cameras - same for 8mm, 14mm, 85mm

Last edited by DonalDuc; Aug 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:11 PM   #7

Duc:
Thanks for the info.
Yes: I agree with it all. My lens is specific, and has to be a fixed distance from sensor.
I think I got it for a reasonable price.
My budget gets me one camera (better last 5 years), but if you can afford many, I guess you have the right idea (lens + adapter).
I’m hoping the E mount lasts as a standard long enough to get great future use of my lenses.
Maybe you missed one of my points a little bit:
I think a (future) lens specifically engineered for the NEX would have different lens elements, such that the focus is closer to the rear element, allowing a lighter lens, with better flash coverage.
Alternatives may be some other “mirror-less camera” specific lens design, with a “thin” adapter ring for E mount.
My understanding from your post is that you have “Canon with mirror” mount lenses, which use an adapter “with built in spacer” to adjust for the lack of mirror on the Nex.
The images you can shoot are the same in all cases, though:
We are all “a little guilty” here of defeating one of the benefits of the NEX, by attaching a lens which requires such a “spacer”.
Though we are forced into this path by market forces. There are very few Nex specific lenses available.
Thank you again for your valuable comments and information, and for taking interest in my thread.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:00 PM   #8

Adapters are cheap and usable for different cameras and lenses. Even m4/3 lenses you can use with NEX - 3D movies and 3D pictures with NEX5