Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:59 PM   #1

Default First day with NEX-6

I have finally made the transition from my A-55 with the SAL 18-250 to the NEX-6 with the 16-50 (for now) to be my small travel kit. I intend on getting the 18-200.

I have had the opportunity to play around with the NEX-7 for a few days so I had some realistic expectations of what the NEX could do.

My initial feeling of the 6s ergonomics is after sitting around all night and playing with the controls trying to familiarize myself with them. I like them.
The NEX-7 control layout is probably better but the dual wheels would always confuse me and I would spin the wrong one a lot.

Coming from A-mount the controls seem intuitive for the most part. My style of shooting varies on the environment I'm in and if the camera has live view.

For cameras with live view I like shooting manual. I usually set my aperture to the desired DOF then spin the other control wheel adjusting exposure through the shutter speed adjustment. Trying to keep the shutter speed at least as high as the focal length of the lens I sometimes need to adjust the ISO as quick as possible to keep my shutter speeds fast enough.

I also like to select my focus area with the multi selector.

For cameras without live view (my FFs) I usually shoot in aperture mode and controlling exposure with the EV+- adjustment and ISO. I shoot full manual while using flash in a studio setting.

There is a learning curve of course with some unfortunate trade-offs but there is also some nice advantages.

Advantages;
One, the size. It's amazing how powerful a camera of this size is. The high ISO is great, the video?? I'm not much of a video guy but I intend to use it quite a lot. So far it looks good to me. I use a mac so there are some compatibility issues.
There are not a lot of fast lenses yet. No fast zooms but the high ISO helps in this area.

Disadvantages;
If your a hands on manual shooter and like to be in control of everything you will have to get used to taking some extra steps. For instance, If you adjust your focus area you can't do that while simultaneously adjusting exposure with the thumbwheel. You need to first set your focus area, lock it then you can adjust your exposure. You could get exposure adjustment set first then adjust your focus area but when you move you camera the exposure value will likely change.

I'm sure with more time opinions will change but I like the small camera big sensor idea.

The key issue is the size and the image quality. I usually grab the smallest and lightest option when traveling or going out for the day.

I'll post some examples from my first day. All JPEG fine. Aperture does not read the raw files yet. I did get a free Lightroom 4 with my purchase but I'm still on the fence about which to go.
Extreme highlights and shadows with ISO 6400
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jan 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:02 PM   #2

16mm wide open. Color reproduction is very impressive with AWB. ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:03 PM   #3

16mm, f/8, ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:15 PM   #4

50mm, f/8, ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:17 PM   #5

33mm, f/8, ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:54 PM   #6

Some great shots you got there. Think you will be happy with your camera once you become one with it.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
Some great shots you got there. Think you will be happy with your camera once you become one with it.
Thanks.

After playing around with some of the picture effects in jpeg I'm having a lot of fun. It's like a toy camera that can take some serious pictures.

The high ISO is very useful.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Thanks.

After playing around with some of the picture effects in jpeg I'm having a lot of fun. It's like a toy camera that can take some serious pictures.

The high ISO is very useful.

Nice shots!

I've has mine a little over a month and I think my A550 may end up collecting dust except for the fact that I have so many "A" mount lenses. This camera fits so nicely in my pocket and I think I can get away with using it at events where they don't DSLRs. I also has the 55-200 lens but havn't tried it yet. Got it cheap as part of a bundle. Guess I should try it out just to make sure it works. I used to laugh at the concept of liveview until I got the A550. When I got the A550 I used to laugh at the concept of video on a DSLR until I saw other people doing it. The NEX6 has most everything I want. The only thing I miss friom the DSLR worls is the is the optical viewfinder, but hey the EVF will do. Love the WIFI feature. Sort of wish it had a touch screen to access the menus but can't have everything. I'm thinking I should get a screen protector and small camera bag to keep this thing pristene like the rest of my gear.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote