Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:32 PM   #11

Thanks shoturtle.
I'm still getting used to this mirrorless type of camera.

I was a little disappointed today. I tried to get some shots of my granddaughter running around a playground and didn't do very well.
It may just be the way I have the settings adjusted with the AF, but I do hope that it can can perform better with moving subjects then what I got today.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:57 PM   #12

mirrorless are not going to be great for those kind of shot, first shot is the only one they focus on when using the burst mode. And if it is off, the whole burst is off. Also the AF tracking is still not an equal to a dslr's phase detect system. So tracking a youngster running around will be a challenge. But static shots they are great.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:35 PM   #13

Hi Mike, these are some outstanding shots. It helps immensely to have such beautiful coastline, which lends itself very well to your photography. I won't comment on the camera, as I have not had the chance to shoot with one, but your "still life" shots look really good.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
mirrorless are not going to be great for those kind of shot, first shot is the only one they focus on when using the burst mode. And if it is off, the whole burst is off. Also the AF tracking is still not an equal to a dslr's phase detect system. So tracking a youngster running around will be a challenge. But static shots they are great.
You are correct about the AF speed of the NEX compared to a DSLR. With the new hybrid sensor that has phase detection AF built into the sensor and contrast AF tune fine tune the AF (as advertised) I was let down as I mentioned. I have since researched the lenses that work with the new hybrid AF and it appears that there are 5 lenses at the moment that are compatible with the new AF system. One of the lenses that is compatible is the 18-200 but it does not clarify if it is the new or old or both. I was shooting with the 18-200 new version but I'm not sure if that lens is compatible or not.
(EDIT) the SEL 18-200 I mention is compatible with the PDAF on the new NEX-5 and 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Hi Mike, these are some outstanding shots. It helps immensely to have such beautiful coastline, which lends itself very well to your photography. I won't comment on the camera, as I have not had the chance to shoot with one, but your "still life" shots look really good.
Thanks Robert.
These are my local stomping grounds and I frequently hike around here in an effort to try to stay in decent shape. It really is a beautiful place and I never get tired of the view especially at sunset. I can't get myself to come down here and NOT bring a camera. I'm hoping that the new NEX will perform well enough to replace my A55. I sure love the small size, it makes it so much easier to hike around the cliffs. With the new 16-50 kit lens it fits into my jacket pocket. No more camera strap, nice.

Last edited by lomitamike; Jan 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:57 AM   #15

Nice shots with the NEX-6 camera. I have been looking at the NEX system for a vacation travel camera so I don't have to carry my Canon 7D system around all the time.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The shots are very sharp. Glad to see a excellent camera match with a good lens. The combo produce some excellent photos for a megazoom lens.
Ditto! This lens has really good optical quality. Nice sunset pictures!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Nice shots with the NEX-6 camera. I have been looking at the NEX system for a vacation travel camera so I don't have to carry my Canon 7D system around all the time.
Thats exactly the reason I bought into the system. A small camera with a proportionally large sensor. Some of the NEX lenses are small, at least a little smaller then the APS-C lenses I was using on my Sony A-55.

I'm still in the "feeling out stage" with this system. The focus peaking and manual focus assist are pretty cool features that make me want to start venturing into legacy lenses with adapters.

For now I'm fortunate to have on loan a bag full of NEX lenses.
The new 10-18 that I took out today, 18-200, the 50 f/1.8 that I also used today, the 30 macro and A-mount to NEX adapter that I haven't tried yet and the Bower 8mm fisheye that is not as sharp as my old Rokinon A-mount.
The bag with all the lenses is really small (Lowpro Nova 170). I would need a bag much larger for my old gear.

So for a travel kit it's very convenient.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:11 AM   #18

Nice shots!

Wish I had that lens but I settled for the 55-200. Hope you got a good deal on it
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
You are correct about the AF speed of the NEX compared to a DSLR. With the new hybrid sensor that has phase detection AF built into the sensor and contrast AF tune fine tune the AF (as advertised) I was let down as I mentioned. I have since researched the lenses that work with the new hybrid AF and it appears that there are 5 lenses at the moment that are compatible with the new AF system. One of the lenses that is compatible is the 18-200 but it does not clarify if it is the new or old or both. I was shooting with the 18-200 new version but I'm not sure if that lens is compatible or not.
(EDIT) the SEL 18-200 I mention is compatible with the PDAF on the new NEX-5 and 6.

Thanks Robert.
These are my local stomping grounds and I frequently hike around here in an effort to try to stay in decent shape. It really is a beautiful place and I never get tired of the view especially at sunset. I can't get myself to come down here and NOT bring a camera. I'm hoping that the new NEX will perform well enough to replace my A55. I sure love the small size, it makes it so much easier to hike around the cliffs. With the new 16-50 kit lens it fits into my jacket pocket. No more camera strap, nice.

I still use a strap. I would hate like hell to drop it.... lol
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
Nice shots!

Wish I had that lens but I settled for the 55-200. Hope you got a good deal on it
It was on loan from a friend. But I will get that lens, it's about the only lens you really need with that camera.

The cost for this lens seems very expensive. Even the larger A-mount version is quite a bit cheaper.

Oh well.

Welcome to E-mount, now please bend over.