Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:36 AM   #21

I see you took the plunge with impressive results. I'm thinking of upgrading from my 5n to either the 5R or the 6. Problem is, I'm getting good results from my 5n.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:27 AM   #22

Yes Walter I finally did. I love the size of it. With the 16-50 PZ lens it fits in my jacket pocket.

As for your 5n, if its working I would suggest keeping it. Unless you feel you need the EVF, which does comes in handy on a bright day.

By the way, the NEX6 price has been lowered $100 at B&H.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
By the way, the NEX6 price has been lowered $100 at B&H.
Oh, you are just no help. Been looking at the NEX line too, the NEX6 looks good to me, the wife likes the NEX7. Want to bet who will win out on which one we end up getting? Then again if all the Canon users get NEX system, maybe I can pick up a Canon 5DIII real cheap.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I see you took the plunge with impressive results. I'm thinking of upgrading from my 5n to either the 5R or the 6. Problem is, I'm getting good results from my 5n.
How much difference is there between the 5N and 5R? - not much I think besides the ability to download apps? Why not keep the 5N for a second body and get the 6 - the LCD is not as flexible, but you get the EVF and all the other benefits of the 5R. I chose the 6 over the 5R for that reason.

There were some really good sales around Father's Day and I got a good one on a package with the Sony 16-50 and 55-210 e lenses with a bunch of extras including a Sony remote, Sony 32 GB class 10 SD card, 2 filters, extra battery, case, and a bunch of other extras (some of which I didn't really need), all at the price of the same camera lens only sale bundle from Sony directly. I added a Sony 30mm e macro lens and a couple of good but inexpensive third party manual adapters for Sony, Pentax, and T mount DSLR lenses, a Nex to Sony flash shoe adapter, updated the firmware, downloaded a couple of free Sony NEX apps, and shouldn't need anything else, so with all the other stuff I already have, I'm good to go for quite a while.
I didn't notice how old your post was - I am used to more active forums. I see from another (later) post that you already have the 6 - How do you it?

Last edited by penolta; Jul 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #25

Thats quite an acquisition of gear penolta. Sounds like you carefully planned your purchase and got the best deal for your money.Way to go!
I still currently use my A-mount gear, but, my NEX-6 is a good alternative camera for those times when you just want to go light.
I just went to my first [I]event[I]with my NEX-6. My son got married and although I was told by my wife that there was a hired photographer and I can just enjoy myself and not have to photograph the wedding, I took it upon myself to be the wedding rehearsal photographer. It gave me my first chance to use this camera in a semi-dynamic environment to see how it and I could handle it. My gear consisted of the NEX-6, the small 16-50, 18-200, 8mm fisheye and the 50 f/1.8. I also took a flash adapter and a few Sony flashes. The beautiful thing was everything fit into one little camera bag.
I didn't use the 18-200 but everything else got used at least once.

Although I am not capable of using this system to it's full potential my opinion of using this system is (as of now):

It's a very slow to focus camera in low light. When it goes to sleep it takes a really long time to wake up and find focus and because of that I missed quite a few shots. With the flash adapter, the HVL-20 as a trigger for off-camera flash the delay is very noticeable and definitely takes some user adjustment. It's quite a delay.

Focus peeking works great for static subjects but when your shooting in a moving environment you really need a good AF system and although I take some of the blame for missed focus shots, my A-mount gear would have performed much better. I like to use selective focus on my A-mount cameras but with the NEX-6 it requires that you press the function button every time to be able to change your focus point and that just takes too long.

The high ISO shots came out really nice (1600) and it's nice to shoot with that high ISO and not really worry about it.

For casual shooting It's great to take this small camera along but for a paid gig, no way would I be comfortable using this system. It's just not matured enough yet.

A sample: The Bride
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #26

The moms
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #27

The bridal party in action
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:16 PM   #28