Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:21 AM   #1

Default New to Nex

I just got a Nex 6, along with two kit lenses (16-50 and 55-210). I also plan to use some Nikon lenses, possibly with a focal length reducer. I have a bunch of questions, but top of my list are:

(1) What are good Raw converters for the Nex cameras? I have Lightroom, and I noticed that the Adobe lens profile for reducing distortion is not nearly as good as the in-camera JPGs.

(2) What other active Nex forums are out there?
Next Nurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Nurd View Post
(1) What are good Raw converters for the Nex cameras? I have Lightroom, and I noticed that the Adobe lens profile for reducing distortion is not nearly as good as the in-camera JPGs.
Yes, the camera's Lens Comp. features for CA and Distortion are not available when shooting RAW. And while you may not like the lens profiles that come with Lightroom, you can also create your own or download lens profiles created by others.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:52 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, there's a wealth of knowledge here for the asking.
Congratulations on your new NEX-6. It's also my newest camera and it surprisingly capable for such a small camera.
The distortion you mention is quite nasty from 16 to about 35mm. The in camera correction works quite well. I've noticed that the in camera processing crops the edges quite a bit. I process with Aperture which does not even offer any kind of lens correction so I just have to deal with the distortions for now if I choose to shoot raw.
The biggest problem I have with shooting jpegs to get the corrections is the lack of room that I have to work with. When shooting raw there seems to be a lot more room to work with in regards to pulling down the highlights and pulling up the shadows. I notice in Aperture at least, that the images seem to have a flat washed out look if I process the jpegs the same way I do raw files.
I also use Elements for some effects that require using layers but I never do my basic processing with it.
You may not be as happy with the lens correction in Lightroom as compared to the in camera corrections but I would gladly take any kind of lens correction compared to none like I have now if I choose to shoot raw.
Talknex.com has a lot of information available.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys. LR has a built-in profile for the 16-50 lens, and I found one user-created profile available for download, which seems to be slightly better than the built in one.

At certain distances (especially closer), the camera's built-in correction seems to be better.

I can live with it for now--just wondering whether there was an obvious or easy answer. The 16-50 has lots of distortion at the wide end.

Has anyone tried DXOmark software? Its claim to fame is supposed to be distortion correction.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:06 AM   #5

Distortion correction involves playing with the pixels in the corners, resulting in softer images where the image isn't very sharp to start with. Some processes attempt to compensate for that loss of sharpness by increasing the Acutance, which is the digital version of Unsharp Masking.

If all you'll ever do is display reduced resolution versions of your images online, then none of this matters. But if you want to make prints, you'll be disappointed with the results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:35 PM   #6

The 16-50 seems to have distortion in the center of the frame too. For me, the JPGs are just coming out better than the Adobe-adjusted RAWs. I've tried both the built in profile and the one I downloaded.