Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
One of the few real advantages that a 'Full Frame' sensor has over an 'APS-C' sensor is the more shallow depth of field it can provide.

So why is Sony, instead of releasing a time honored archetypical lens like a 24-70mm f/2.8, instead releasing a 24-70mm f/4.0 lens which doesn't capitalize on a strength of 'Full Frame' sensors? The same goes for their 70-200mm f/4.0 lens.

I don't get it.
Because f4 is lighter and costs less so it makes a much better kit lens. For example, I use Canon's 24-105L kit lens. I could have bought a 24-70 2.8 instead but I just don't NEED 2.8 in a kit lens. Now, I like what Canon did vs Sony in providing extra focal length at the long end. But, I understand completely not making the lens 2.8. It makes perfect sense to me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:05 AM   #32

But if you're after a more shallow depth of field, you'd get the same results with a NEX-7 and a 16-50/2.8 as you'd get with an A7 and a 24-70/4.0, you'd get it in a smaller, lighter package, and you'd pay half as much for it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:56 AM   #33

TCAV - shallow DOF is only one reason - increased dynamic range, high iso performance are other reasons. I can't speak to Sony, but another very important reason in my case was FOV for existing lenses. So, if I put a 70-200mm lens, having it actually be 70mm is a good thing to me.
I don't see selecting an ILC camera at the price range we're talking about as a point-and-shoot-always-use-1-lens solution. The beauty is - photographers will have an option. Those that think as you do - that benefits to full frame are way overstated can select the Nex solution. Those that think like I do that full frame does indeed offer benefits can get what they want. Everyone wins.

I get it - you would never choose full frame over APS-C. That's great.
Other people choose full frame. And, they are not ignorant when they do it.

No one is saying YOU need to buy a full frame camera. I'm not sure why it's so important to you to convince others that selecting full frame is the wrong decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:53 AM   #34

I understand. What I'm saying is that one of the few genuine benefits to having a 'Full Frame' sensor, a more shallow depth of field, is lost if you don't have large aperture lenses. And two of the mainstays of 'Full Frame' photography, the 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 lenses, aren't available for Sony's new 'Full Frame' cameras.

And the difference in Noise and Dynamic Range between the 24MP APS-C NEX-7 and, for instance, the 24MP 'Full Frame' Nikon D600 is just a little over a stop, so having to use an f/4.0 lens instead of an f/2.8 lens effectively negates those advantages too.

Selling a 'Full frame' interchangeable lens camera for $1,700 is certainly a nice achievement, but if it doesn't have appropriate lenses available, it loses some of it's allure. And if you have to add a $350 adapter to be able to use the lenses you need, the system costs more than the 24MP 'Full Frame' Nikon D600/D610, and is about the same size and weight.

If all you look at is the camera, this is great. But if you look at the system, it's not well thought out.

NEX was a kludge from the outset. This just compounds the kludge.

This isn't about ME. This isn't about YOU. This is about SONY, and Sony dropped the ball.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:14 PM   #35

I was very pleased with my KM5D and Tamron 17-50/2.8. When my KM5D died, I had an immediate need for an 85mm f/1.8, Sony didn't have anything like it (They still don't, btw.), so I switched to Nikon. I would like to get back to Sony someday, but when I see it doing stupid stuff it irks me.

This falls under that category.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:31 PM   #36

Default D800 & D800E DxoMark vs Sony A7r

jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote