Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Sony FE (full frame) lenses on NEX?

Hi folks,

I have a Sony NEX camera and I'm thinking about upgrading to alpha 7 in the future.

With that in mind I was wondering if it would be better to look into purchasing FE lenses for my camera so that I won't have to replace them later on.

At the moment I have 3 lenses for my NEX so the question would really be should I purchase a FE telephoto lens or plain old E mount ?

I'm thinking about something I've read recently that the camera is for Christmas, but the lens is for life

Thanks!
crotach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:16 PM   #2

Existing E-Mount lenses will fit on the A7 and A7R, but will project a smaller image onto their 'Full Frame' sensor. The cameras will recognize that the lenses are not 'Full Frame' lenses, and will capture a smaller image using only the center portion of the sensor. The 24MP A7 will capture only a 10MP image, and the 36MP A7R will capture only a 15MP image.

This is similar to what the 'Full Frame' Sony A900, A850 and A99 do when an 'APS-C only' DT lens is mounted on them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:26 AM   #3

Thanks TCav! I was more wondering about the other way around. If I get a full frame lens, will it work on my APS-C NEX?

I know it's overkill, but I'd rather spend the money on the lens once, and upgrade the body in the years to come, if you see what I mean.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:30 PM   #4

I just stumbled upon a recent test of the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z at SLRGear.com. They tested that lens on both a 'Full Frame' A7R and an APS-C NEX-7. That would seem to indicate that 'FE' lenses work on 'E' bodies.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:17 AM   #5

Great news, thanks TCav!