Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 AM   #1

Default Sony A7/A7r EVF and glasses

I am seriously considering downsizing to Sony since Nikon isn't. As I was playing with the display model in Best Buy, diopter was set correctly but the EVF kept shutting off and reverting to the LCD screen. I wear glasses, and it was as if the extra distance from my eye was causing problems with the sensor that activates the EVF. In addition to abruptly cutting off as composing a photo, initially coming on was an issue as had to move the camera viewfinder around on my glasses for optimal positioning recognizing that was at my eye.

Is there an EVF sensitivity adjustment somewhere? A known problem? Sample flaw of the display unit?
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:04 PM   #2

Were your glasses heavily tinted, or polarized sunglasses? If the eye sensor can detect your eye, it should enable the eyelevel finder, but sunglasses, especially polarized or heavily tinted ones can give any brand model EVF fits. That's exactly why I purchased prescription non-polarized sunglasses last year.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:14 PM   #3

I think it may have been bad stock as a display item in Best Buy. We have a Sony Store in a local mall and I went by it. No problem with their a7, a7r, or a7s display (except for my drooling). Stopped by the same Best Buy on the way home and had the same issue re-occur.

Yes, my glasses are clear as I keep the sunglasses in the car. I have both dark tinted for bike riding, and created polarizing with clip-ons of my prior Rx glasses when I recently got new glasses. Polarizing are never good for photography...even with optical viewfinder.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote