Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha NEX

Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:53 AM   #1

Default Just bought a Sony A6000 - Impressed...

Nothing more to say other than...

I just bought one of these little beauties today. I had been reading so many good things about mirrorless cameras over the past few years, and especially the Sony's,, that I had to at least try one out. I could only get the kit with the 16-50mm lens but it'll do for now. These things are selling very well here...

I've enjoyed the Nikon D600 for the past 3 years and even though I got the shutter system replaced in accordance with the Nikon service bulletin that came out last year, it has performed basically very well since, BUT, it is a bigg'ish heavy'ish camera to carry around all the time and the FujiFilm FX660 I also have is handy but not quite up to the higher order tasks demanded of real outdoor enthusiast photography, so I decide to convert my money into a Sony A6000. A leap of total faith, which I think will pay off...

Once the battery was charged up I put it in place, fired up the 6000, set the time/date and a few other minor settings and even though it was 9:30pm, I pointed it at my lovely cat on my pillow and just clicked off its first shot with the mode wheel on "A", and no other settings. I was surprised at the impressive result that I sent over to the PC. Very nice for a no frills, no setup first photo under artificial lighting. I snapped a few more shots of other things in this room, which also came out just as nice and then turned it off... I have tomorrow off. Now what can I possibly do to fill in the day - Hahahahaha..!!!

Can't wait...

That's all folks - very impressed...

Al
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Hows the camera working out?
Got any pics to share?
Price-wise Its tough to beat the a6000. Great little camera.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:03 PM   #3

Hi lomitamike, (sorry for delay)...

I've not had a lot of time on my hands to take a good variety of pics but the more I use it, the more it impresses me. The first couple of days after I bought it, the weather here was not good photography weather at all,, real photography skills testing type weather - very cloudy, overcast or outright raining (a test that I'd fail miserably too), so my first pics were taken under these poor conditions, you know, the obligatory cat and flowers/trees in the front yard etc,, understandably very non flattering type photos. Even when the sun popped its head out for a few minutes, the lighting was just all wrong no matter where you tried.. Then over the weekend just gone, I had to attend a sporting function outdoors and it was bright deep blue sky and the pics were very good. OK, I can't admit that they were right up there with my other much more expensive Nikon DSLR, but at a quarter of the price, it sure gave it a nasty sting in the butt, even with the standard 16-50mm kit lens. I've been reading how lots of people think the 16-50mm is a very average (or less) lens - good only for "kit" sales,, well I found it has potential, so much so that just yesterday I bought the other kit lens - the 55-210mm, to compliment a fuller focal range. Now there's a lens I also like. I'll have to give that one a good tryout too in due course, but the few pics I took on the way home with it, and I mean just snapped out of the car window, a couple on the move too, came out quite good. I can't wait to give this one a good burst. I was going to do so today by getting in the wagon and going out to the beach (blue sky, fine weather etc) but a flooded bathroom has put paid to that idea. People need to turn the cold water tap OFF and NOT walk away when filling the hand basin. Now I have to clean it all up - hahahahaha. Isn't life full of fun...???

The concept is really different isn't it,, a small camera being able to interchange lenses..?? I think it's going to take me a bit of getting used to, just for the small physical size - hahaha. It feels strange after hanging on to a full size DSLR and lens that almost requires a crane to lug around with you all day... If the A6000 can give such likable results early on in the piece though, I will being using it a darn sight more and the Nikon may just find itself semi retired...!!! Well, at least for a while...!!!

I'll eventually get around to re-sizing a few shot and posting them, ah, some time soon...

Al
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:25 PM   #4

Just added a Metz 44AF-1 flash the other day... B-I-G flash for a little camera.. Plenty of power,, on 1/1 - far too much but on the lesser settings it seems to work quite well, especially when you change aperture size a little. It feels a bit plasticky, very light which is a good thing I suppose but it does a good job. Adjustments via the rear button panel are clean and easy,, and the price is very attractive. I thought it was going to cost a lot more as I worked into the store so I never actually spoke about it and when the guy behind the counter picked it up and said the price, it caught my attention straight away. At the time I was looking at a couple of the Sony flashes - HVL43 & 60 which were both costlier... 1 + 1 always equals 2, so I bought the 44AF-1. Glad I did...

Homegrown scores never really impressed me but if I had to score it at this early stage, I'd give it at least 6 out of 10, but then again, I know very little about flashes, and even less about how to effectively use them, so take than with a grain of salt...

Al