Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

Hello. I have been researching options for some time to upgrade from my beloved F828 and still have yet to settle on anything. I was leaning heavily towards going digital SLR for its speed and image quality but have a hard time giving up the great features of the F828: Articulating body, 28-200mm Zeiss lens, live preview, movie mode and that awesome focusing grid. BUT...My big quibble has always been the shutter lag that always seem to make me miss the picture, especially in lower light situations.

For the most part, I am taking pictures of my kids indoors and they are always in motion so I need a camera that focuses fast and snaps quickly. Most times, the F828 focuses reasonably quick but those fractions of a second seem to make all the difference.

I really like the R1 on paper but is has its pros (Image quality, lens, articulating screen with live preview (although bigger would be better!), manual zoom ring/focus) and its cons (HEAVY, slow to focus especially in low light, and somewhat awkward design/layout, no movie mode). In contrast, the new Alpha looks nice but all the reviews/sample images I have seen indicate somewhat high noise levels and I would have to get multiple lenses to get the range of the F828 (and lose a stop in aperature)

So I am wondering if you guys think Sony might be planning an update to the R1...Maybe it will address some of my concerns. Or do you think that now that Sony is in the DSLR business that it will focus it efforts there?

Thanks.
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2
Administrator

The R1 update is called the Alpha 100 digital SLR. Sony, like Canon and Nikon will no longer make prosumer cameras now that they have their dSLRs, sorry.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:31 AM   #3

I do not agree.

A while back, before the introduction of the R-1 ( which I happily own and use daily ),

an interview with a Sony V.P. revealed his position that ( to paraphrase )

'they will always want a top quality Prosumer in thier line-up...' .

Now that was awhile ago, but I believe from a business standpoint, Sony has

the same position today.

We have one more year on their replacement timetable to see if they

will update the R-1.

Personally, I am waiting for the Zeiss lens for the A100 which should equal

the R-1's mm range. That may be better than any R-1 replacement for my purposes.

We will see.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:07 PM   #4

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. Dslr offer more flexibility at a similiar price (at least to enter the DSLR world). I think the H series will end up being the top end of the P&S line.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:42 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. Dslr offer more flexibility at a similiar price (at least to enter the DSLR world). I think the H series will end up being the top end of the P&S line.

DPReview excerpt on R-1:

"Then I started to put together the price comparison table (page 20) and I soon realized just what you're getting. At $1000 you simply can't get close to the coverage and quality of that lens".

Interesting indeed.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:51 AM   #6

Yes, and it also has been stated that 'the lens is worth the price of the DSC-R1 alone'.
Razor06 is offline   Reply With Quote