Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 31, 2003, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Sony P52 - Viewing images not taken on camera.

Just a few days into owning this camera which gets a big thumbs up so far.

Bought a Belkin card reader today as much as anything so I could take the images onto our PC, edit them and add others from different sources then load back to the stick again.

Had great difficulty getting the camera to show these images that came from various other sources despite them showing on the card reader in My Computer.

By luck found these extra images would only show on the camera if their file names were changed from "My Car" (for example) to a number in the range the camera uses when it takes the images...say something like DSC-00099.

Would you expect this because it is a pain.

I need to do this so I can use the camera to create an on-TV slide show of images from several sources when we visit relatives.

Thanks,

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2003, 6:35 AM   #2

Hello David.
I found similar problems with my new DSC-p72! It even wouldn't recognise pictures taken with the camera, that were copied to the computer and back. Without changing names, or whatsoever! Over the USB, no cardreader. Windows Explorer said the picture was there, but the camera can't see it.......
Does anyone have the answer??
Thanks,
Eric
Hectic Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:24 AM   #3

HE,

I might have the answer to your problem as this happened to me for the first few times I tried coping back.

Are you sure you are copying back files to *exactly* the same folder on the stick as it uses for images produced on the camera.

At first I made a "My photos" folder on the PC and copied it to the stick alongside the existing folder. No images found by the camera!

In the end I found the images had to be copied into the existing stick folder without any sub-folder of my own...and then, as my first post says, numbered as per the camera's own file names.

Bear in mind I'm using a card reader/writer...does that make a difference??

Anyway since I put up that post I've quickly got used to the method and can do it without problems......still wonder if there is an easier way though.

The ability to sort a group of photos on the PC and fire them back to the camera is fantastic when coupled with the AV out facility. The good lady has just gone to visit her folks who haven't been to see us for a year due to infirmity. I've made up a set of 23 stills plus a 30sec low-res mpeg, loaded them to the stick and she'll play the images to them on their TV. The still images are so clear on the TV (taken at 1.2MP) plus you can pan and zoom to show great detail.

Love the fact that 30sec of low-res mpeg only takes the same memory as one 1.2MP still. For the kids etc even a blurry movie with sound conveys a lot about a situation/occasion.

Any other foibles you've found? What about the software issues raised in my other post?

David
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:27 AM   #4

David.
Thanks for your reply. What you describe is just what I had in mind to do! But, this weekend I found out what caused the problem: by coincidence, all the pictures I tried to put back to the camera, were pictures I had rotated with Irfanview! Apparently this changes the picture in a way that the camera cannot cope with.... Funny thing is, that the camera still reads the data for shutter, and so on, but cannot read the picture. Maybe I should rotate the pictures with the camera, and use the sony software to transfer the pictures to the computer. And not use the Microsoft explorer. I'll have to try.. Renaming doesn't cause any problems, as long as I rename the picture back to a dsc-number on the camera.
What software do you use to organise your precious pictures?? Do you have to rotate your pictures after transfer to the computer??
eric
Hectic Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:05 AM   #5

Eric,

As it happens I haven't had to rotate an image yet so not tested that circumstance. However I have loaded photos back to the camera which others have mailed to me, even one that was two images from the Interent added together in Adobe.

The above images had been heavily edited and as long as they are fired onto the camera as JPEGs with a dsc no. they seem to be fine.

On the advice of folks here I have upgraded to the ACDSee5 viewer 45 day trial and like it enough to get it when the trial expires.

For "filing" purposes I will make up my own folder system and rename the images into subject/date groups. Backups will be on Zip disks.

For editing I have various programs but now I've set ArcSoft Photostudio 2000 as my default editor because it is easy to use for the (limited?) things I need to do.

Just saved up and going out to get my first "extra" memory stick today!

David