Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:32 AM   #1

Hello All,

R-1, drizzly afternoon in New York City:

http://www.nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1912125

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

I have noticed that you post many beautiful pics that you make with your R1. I ordered mine today. Can't wait for it to get here. Thanks for all you advice. Could you tell me if there is a program that would make a good tutorial for the R1? I know much will depend on my taking as many pictures as I can and learning from that. But I thought you might be an excellent one to ask.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:36 PM   #3

Good Luck and Happy shooting with your R-1.

There are many free photography lessons on the web. Run various

searches on Google, and don't pay for any of them.

If I may out line my own 'Lesson' on using the R-1:

Notice:

*****( All of the following assumes you will not be going on a trip/special occasion with your R-1 during the next month. If you are, shoot fully on automatic at all focal lenghtsfor such events, this will be the ''safest' thing to do until you learn your camera and increase your knowledge of photography, IMHO.)*****

1) Buy a B&W UV filter, 67mm, and put it on your camera, period.

2)Shoot your great Zeiss lens ONLY at 50mm ( 35 mm equiv ) for an entire month. This will teach you photography's most important lesson: COMPOSITION.

3) Shoot only on Aperture priority or Shutter priority for the same month as in #1. This will teach you how to control the particular amount of light hitting your sensor, and controllingthe amount of time the sensor is exposed to light. This is your 'Light Paint Bucket'. You capture images by painting them with light. This will teach you how to handle the paint bucket and the brush. I am stressing controlling the light as it hits your sensor at this point, not the 'Quality' of it.

During this time you will note your exposures, mm, etc. ( much easier than EXIF info on an image by image basis ) via pen & paper. Do not erase images in camera. ReviewALL your images, with your notes in hand,on your CRT/LCD and observe the effects your settings have on your images.

Do this for a month and you will be in good position to move wisely forward in the fantastic endeavor known as photography.

One last thing, The Image is a Means to an End, not an End in itself.

Share your vision with others throughyour images. The world needs it.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:44 PM   #4

Thanks for all the advice. I will do the things you suggested. I ordered the filter today too and will put it on when I get the camera. I feel I have so much to learn. But I am looking forward to that learning process.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:48 PM   #5

Glad to hear that.

Please keep us updated on your progress andpost some of your R-1 pics.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:31 PM   #6

Thanks for you help. My camera is supposed to be here on Tuesday. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the road. I feel like I can come here and ask away. I really have so much to learn.