Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:35 PM   #11

normc wrote:
Quote:
I have had the 707, 717 and still have a W-1 and W-7. They are excellent cameras, BUT the R-1 is in a class by itself. Sure it is heavy. I even added to this by purchasing the two add on lenses. Another point. What we all like to do, is have our hands fall into place for operating the buttons on the camera. There is a bit of learning with the R-1 but it has this quality.
Having a devil of a job finding a good fit NOT too big case to carry my R1 any one got the perfect nice case or bag . Rodo
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:59 PM   #12

This is a hard one for me to amswer. I am 75 and disabled and in the woods I often use a hiking stick or I end up falling.To carry the camera and the two lenses on a long walk plus whatever else, tripods and ect. is just way more than I can handle. This stuff is heavy to say the very least. So for now I have a soft case that is just big enough for the camera and could hold other items like filters and so on. Then I have another case for the lenses and ect. Both cases are ones that I just happened to have and I really do not know if they are brand names. They either came from Wal-Mart or a garage sale. I put a nice fancy strap on the camera case. It is about 3" wide and very colorful. My idea of a fashion statement??? I often leave some of this stuff in the car and just take the camera. The 24mm to 120mm zoom is outstanding. This along with the provision for two memory cards and the long battery life is just about perfect in my opinion. The 18mm add on lens is great but it adds considerable weight, will not zoom and with the adapter takes time to put on and remove. The same is true for the Telephoto lens. But I enjoy these lenses and am glad that I have them. So you might say my solution is to have two cases. In the future I might spend the $$$$ and go for the leather case. My "pocket" camera is a Sony w-7 and the tiny slave flash. This flash could be used with the R-1. Hope this helps....good luck!
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:29 PM   #13

Does the R 1 have image stabilization?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:52 PM   #14

No it does not and I am a big fan of I. S. I feel that the waist level shooting and weight will help to steady the camera. For myself I have ordered a folding LCD hood.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:03 PM   #15

I might add that this is one of the few if not the only camera that has an ISO button. You can easily change the ISO to adjust shutter speed. As to if this is as good as I.S. might be a matter of opinion?