Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

It's been 5 years since I've seriously searched for a new camera to replace my Sony F707. It's time to move up in the digital world, but where? SO much to readand take in,I'm on overload. As I'm reading this forum I realize your input would be greatly appreciated.

Photography is a passion that I've done since the black and white darkroom days, and got hooked on the amazing possibilities and realities of digital. I know I want minimum 8MP, pref 10, but high optical zoom over digital.

What about DSC-R!? Steve's review is great, the features look terrific, 10MP, 5X. But it's a year old. Still okay? Or is there better?H5 looks cool in many ways, but I don't know anyone who has used it. Carl Zeiss is always a beautiful name, high pixels, great optical, but so tiny compared to by 707. DSLR-A100? Looks like it could become very costly with the SLR accessories.

Your input and direction would be greatly appreciated! :-)
ccsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:30 AM   #2

The H series is some of the best cameras ever released by Sony.

Excellent out of camera, crisp shots, beautiful colors and excellent bokeh..

Try reading the H1 paper at http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/

AA Katz is a professional photographer who also uses the H1 and now the H5 to compliment his Nikon D200, and has shot tens of thousands of pics with the H series.

He hangs out at the Sony Talk Forums over at Dpreview.

The R1 is also an awesome camera if you don't need the H series zoom, the lens is stunning , the equal of dslr glass costing a $1000+

Just ask anyone who has actually used it.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:02 AM   #3

If you can live with the 24-120mm range of the lens, the R1 is by far the best non-dSLR out there. Image quality rivals the best of the dSLR big boys and easily beats any consumer dSLR lens.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:53 AM   #4

Thank you and thank you. I'm glad I'm in the right direction. You've described the pluses I've seen in both. H5, awesome zoom, great everwhere else too. R1, terrific too, dSLR quality lens, but 24-120 zoom.

Anyone have the R1??
ccsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:23 PM   #5

I do, and I love it. For me the wide angle (24mm) is MUCH more important than a long zoom. I use the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8 as my standard lens on my FF dSLR. So you can see why I went with the R1 - it suits my shooting style.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:21 AM   #6

For me, it was a matter of budget. I purchased the H-5 and feel that it is an excellent camera, allbeit somewhat large.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:41 AM   #7

I have the H5. It's one of the less expensive models with its capabilties, as compared to some of the other brands (ie. Nikon). It's not INexpensive, by any means - I gave nearly 300$ for mine, but it was well worth it.

I get excellent hi-res photographs as much as 8x10 in size (haven't tried anything bigger yet), and the features are great. I especially love the large display the camera sports, because my eyes are lazy. LOL

The only thing I have to fuss about with the H5 is the battery life, which is minimal. I can get only about 175-200 images with my H5 on one set of fully charged batteries, and this is with the quality slightly minimized. I'm searching now for ways to increase battery life with the camera without reducing the quality of the images....

Other than that, I absolutely love this camera!! Best non-SLRdigital I've owned so far!
stormyblueyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:07 PM   #8

:-)I have used a 707 for over five years and I recently bought the H-5. I am retaining the 707 for its infrared capabilities: it will last forever!!

The H-5 is fabulous. I have no problems with battery life: is use 2500 mAH rechargeables and have only once had to change during the day (in my little camera case I keep 4 pairs of charged batteries).

To compare quality of 707 and H-5, look at my photos at http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan. The photos of New Hampsire were taken October 7-14 with my H-5.

Glenn:G
gsrunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:36 AM   #9

I have had the 707, 717 and still have a W-1 and W-7. They are excellent cameras, BUT the R-1 is in a class by itself. Sure it is heavy. I even added to this by purchasing the two add on lenses. Another point. What we all like to do, is have our hands fall into place for operating the buttons on the camera. There is a bit of learning with the R-1 but it has this quality.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:33 PM   #10

normc wrote:
Quote:
I have had the 707, 717 and still have a W-1 and W-7. They are excellent cameras, BUT the R-1 is in a class by itself. Sure it is heavy. I even added to this by purchasing the two add on lenses. Another point. What we all like to do, is have our hands fall into place for operating the buttons on the camera. There is a bit of learning with the R-1 but it has this quality.
What bag /case do you use for your R1 please rodo.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote