Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

Hello, All:* *I was all set to buy my first DSLR, when (in a large part based on the comments of this forum and Nick's impressive photos) at the last minute I decided to go with the Sony R-1.* My main interests lie in portraits and landscapes.* My reasons for this* purchase was price and image quality, especially at 24 mm.* *Every review I read commented on the low distortion of the wide end of the Zeiss* lense.**I live in Texas, so I need a WIDE lense to capture our big skies.* After adding up the cost of equal lenses for a DSLR, it seemed a no-brainer.**I've only had the camera one day, so I may be jumping the gun, but my camera seems to show a lot of distortion at the wide end.* Considerably more then the 1 - 2% mentioned in online reviews.* I am very concerned that the lense might be defective;* since I bought the camera used on ebay, time is of essence if I have any hope of getting a refund.In stark contrast to the reviews, my wide end architecture pics seem to be badly distorted, but I am fairly new to digital imaging, so it's entirely possible that I am interpreting this incorrectly.**Please take a look at this quick shot I did of an old barn outside the office where I am working today.* It looks like the barn is about to fall down;* which I assure you it is not.* The walls are straight and true in rl.* (I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the shot;* but Sunday or not I am at work and my scenic choices are limited.* If the expert eagle eyes out there need another or better shot to give me an opinion,* just let me know. ) *Thanks in advance for the your help. Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

Hello RiaRia,

Good Luck on shooting with your R-1.

You will be very happy. Now that Photokina is just about over, with no ground breaking cameras at my price range, I decided to finally get a second R-1 ( trading in my old DSLR stuff ). I will be photographically set for a long time.

Regarding your question on distortion:

At the wide end there is little distortion IF,... IF you make sure the

plane of your sensor is parrallel to your subject.

In your image one can see that your camera was tilted upward a bit, which will

create distortion. I use a tripod with a bubble level, and if your subject has straight lines your captured images should be acceptable, as long as your sensor is

squarely ponted at your subject.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:36 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the quick reply, Nick!* Whew - I am so relieved that my new baby isn't sick, (just me!)* *I was nervous buying a used camera on ebay, so seems I was a tad overanxious.* All I have really ever done much is portraits ...* and not much of that in the past few years.* *I don't have a camera level here with me, but I do have one at home in my Pentax 645 case. The barn floor is sloped toward the middle for drainage, but I will try the same shot again, with a level, before I call 911.**Have a happy Sunday, and thanks again!* Ria
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:48 PM   #4

Hi RiaRia,

Here is another trick when I am shooting hand held:

Set your viewfinder to the 'Grid Line' ON - Page 2 of setup menu.

Now try the same image but try to align some verical lines with your vertical grid and some horizontal with the horizontal grid lines. The linesdon't have to be matched precisely with your subject's lines but just evenly spaced from your subject's lines from top to bottom and side to side. This will help you a great deal. Try it and post the results.

Catch you later, Nicholas
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:51 PM   #5

Hi, Nick and forum:Took me a few days to get back to the barn and retry the shot as per Nick's advice.* I don't have a tripod level, but I did use the in-camera grid lines.* The results aren't perfect but they are much, much improved!* *As a new "empty nester," I have only recently dusted off my camera bag and rusty skills after many years ... it's amazing both how much I still remember, and as equally surprising how much I have forgotten.* In some ways, it's almost like starting over.* So, the forums' advice is very much appreciated!* *Ria
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:06 PM   #6

Now that is an R-1 shot, and no other camera can beat this image at this price point, IMHO

Looking at the scene I am now 'looking around the barn' rather than getting caught on the distortion of the first image.

Lately I have kept my grid lines on all the time. It makes my composition much easier and accurate.

Sometimes when I am tiring my camera always slants down on the right side. Once I shot late in the day and every imageopened on my LCD was slanted on the right.

The grid lines help a great deal and not only with straight lines.

On this recent shoot I used the lower horizontal line to guide me along the horizontal edge of the stage:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1948826

Regards, Nicholas