Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:06 AM   #1

Recently I purchased a SONY H1 after much researching the internet and camera shop recommendations. I chose this camera in preference to the latest model H2 as it has a 2.5" LCD screen and the H2 has regressed to a 2" LCD.
6 weeks later and 4 weeks into an overseas trip it broke down and would not power up. I took it to a local Sony Centre and they checked it and confirmed that it needed to be looked at by a technician. Obviously I could not do that while overseas and so had to purchase another camera to complete my trip.
Apart from that I am extremely pleased with the quality of the photos it took before the breakdown.
My first SONY purchase and it broke down after 6 weeks and has NOT been dropped or bumped.
Has anyone ever had a similar misfortune regardless of brand name?
John:sad:
jparnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:06 AM   #2

The last year of so of releases from both Sony and Canon (h2/h5, S3 etc) all seem to have a higher than normal complaint level.

Metering problems, focusing problems, battery problems, swivel screens that don't click back into position etc

Seems these cameras don't have the quality assurance normal to both these companies in the past.

Still once you get a good copy they work fine.

Some people reportedly havealready passed 20k shots on the H5 !

The H1 however is a tried and tested camera with very few faults, you just lucked out badly.

Hopefully once repaired it will perform as we all knows it can, excellently !

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:20 PM   #3

I agree with Sintares. You just happened to pickup a lemon.

I bought mine this past June. So far so good. Knock on wood. No problems. Pictures have turned out great so far. No complaints. Then again I've only shot less than 200 shots so far. Will be taking a trip to HK/China in about two weeks where I'll be shooting a lot. So we'll see how it goes.

What camera did you end up with "jparanoid"? And how has that been going? How many shots have you taken so far with that new camera?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:18 AM   #4

The camera I bought to enable us to photograph the remainder of the trip was a PENTAX OPTIO E10 and althought it is 6Mp (one more than the Sony H1) my wife and I reckon the photos are not as good as those taken with the H1. We are very happy with the photos taken with the H1 before it 'died'.
We have now had the H1 fixed under warranty and were told that they replaced just about everything except the flash unit. They replaced the PCB (I think) but it still had a problem so they replaced the entire lense assembly - wow eh? Hopefully we will not have any problems now. I think that if we do have further problems I will get rid of it.
I noticed that when setting the camera for 5mp resolution that cropping occurs when printing to 6" X 4" prints which has caused some problems with printing the photos (cutting off heads etc). I ended up manually cropping such photos to remove more foreground to ensure that important parts at the top are not cropped.
I used PAINT SHOP PRO v9 as I tried a trialware copy of PHOTOSHOP CS and found it difficult to use even though it is reputed to be the best. PAINT SHOP PRO v9 has a great option named ONE STEP PHOTO FIX which automatically adjusts the brightness and contrast to correct levels. It will even brighten underexposed regions of a photo without changing the levels of the correctly exposed parts of the photo (eg photo taken of people sitting inside a train without flash with scenery in the window (correctly exposed) with just one mouse click.
Thanks everyone for your postings. And I hope your trip goes well DARKDTSHD. My wife and I just spent 6 days in Hong Kong (take empty bags so that you can spend up - it is a shoppers dream) so if you want any of our experiences let me know (maybe we should take that offline so let me know how we can send private messages)
John
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #5

jparnold wrote:
Quote:
The camera I bought to enable us to photograph the remainder of the trip was a PENTAX OPTIO E10 and althought it is 6Mp (one more than the Sony H1) my wife and I reckon the photos are not as good as those taken with the H1. We are very happy with the photos taken with the H1 before it 'died'.
We have now had the H1 fixed under warranty and were told that they replaced just about everything except the flash unit. They replaced the PCB (I think) but it still had a problem so they replaced the entire lense assembly - wow eh? Hopefully we will not have any problems now. I think that if we do have further problems I will get rid of it.
I noticed that when setting the camera for 5mp resolution that cropping occurs when printing to 6" X 4" prints which has caused some problems with printing the photos (cutting off heads etc). I ended up manually cropping such photos to remove more foreground to ensure that important parts at the top are not cropped.
I used PAINT SHOP PRO v9 as I tried a trialware copy of PHOTOSHOP CS and found it difficult to use even though it is reputed to be the best. PAINT SHOP PRO v9 has a great option named ONE STEP PHOTO FIX which automatically adjusts the brightness and contrast to correct levels. It will even brighten underexposed regions of a photo without changing the levels of the correctly exposed parts of the photo (eg photo taken of people sitting inside a train without flash with scenery in the window (correctly exposed) with just one mouse click.
Thanks everyone for your postings. And I hope your trip goes well DARKDTSHD. My wife and I just spent 6 days in Hong Kong (take empty bags so that you can spend up - it is a shoppers dream) so if you want any of our experiences let me know (maybe we should take that offline so let me know how we can send private messages)
John
Hello John,

Like you were with your H1 I've been very happy with my H1. Colors were nice and vibrant without being overly so (at "normal" settings). And most pics had good detail. Keeping in mind this is a fixed lens of "questionable quality". Meaning some say it's a Carl Zeiss lens other's not. I mean it doesn't say so on the front like the H2/H5. And that the lens elements aren't the best. Are compact/retractable design. After all how much did we pay for this camera? Heh! Most DSLR lenses cost more than the H1! So for the money I'm happy with the performance of our H1.

As for Adobe CS. It is considered the "standard" or "the best" for post-production work. But it is far from being "user-friendly". And not for a casual or novice user. Try something like Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0. Has a good portion of the functionality of the CS2 and is more easy to use. I'd say a step up from Apple's iPhoto '06. Which is even more user-friendly but must be bought with iLife '06...and is an Apple OS product.

I personally am considering either an Apple iMac 24" or a MacBook Pro laptop. Most likely the laptop. I love the thought and intelligence behind the design of the Mac OS and iLife '06 suite. Perfect for our digital lifestyle. Simple and well thought out. So I will initially be using iPhoto for my photo PP work. Right now I'm using Picasa 2 (FREE) on my PC. Maybe you should give it a try. Also very easy to use and performs most of the things I need done at this point.

As for talking about HK...sure any time. You can PM (private message) me. Or I can give you my e-mail. I've been to HK 13x in my life. But the last time I went was over 15 years ago. And a lot has changed since. This will be my 14th time. Looking forwards to it. And I will be taking two side trips to China. Probably Quanzhou and Shanghai. Will visit the small towns in the surrounding areas of those two cities too.

Thanks for the offer!

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:53 PM   #6

Hi DarkDTSHD
Just sent you a private message but something strange happned when I clicked on SEND so don't know it you would have got it. Let me know.
John