Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:17 AM   #11

kenbalbari wrote:Yes thanks but the R1 is best for me i think untill the DSLR cameras evolve after thinking long and hard, Dont like slapping noisy mirrors no live preview ,dust, lens buyers fever, lenses to lug around ,and new much the sameDSLRmodels tempting me every new year ,I amsure the R1 is a long time keeper for me and othersuntill betterDSLR solutions are possible , just my point of view of course ,:|
Quote:
I think that's a good buy for what it does. But I don't think you have to pay that much more to match or beat it either, if you would prefer a DSLR.

The following two lenses (Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC Macro & 70-300 4-5.6 APO) are currently available form sigma4less.com for a total cost of about $536 US shipped (varies a bit depending on mount--and I'm not sure about prices outside the US):

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/349/cat/31
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/230/cat/31

That covers the 17-300 range, or with a 1.5 crop factor DSLR, 25.5mm-450mm.

That glass is equal to the R1, IMHO, and you give up very little on the wide end, and have alot more zoom, macro capability, and a bit better high ISO performance.

You are going to be a bit over $1000, and if you want in body IS (to match the R1) probably near $1100 US if you choose a K100D. So it would be several hundered dollars (or pounds) more, but there are benfits as well.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:55 AM   #12

The Sony R1 and a dSLR are not mutually exclusive. Just the opposite, I feel the R1 is a great complement to a dSLR.

As for the Sigma lenses mentioned above, they cannot hold a candle to the R1 lens. In fact there are very few lenses out there (at any price) that are as good as or better than the R1 lens.

Buy an R1 now while you can, and later, if you feel you need a dSLR, get one also.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:50 PM   #13
Administrator

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
As for the Sigma lenses mentioned above, they cannot hold a candle to the R1 lens. In fact there are very few lenses out there (at any price) that are as good as or better than the R1 lens.
Yes, you can't even get a lens for any of the entry level DSLR models (using APS-C size sensors) that even match it's angle of view range yet, much less it's quality.

A DSLR solution for an APS-C size sensor with a high quality lens with the same range you'd have with the lens on the Sony DSC-R1 would be nice to have, though.

Sony has one on the way for the DSLR-A100 (and it would also work on KM DSLR models), giving you the same angle of view you'd have with the lens on the DSC-R1 (same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5

But, the lens on the DSC-R1 was designed without the constraints of a lens mount system. So, it's unlikely that the new Carl Zeiss lens will be able to fully match it's performance. It should be a nice lens, though. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of it (since I'm currently shooting with a KM DSLR).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:03 AM   #14

JimC wrote:No R 1jim but you like yourkm dslrok,And in your pocket you carry anouther Konica Minolta Jim ? Your old but great Pocket Rocket 510 or have you changed it only wonderd mine expired again so its gone, off subject i know sorry but here because ive got a R1 , what to keep in my pocket to go withthe R 1now mykm500has gone ?
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you can't even get a lens for any of the entry level DSLR models (using APS-C size sensors) that even match it's angle of view range yet, much less it's quality.

A DSLR solution for an APS-C size sensor with a high quality lens with the same range you'd have with the lens on the Sony DSC-R1 would be nice to have, though.

Sony has one on the way for the DSLR-A100 (and it would also work on KM DSLR models), giving you the same angle of view you'd have with the lens on the DSC-R1 (same angle of view you'd have using a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5

But, the lens on the DSC-R1 was designed without the constraints of a lens mount system. So, it's unlikely that the new Carl Zeiss lens will be able to fully match it's performance. It should be a nice lens, though. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of it (since I'm currently shooting with a KM DSLR).

Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:37 AM   #15
Administrator

Yes, I still carry my little KD-510z with me. It doesn't get used a lot anymore, as I tend to use my KM 5D more now. But, I wouldn't want to be without it. Sometimes, I don't want to lug a larger DSLR around, and a pocket camera is nice to have.

As you know, I'm quite fond of my KD-510z. It's White Balance, metering and image processing algorithms are all top notch. By current standards, it's got more noise than some as ISO speeds are increased, it's not as fast as some, etc. But, I'm in no hurry to buy a different subcompact model. I'm quite fond of my KD-510z. If I had to replace it, I'd be more likely to try and find another one on the used market versus going with a different camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:25 PM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I still carry my little KD-510z with me. It doesn't get used a lot anymore, as I tend to use my KM 5D more now. But, I wouldn't want to be without it. Sometimes, I don't want to lug a larger DSLR around, and a pocket camera is nice to have.

As you know, I'm quite fond of my KD-510z. It's White Balance, metering and image processing algorithms are all top notch. By current standards, it's got more noise than some as ISO speeds are increased, it's not as fast as some, etc. But, I'm in no hurry to buy a different subcompact model. I'm quite fond of my KD-510z. If I had to replace it, I'd be more likely to try and find another one on the used market versus going with a different camera.

Thanks jim , let us all know if you choose anouther pocket rocket later on, Im sure those who read your many posts would be looking at your choice me included, My k/m baby died but it was a refurb im pretty sure and so they are no more great photos from those models though sad they have gone.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 5:26 PM   #17

I am one person who decided to leave the SLR jungle with a heavy weight bag of lenses and have found real release and more creative joy by using a Sony H-5 and an R-1. That change has made photography fun again.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:49 AM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I am one person who decided to leave the SLR jungle with a heavy weight bag of lenses and have found real release and more creative joy by using a Sony H-5 and an R-1. That change has made photography fun again.

MT
How do you think your H5 compares with my Panasonic FZ 20 any reason to change it to the Sony H5 ?Ive allways liked the FZ 20 even better than the FZ 30/50 .Also im having trouble finding a small as possible case / bag for my R1 just the camera not the flash/ lens cover ect any idea ? thanks Rodo.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:34 PM   #19

rodo wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT
How do you think your H5 compares with my Panasonic FZ 20 any reason to change it to the Sony H5 ?Ive allways liked the FZ 20 even better than the FZ 30/50 .Also im having trouble finding a small as possible case / bag for my R1 just the camera not the flash/ lens cover ect any idea ? thanks Rodo.
Any one have an R1 and can give me a helping hand onideas on a bag / case for the R1 please, Still not a lot of info on the perfect case can i find , Its just now i have some time to take it out but need a Bag for the camera not too big just for the camera alone thanks ,Rodo uk.:O
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:14 AM   #20

rodo wrote:
Quote:
rodo wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT
Any one have an R1 and can give me a helping hand onideas on a bag / case for the R1 please, Still not a lot of info on the perfect case can i find , Its just now i have some time to take it out but need a Bag for the camera not too big just for the camera alone thanks ,Rodo uk.:O
ANYONE !