Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #1

I'm a long-time semi-pro - my first serious camera was a Minolta Autocord and my last serious SLR was a Pentax K1000 - so I'm a little mystified by modern, "informative" viewfinders. Two questions about my recently-acquired Sony D770:
1- Does the exposure setting (shutter speed / f-stop or both) blink/flash to tell me I need to switch to flash, my camera is shaking, or is it just glad to see me? <grin>
2- Whether I use A or S priority, or Manual, is the meter functional in these modes and how would I know (something blinks, flashes, waves a sign)?

By the way, I found no information in Sony's camera manual on these topics. If you can point me to the right page, please do so.

Thanks to all for your kind responses.
reidserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:05 PM   #2
Administrator

reidserv wrote:
Quote:
I'm a long-time semi-pro - my first serious camera was a Minolta Autocord and my last serious SLR was a Pentax K1000 - so I'm a little mystified by modern, "informative" viewfinders. Two questions about my recently-acquired Sony D770:
1- Does the exposure setting (shutter speed / f-stop or both) blink/flash to tell me I need to switch to flash, my camera is shaking, or is it just glad to see me? <grin>
From a quick look through the manual, it's telling you that there is insufficient light to take the photo without a flash when you see that.

With most models, if your settings are not allowing the camera to use a shutter speed of 1/focal length or faster, it will alert you. For example, if you're zoomed into a focal length equivalent to 100mm, and your shutter speed isn't 1/100 second or faster without a flash, it may let you know to popup the flash.

With some cameras, a blinking shutter speed or aperture indicator can also mean that your settings would exceed the capabilities of the camera/lens. For example, if you tried to use a shutter speed of 1/1000 second in darker conditions, and the camera couldn't open up the aperture any more than f/2, it may flash at you to let you know your settings could cause a problem. You'd have to experiment to see if it does something like that, too.

Quote:
2- Whether I use A or S priority, or Manual, is the meter functional in these modes and how would I know (something blinks, flashes, waves a sign)?
You'll have to try and it try to figure out what it's doing if the manual doesn't cover it. With some models, a half press of the shutter is needed to activate the meter. Some give you a scale, some give you a +- EV indication to let you know how your settings are impacting exposure in manual exposure modes, and some don't give you a thing (no visible meter). Most show you the shutter/aperture being used, based on what the meter is reading for the metering mode selecte.

In non-manual modes, it should be relatively simple to see what it's doing (since if you're in Av mode and select an aperture, it will show you the shutter speed it plans to use; or if you're in Tv (Shutter Priority) mode and select a Shutter Speed, it will show you the Aperture it plans to use. Then, you could use Exposure Compensation and it will show you a +- EV setting if you want to expose brighter or darker.

You'll find download links for your model's manual here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...D770&LOC=3

You may also want to browse through it's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/d770.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote