Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:59 AM   #11

??lookss ookkaayyy ttooo mmeeee??

Seriously, your last post is 'normal'.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:33 PM   #12

Hi Ria .... yes looks good to me too.

I finally managed to take my first pic with the R1 ..... Tripod, time delay. 1/80 about f6. at 120mm zoom. 10 megapixel raw processed with Capture 1 Raw convertor then cropped down to 285 by 239 pixels and saved as highest quality jpeg. No other modifications.

YesterdayI got a small holster-case for it so might get the courage to take it to the dance competiton this Sunday. Then there will be some more ballroom pics and I will post one. I am especially keen to see how the 24mm wide angle behaves. I am cautiously optimistic because from that picture of the moon, we see that the lens is working to a good quality even as we are breakng up into pixels.
As as far as concerns composition I predict tht being able to work more with the viewfinder rather than lcd will bea higher rate of acceptable pictures.

Has your friend had her birthday yet?

Hi Nick thanks for your comments. I will find a copy of Neat Image and try it. It will be most interesting trying the R1 for ballroom ambient light pics. The Ricoh had been making incredibly high amounts of chroma noise in the shadows. I have tested R1 in low light at home and find thatto be better... though some patterned blue chroma has been giving me cause for concern. I will have more examples to explore by Monday no doubt.

Best wishes

Glyn
Attached Images

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:28 PM   #13

Nicholas, you are 2 funny!!� ??Are yyyyou sssure you're notttt really a Texannn?�

Glyn: Funny how the moon looks just as beautiful the world over ...

My friend's birthday is November 14th. I will try to post a picture of her opening her present, ok?

I have not had a lot of experience with the R1 in low light or indoors as of yet, but from what I have seen, I wouldn't really like to use it past 800 ASA unless I had to. That's still a big step up from my previous digital toys, a Canon S50 and a Panny FZ4 so I'm still happy camper. ('Tho Nicholas posted some 1600 shots a while back that were pretty good at 4X6, you might want to check them out.)

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to more ballroom shots with the R-1! Ria

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:56 PM   #14

What's wrong with a few pores?

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:08 PM   #15

I agree with Nick on the shutter speed for ballroom dancing.

You have to boost that to ISO 400 and get the 1/160 shutter even with the Ricoh. With the R1 you would want it at ISO 800, and maybe a faster shuuter, or also zoom in and get a close frame even if it means a bit smaller apperture.

Ideally I would think you would want 1/300 to 1/400 for the shutter, but the light won't likely permit that. But I think I might go as high as needed with the ISO to at least get 1/120 and a proper exposure.

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:23 PM   #16

Hi, Kenbalbari:

I normally I would agree that there's nothing wrong with wrinkles and pores ... when you're 20!

My friend, however, is nearly 70 but doesn't know it. (She has dementia.) I'm afraid if I show her your edit she won't recognize herself, and I'd rather make her smile and remember her beauty on her birthday than be sad. Although your version makes a much more interesting character portrait, in her case I think I'll go with the ol' vaseline-on-the-lens trick!

But if you don't mind, for future reference, can you give me a quick rundown on how you did the edit? I really liked it. Ria
Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:32 PM   #17

Quote:
But if you don't mind, for future reference, can you give me a quick rundown on how you did the edit? I really liked it. Ria
Gamma: .8
Unsharp Mask:
radius .1, amount 2.0

Old Nov 4, 2006, 5:01 PM   #18

Thanks, Kenbalbari.

Where to set the threshold confuses the heck out of me. I appreciate the hints. Ria
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:06 PM   #19

Hi Ria, Nick, Ken

Ok ... I did take the camera to the ballroom competiton and I followed the idea of going for high iso ... did 800 and 1/60 sec exposure generally round f4.

I think next time I would try 400iso ... I needed to go quite heavily withdenoising .... mainly because I was working in dim light somuch of the picture was shadow detaill until brightened ... and then the noise showed a lot.

I discovered something abou tthe action follow focus too .... subsequently confiemed in the manual .... Follow focus only works to keep tracking when button pushed half down if fast speed or wide apeture. Slow speed and it defaults to monitor mode .... IE focus locks when half pressed .. which was the very thing I did NOT want .... because then wen going for full press .... the cmaera would take its time to go through the whole process of re focussing. Personally I would like to see a firmware hack for this so that I could have choice.

The manyally opearted zoom was a joy .... rather than electronic rocker switch zoom .... took me back to my old Canon days where framing in the heat of the moment was a doddle.

However,I am going to have to reorganise my focussing skills and methods and I would turley appreciate any input. I was very disappointed when I discovered that the follow focus only works as such with higher speeds. Part of my 'actoin' intent with ballroom dancers is to capture the movenent with slow shutter speeds .... eg I do want the actual outlines of the dancers to be sharp .. but the swirl of a dress ... or sometimes, efven the sudenness of an arm/shoulder movement I want to be slightly blurred to feel the movement. But on Sunday I do not think I got anything liek the sharpness needed .. even with 800 ISO.

On Monday I was at the seaside in Bognor Regis on the south coast of England. There I got some very nice pics ... sharp and lovely colour tones. Here I wouls appreciate some advice .. I tried to reduce them to the max of 250kb as allowed on this forum when attaching .... and they simply did not reduce. They started off as 10meg jpeg fine but would go down to no more than about 350kb.

Anyway ..... here are the pics ....

All the best

Glyn

By the way .. Ria ... has your friend had her birthday yet?

Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:09 PM   #20

Attached Images